PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Now that I have good cables to feed through my Framemiester (HD Retrovision cables enroute) I'm buying up Saturn games again.

I don't have a decent cable for my Dreamcast and I have no idea how to feed VGA Into the Framemiester. I found a good VGA Cord but beyond that ?? S-video is just OK it looks alright but nothing great. The Hyperkin HDMI cable was as garbage as people think it is.

No real focus in my collection for either. Mostly just Arcade ports. Pretty much everything I buy lately is an arcade port even on Swtich, I got M2's awesome sauce of a Darius collection.

But what about qwirky Only in Japan stuff that I won't need my Kana book to play through?

And Grandia 2 or Skies of Arcadia?

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
There's the DCHDMI that gets fully digital HDMI signal from the DC with integer scaling for modern TV.

No real use for the Framemeister using that but it's pretty much the best image you can get out of a DC.

Reactions: Anthony817

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
HD Retrovision is working on a cable but who knows how long that'll take.

The DC HDMI is a bit expensive and I know there are a couple of other options. The Akura boxes.

I'm thinking VGA I just need a means of feeding it through.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
I'm thinking VGA I just need a means of feeding it through.
If you already got a good VGA box or buffered cable, you mask ask @Yakumo or @Bad_Ad84 about interfacing it with the Framemeister.

I think there's a simple adapter to build to combine both VGA sync signals into a single one that the Framemeister will understand.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I thought VGA to Component, I have a D-TERMINAL Adapter

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Looking around it seems my best bet is the Akura box

dj898

Jun 1, 2019
what.is.it.
AGName
dj898
AG Join Date
But what about qwirky Only in Japan stuff that I won't need my Kana book to play through?

from memory Saturn got close to 2000 titles released in Japan.
take your pick :)

regarding DC I used the 3rd party VGA box with the Dell 15" VGA monitor back in early 2000s and had no problem.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I'm trying to get most of the SNK games on Saturn, The 480i on some of those Neo Geo collections on PS2 are terrible but Saturn...nice and crisp.

Astal is going up in price, worth it? It's a nice looking game, but the prices it's going for are ridiculous considering it was a $15 game until recently.

Druid II

Registered
Jun 5, 2019
from memory Saturn got close to 2000 titles released in Japan.
take your pick :)

regarding DC I used the 3rd party VGA box with the Dell 15" VGA monitor back in early 2000s and had no problem.

2000 is the total of all titles released, but that includes every regional dupe and budget re-release. I'm not sure 6 different language european version of Fifa 98 counts.

JP total was less than 1300, but once you remove the Satakore re-releases, the ram cart/virtua gun pack-in versions, combined package releases, and then the really poor titles like visual novels and mah-jong and things like Aquazone (a fish tank simulator, 6 separate releases with different fish options), then you are probably closer to less than 1000.

Wesker

Registered
May 31, 2019
2000 is the total of all titles released, but that includes every regional dupe and budget re-release. I'm not sure 6 different language european version of Fifa 98 counts.

JP total was less than 1300, but once you remove the Satakore re-releases, the ram cart/virtua gun pack-in versions, combined package releases, and then the really poor titles like visual novels and mah-jong and things like Aquazone (a fish tank simulator, 6 separate releases with different fish options), then you are probably closer to less than 1000.

About 1100-1200 unique games were released for the Sega Saturn in all regions combined. More than any other Sega system, including the Mega Drive.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I use a 20" CRT computer monitor for my DC, and it looks amazing on that. I recently got a Kuro to replace my previous VGA adapter, and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007

I noticed the Dreamcast has a lot of Visual Novels too. It's not too hard to find an off the beaten path Dreamcast game, but Saturn is different. Some of the best are stupid expensive like Turbo and Try Rush Deppy.

I use a 20" CRT computer monitor for my DC, and it looks amazing on that. I recently got a Kuro to replace my previous VGA adapter, and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

For the time being I got a new S-video cable it looked identical to my last one but it was a tighter fit and does look pretty nice using the Firebrand X settings modified for S-video. Playing a lot of San Fransisco Rush 2049 with it, looks very crisp.

Last edited:

Make a donation