rayik24

Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
rayik24
AG Join Date
November 8, 2013
Posted this on Assembler games. Useful way of organizing Saturn Rhea games:

Played with Rmenu rather expensively over the last few days. You can really do some really interesting game organizing

I do not like alphabetical lists of games. I like to organize by genre. such as:

action
adventure
fighters
. 2d
. 3d
[etc]

With everdrives and the dreamcast usb-gdrom it is easy to do as it allows folders and nested folders.

I found with rmenu you can organize similarly without using folders. Rmenu displays lists that are 24 lines long. You can thus create 24 line "pages" to organize games. Rmenu "L" and "R" button presses advance the display to the next 24 line "page." You can thus create lists of games with genres lists on specific "pages"

In creating the file structure, I created folders that contained games. Where I wanted "blank" spots I just put a text file in the folder.

In editing the rmenu folder, I found you could not have a blank ("") name for a game. If you did, it would not properly create the list and selecting games would not work. However, you could put a dot (".") as a game name and it would create the list fine and game selection worked ok.

By doing this you can create a very readable list of games. You just have to organize in 24 line "pages."

With the 128GB card, I ended up with 407 folders containing about 200 games. I've attached the rmenu.ini file so you can see how I used genre names, dots and cues to go to next page to organize it by24 line "pages." I've also attached my working "index to sd card" which is much more readable. Just to give a feel for how the organization can work, below are a couple of 24 lines "pages" of the rmenu display I use.

[Could not attach the two .txt files as that file format is not allowed. PM if you want a copy]

Code:
01 = RMENU
02 = .
03 = .
04 = .
05 = *******  ACTION  *******
06 = .
07 = .
08 = BURNING RANGERS
09 = GRIDRUNNER
10 = GUNGRIFFON - THE EURASIAN CONFLICT
11 = MASS DESTRUCTION
12 = MECHWARRIOR 2
13 = MR BONES (DISC 1)
14 = MR BONES (DISC 2)
15 = SHINOBI LEGIONS
16 = SKELETON WARRIORS
17 = SONIC 3D BLAST
18 = SOVIET STRIKE
19 = TOMB RAIDER
20 = VIRTUAL-ON
21 = .
22 = .
23 = .
24 = (MORE ON NEXT PAGE)

Code:
265 = *******  SHUMPS  *******
266 = .
267 = .
268 = *******  A LIST  *******
269 = .
270 = .
271 = BATSUGUN
272 = BATTLE GAREGGA
273 = DARIUS GAIDEN
274 = DARIUS 2
275 = DODONPACHI
276 = GUNBIRD
277 = LAYER SECTION
278 = LAYER SECTION 2
279 = PANZER DRAGOON
280 = PANZER DRAGOON ZWEI
281 = RADIANT SILVER GUN
282 = SALAMANDER DELUXE PACK
283 = SOUKYU GURENTAI
284 = THUNDER FORCE GOLD PACK 1
285 = THUNDER FORCE GOLD PACK 2
286 = THUNDER FORCE V
287 = .
288 = (MORE ON NEXT PAGE)

neo

Feb 1, 2019
AGName
Mrneo240
AG Join Date
06/08/2010
Good insight from a consumer

ultrasteve

Jul 8, 2020
Good post, but I can't seem to get this to work. I create my SD card with SD Card Maker, and add Empty Folders where I'd like the separators to be. After I've 'saved' that, I put text files in the empty folders called info.txt, and each is just a dot as the actual text. In the 'headers' I make those the text I want.

I run RMenu but when I boot the Saturn it lists the headers and the dots at the top of the screen, and then all games underneath. What am I doing wrong?!

rayik24

Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
rayik24
AG Join Date
November 8, 2013
Lots of tinkering edited everything after the initial creation. I'd copy the contents of the created list and save it into a text file. Make changes and create new game list. Paste the contents of text file into game list and make changes as needed. Copy contents to new file before saving game list.

It took a good amount of time. To me it was worth it was I'm not changing anything after finalizing it.

ultrasteve

Jul 8, 2020
Thanks for the reply. For me, copying and pasting would always break it. I had to just recreate it several times like you, changing things with trial and error. I got the card finished, and have saved it to an image file for future - I won't be changing it again!

Make a donation