• Hey, Guest!

XenForo 2.2 is coming soon, it's bringing many new features such as a PWA app for OG etc. It also comes with the drawback of more costs to update themes/some addons. It'll also remove access to some older browsers which'll suck but these shouldn't be used as their security sucks.

With the costs already looming we decided to improve OG's look with a new fancy theme that gives OG a more gamer feel. This has cost us only slightly more than it would have cost to renew the current theme and runs alot nicer.

You can beta test it here: Linky. (Please note only dark is live, light will come once issues are ironed out.)

If the current theme breaks on update we will end of life it, but we'll make something looking similar based on the default free theme so don't fret!

Saturn Saturn Satiator Progress Thread

Trimesh

2020 Donator
2020 Donator
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
Maybe he should have asked someone that has experience of electronics manufacturing... Typically the reason people make things in the US there is that it has some special requirement (like being covered by ITAR) that means you can't do it anywhere else. Most of the US based CMs are good quality, but certainly aren't where you would want to go if you need either cheap or fast.

Greg2600

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Given the amount of time he took to select that facility, I have a feeling he looked into Chinese sourcing. That said, very few of today's flash carts are totally sourced there. Krikzz, Cybdyn, RetroHQ-UK, Harmony, Atarimax all build the units themselves, with PCB's and chips from China usually. Not sure about Terra Onion. I'm glad his updates will be public now, and hopefully production can pick up, though the LA area is a mess right now. I'm not sure where he's sourcing these, you'd assume Northern CA but who knows.

PS: Ironically yesterday a bunch of us were going back and forth on another forum about the project, so idk if he read that or what.

Trimesh

2020 Donator
2020 Donator
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
Given the amount of time he took to select that facility, I have a feeling he looked into Chinese sourcing. That said, very few of today's flash carts are totally sourced there. Krikzz, Cybdyn, RetroHQ-UK, Harmony, Atarimax all build the units themselves, with PCB's and chips from China usually. Not sure about Terra Onion. I'm glad his updates will be public now, and hopefully production can pick up, though the LA area is a mess right now. I'm not sure where he's sourcing these, you'd assume Northern CA but who knows.

PS: Ironically yesterday a bunch of us were going back and forth on another forum about the project, so idk if he read that or what.
To a large extent it depends on what volumes you are making - but unless you are doing your whole design with parts you can get from Mouser or Digikey it's typically way quicker to fill a BOM in China than anywhere else, simply because the supply chain there is huge.

Greg2600

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Well it's difficult to discuss the matter since his posts and comments are behind a paywall.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
2020 Donator
2019 Donator
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
Most of the US based CMs are good quality, but certainly aren't where you would want to go if you need either cheap or fast.
I'm sure he didn't expect it to be cheaper, but he may have expected it to be faster to do test-runs, troubleshoot, iterate last two points until product converged to something satisfactory, and launch production, given the matching schedule and practicality of in person meetings (pre-pandemic).

Trimesh

2020 Donator
2020 Donator
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
Well it's difficult to discuss the matter since his posts and comments are behind a paywall.
Just another of the myriad of reasons I despise the whole "Patreon" / net.beggar "culture".

Greg2600

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
I'm working on a shopping cart now! The assembler tells me the boards are all soldered and I'm waiting for them to get to test and programming. I'll get a proper post up this weekend.
He replied on Patreon the other day with that, so I guess an update is forthcoming.

Druid II

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone made any applications yet that take advantage of the USB connection, or run on the Saturn side to dump data onto the SD Card? I was hoping I could use the Satiator for backing up my memory cards.

Greg2600

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Has anyone made any applications yet that take advantage of the USB connection, or run on the Saturn side to dump data onto the SD Card? I was hoping I could use the Satiator for backing up my memory cards.
I think he's the only one using the micro USB port, and that was for testing. Recall Prof mentioning he would probably have to write an app that would transfer saves. So that's a no on both questions.

Druid II

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and last time I asked him, he said the source is there, anyone can write a dumper.

Guess I'll have to wait a little while more until the device gets out in the wild.