Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Sega CD model 1 not booting games motherboard problem

Tokimemofan

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
Trying to fix a Sega CD model 1. System plays audio CDs but doesn’t boot games. It is definitely the motherboard, I have tested the drive and mixer/power boards in another unit and they both work fine. I have recapped the board but no change. All the traces seem to be good and the solder joints on the main asic seem to be fine. The bios loads normally and there are saves on the system so most of the functionality works. Any ideas?

segasonicfan

Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
segasonicfan
AG Join Date
Sept 23, 2011
hrmmm this is unusual, normally any difficulty playing games has to do with the CD PCB section.
However, the main board is known for having nasty capacitor failures, Ive changed out the silver SMD electrolytics and there was plenty of acid on the units I've worked on. I would start there.

Tokimemofan

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
hrmmm this is unusual, normally any difficulty playing games has to do with the CD PCB section.
However, the main board is known for having nasty capacitor failures, Ive changed out the silver SMD electrolytics and there was plenty of acid on the units I've worked on. I would start there.
I gave up on it, I had already recapped it. It seems to have been the main asic had failed. The odd part is that it wouldn’t even read a game as an audio cd and would just keep spinning the disc. I’ve fixed many of these over the years but never seen a problem like this one

segasonicfan

Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
segasonicfan
AG Join Date
Sept 23, 2011
I gave up on it, I had already recapped it. It seems to have been the main asic had failed. The odd part is that it wouldn’t even read a game as an audio cd and would just keep spinning the disc. I’ve fixed many of these over the years but never seen a problem like this one

Ah, I understand. Well, if you want to send it my way for parts I could take a stab at it. Ive had a lot of success repairing these, and came up with a new upgrade for the ejecting drive. I have a bunch of videos to compile on my site with a new guide, but just haven't had the time to do it yet. I also have some NOS ASICs and am good at replacing those.

Tokimemofan

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
Ah, I understand. Well, if you want to send it my way for parts I could take a stab at it. Ive had a lot of success repairing these, and came up with a new upgrade for the ejecting drive. I have a bunch of videos to compile on my site with a new guide, but just haven't had the time to do it yet. I also have some NOS ASICs and am good at replacing those.
I might hit you up on that, I think I have a few boards with asic problems

BlackFX

Feb 12, 2021
If your thinking about parting out some broken ones I am currently looking for the VRAM ICs off one...

segasonicfan

Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
segasonicfan
AG Join Date
Sept 23, 2011
I might hit you up on that, I think I have a few boards with asic problems
cool :cool:

If your thinking about parting out some broken ones I am currently looking for the VRAM ICs off one...
are you sure its VRAM? That's such a rare failure. In my experience it's usually trace issues. Does SCD have diff VRAM from the genny btw? Might be easier to pull it from a Gen1 or Gen2..

Edit nvm its different IC. Heres the SCD1 VRAM but not that cheap:

BlackFX

Feb 12, 2021
are you sure its VRAM? That's such a rare failure. In my experience it's usually trace issues. Does SCD have diff VRAM from the genny btw? Might be easier to pull it from a Gen1 or Gen2..

Edit nvm its different IC. Heres the SCD1 VRAM but not that cheap:

Yeah, I took an oscilloscope trace of all the data lines on the VRAM and D0 on VRAM1 is stuck low :)

segasonicfan

Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
segasonicfan
AG Join Date
Sept 23, 2011
ah cool. and im assuming you lifted the pin (out of circuit) to confirm its not the ASIC or 68K?

EDIT found TC511664BZ-80 at a good price - are you in USA? Send me a PM after you check.

Make a donation