• Hey, Guest!

XenForo 2.2 is coming soon, it's bringing many new features such as a PWA app for OG etc. It also comes with the drawback of more costs to update themes/some addons. It'll also remove access to some older browsers which'll suck but these shouldn't be used as their security sucks.

With the costs already looming we decided to improve OG's look with a new fancy theme that gives OG a more gamer feel. This has cost us only slightly more than it would have cost to renew the current theme and runs alot nicer.

You can beta test it here: Linky. (Please note only dark is live, light will come once issues are ironed out.)

If the current theme breaks on update we will end of life it, but we'll make something looking similar based on the default free theme so don't fret!

SEGA Pluto Prototype (Hands-On Review and Ben Heck Repair)

Zeigren

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Zeigren
AG Join Date
01/19/2014
Bernie Stolar; Yes. More money could have been spent on product. I said this from the beginning. There were three things that I wanted in Dreamcast: an online network (for multi-player and digital downloads), DVD support, and internal storage. I had to argue for everything. At one point, I had to ensure the modem didn’t get dropped from the US version. Online was most important to me, so I chose that over DVD and internal storage because my plan was to add those later.
Yeah I think this is right on the money. I put together some quick info and speculation about the Pluto but I'll echo my quick speculation here.

The Pluto is largely the same as the stock Saturn with some small changes. Besides ASIC revisions, alternate parts, and layout changes what makes the Pluto unique is the extension of the cartridge slot to an external bus for the modem and hard drive. The cartridge-to-external-bus is buffered with some bus transceivers which appear to be controlled by IC50.

Sega Pluto Bus Transceivers.png

IC50 looks like it might also act as a middleman between the cartridge and external bus. IC50 is probably some Altera or Xilinx FPGA, or maybe Lattice based on the part choice for IC52.

Sega Pluto IC50.png

Considering that the Modem and HDD PCBs don't appear to be from SOJ or Cross Products, the use of a Seagate HDD instead of a Hitachi one, and that both Pluto's were discovered in the US, my guess is that the Pluto was made by SOA to sell the idea of including a modem and hard drive in the Saturn to SOJ. Or maybe as a concept idea for the Dreamcast? I don't remember all the rumors and stuff from this time period. But going through all the trouble and engineering effort to make it look like a commercial product is a bit much for a simple proof of concept.

Since the Net Link already existed the big selling point of the Pluto would have been the inclusion of a hard drive, so there is likely something on the hard drive. Or at least there was at some point. I think Super Magnetic's "PLUTO 02" also had a hard drive.

Last edited:

Druid II

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of which whatever happened to the Saturn wizard DruidII?
I'm here, but there's no reason for me to post when everything has already been summed up. Yes, the drive button repair was cringe, this thing turns out to have full stock hardware with just some stuff connected to the cart slot, the board is already at its 2nd revision, etc etc etc.
I posted my thoughts already on the youtube comments.

It would be interesting to see the contents of the HDD. I don't think the console itself would delete its contents because it has a stock boot rom, and that one wouldn't even know how to access the hdd. There were pics of some Pluto software on a Saturn CDR, that one may be able to access it, or the modem, but all we have is a screenshot of it, I don't even know who owns it.

But after 24 years, the hdd is probably long dead.

Funny fact by the way, the first Saturn user manuals (in HST-3200 machines) mention a hard drive accessory as "to be released", so it was clearly something they always planned.

Getta Robo

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Getta Robo
AG Join Date
Sep 29, 2008
Hello, I don't have access to twitter, nor Ben has replied to the current process of extracting the data from the HD, has anyone noticed if there is any progress on that?

Getta Robo

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Getta Robo
AG Join Date
Sep 29, 2008
Ah snap I missed that!
Does anyone got information on the current holder's Pluto? It would be a shame if he vanish just like that.

Greg2600

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
I do not think they had any luck getting data off the drive.

Meanwhile the other Pluto-02 just sold at auction for $84,000! This was the unit which we first learned about on the old forum.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
2020 Donator
2019 Donator
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
I do not think they had any luck getting data off the drive.

Meanwhile the other Pluto-02 just sold at auction for $84,000! This was the unit which we first learned about on the old forum.

Good for SuperMagnetic, he was very nice to interact with on the boards.

Where did you read that it was also sold?

Though I do hope one of those ends up at a museum in the long term and not rotten in a dank basement.

Last edited:

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
2020 Donator
2019 Donator
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
They're wrong about the original owner though, he didn't buy it for a few bucks and wasn't featured with Adam Koralik. He used to work for Sega US.

AUSTIN PEYTON

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
That's a shame the data couldn't be extracted. Someone else should give it a whirl.

Greg2600

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
That's a shame the data couldn't be extracted. Someone else should give it a whirl.
Well it's unlikely anything on there would be of much interest. I doubt it's an unreleased game or something like that, and SEGA's actual released NetLink application was clearly superior to whatever they were testing.

Druid II

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
Well it's unlikely anything on there would be of much interest. I doubt it's an unreleased game or something like that, and SEGA's actual released NetLink application was clearly superior to whatever they were testing.
They may have tested lots of stuff that was NOT released, and we don't even know what exactly this machine was supposed to be - why include a hard drive in the first place...?

In Japan they had a karaoke machine (SKC-1000) which was also a Saturn with a HDD and a modem (and a lot more). That's the closest parallel to the Pluto I can think of. If they could make the Pluto the stock unit and then pair it to a separate amplifier and external synth, they could've reduced the cost of the karaoke machine tenfolds. So who knows what we could find on that HDD, if it is readable at all (most SKC-1000 machines are dead today due to HDD errors).

Greg2600

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
The more viable software would have been on whatever devkits or PC's SEGA were using on that Pluto. Whatever they installed I doubt is of any use now.