Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
Hi guys,

I recently picked up a Prototype Sega Saturn contoller and what looks to be a Dev Saturn from "Iguana". I managed some find some more detail on the controller along with a tear down video on the Assembler archieve.

Can't see to find much about the console, any ideas?

It has a switch on the left hand side, which sadly is broken, seems to play US games/not Japanese (although the switch mayhave sorted that) and an Iguana Entertainment asset Sticker. So here’s my question “What is it?” and how would it have been used, also is it worth getting the switch fixed?

PANQdZ0.jpg

hNMrRkD.jpg

kBSueVi.jpg

XpylY60.jpg

jYQiEh4.jpg

Last edited:

supersega

Donator
Donator
Registered
Nov 25, 2019
AGName
supersega
AG Join Date
Jul 25, 2014
Dang!! Nice find. I am willing to bet that the switch is for multiple BIOS regions so that they could have one unit to test multiple game regions. The switch probably came insoldered somehow, so the only way to see what’s wrong is to crack it open. Once you fix it, does the boot up look different when the switch is moved?

Also let me know if you’re ever interested in selling the console. I’d be interested!

Reactions: dyer60

dyer60

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
Dang!! Nice find. I am willing to bet that the switch is for multiple BIOS regions so that they could have one unit to test multiple game regions. The switch probably came insoldered somehow, so the only way to see what’s wrong is to crack it open. Once you fix it, does the boot up look different when the switch is moved?

Also let me know if you’re ever interested in selling the console. I’d be interested!

Thanks!

Yes that’s what I thought it was for, think it was damaged in transit.

I haven’t got the skills to fix it so will put a shout out. No plans to move it on at the minute it’s a great addition to the collection.

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
The switch should be a fairly easy fix. It's a standard switch, so even if the switch itself is screwed a replacement is not hard to find.

dyer60

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
The switch should be a fairly easy fix. It's a standard switch, so even if the switch itself is screwed a replacement is not hard to find.

Agreed, it’s hardly a massive challenge to fix but would prefer a pro to sort it, plus if soldering is required I’m out. Have messed with a few things in the past without great results ???

Nully

Donator
Donator
Sep 14, 2019
AGName
lh
AG Join Date
What do you mean by the switch is broken? Is it physically broken or it doesn't do anything? Are you toggling it while it's turned off? Contact @Bad_Ad84 I would say.

dyer60

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
What do you mean by the switch is broken? Is it physically broken or it doesn't do anything? Are you toggling it while it's turned off? Contact @Bad_Ad84 I would say.

The switch actually rattles around in the socket and doesn't seem to be connected inside, it won't toggle at all.

I forgot about Bad_Ad84, thanks, will drop him a message.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
That seems to be a modified Japanese retail unit. If it's booting US games then it's very likely that the switch was for US/Japanese region selection. The official testing version has a rotary hex switch on it and a little label that lists the codes and the corresponding region. They also optionally had a socket that the CD emulator plugged into.

dyer60

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
I have seen the official tetsing station with all that extra stuff and that's what confused me about this as it is so different.

I think you are probbaly right it is a modified early retail unit. Had a few offers to help me get it repaired so we will soon know what's happening inside!

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
Agreed, it’s hardly a massive challenge to fix but would prefer a pro to sort it, plus if soldering is required I’m out. Have messed with a few things in the past without great results ???

No I hear ya, I'd prefer you did the same if you're not comfortable with it :p
Luckily that will be a trivial fix. Those switches are designed to easily be installed/uninstalled, and the soldering will be minor. I'm sure it won't take whoever you get to do it very long :)

24Nathan

Dec 29, 2019
AGName
24Nathan
Very nice find. I'd love for one of these to pop in the wild and have some rare beta Saturn disc in it. Namely Shenmue!

dyer60

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
Very nice find. I'd love for one of these to pop in the wild and have some rare beta Saturn disc in it. Namely Shenmue!

? Me too! Had my fingers crossed all the time it was in the post. When it arrived with the “Iguana” sticker I died a little and thought “no chance”.

But hey really happy to have it!

Reactions: 24Nathan

dj898

Jun 1, 2019
what.is.it.
AGName
dj898
AG Join Date
have you open your console and have a look inside?
it's possible that the wires were cut before it was sold off.

long time ago I got the Saturn used with Psy-Q dev setup and it also had a similar looking switch but the wires inside were all cut off. I thought of fixing but then I got hold of several CartDev systems offloaded from the gaming studio I sold that one plus another Saturn console with NMI cable to someone from the old Assemblergames forum. :)

dyer60

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
Not yet, it is currently with someone who knows more than me and who has offered to help repair it, so fingers crossed I should have an update soon.

dyer60

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
Ok, so got this repaired. Nothing interesting inside just a standard region mod. Plays US and Jap games. my guess is that Iguana got hold of an early Saturn and did the mod to support the development and testing of their games.

Massive thank you to @Bad_Ad84 who did the repair. legend, thank you again.

UcyO9YOr.jpg

O24eX9e.jpg

Reactions: speedyink

Make a donation