Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Self-contained PS3 homebrew dev environment using Docker

einsteinx2

Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
github.com
Why?

After spending a ton of time failing to get a PS3 development environment set up on macOS, I found a great PS3 homebrew development Docker image created by mlafeldt, however it was missing the tiny3d library that I needed to build some homebrew I was trying to compile. Since Docker is cross-platform, you can use these on Linux, macOS, or Windows as long as you have Docker installed (note that I don't use Windows and have not tested these there, so the instructions below may not work exactly as-is, but the images should work fine).

What?

My image is based directly on the mlafeldt/ps3dev image and simply adds the tine3d library, though I plan to add more libraries in the future. I've tested this building some PSL1GHT samples and other homebrew.

If you're not familiar with Docker, first get it installed, then just pull the image you want from the Docker Hub (the docker run command below will do that automatically the first time). I also have the Dockerfiles hosted in Github repos so you can easily modify them to your liking (for example to add extra libraries that you need for whatever project you're working on).

How?

First cd into the source code directory of your homebrew project (for example a PSL1GHT sample project), then you can build the project directly by running docker run -it --rm -v "$PWD:/src" einsteinx2/ps3dev-tiny3d make. The compiled elf will be in the source code directory on your host machine. If you'd like to enter the container and use an interactive Bash shell, simply exclude the make command at the end. You can also run other commands such as make clean.

The Docker container will automatically be destroyed and recreated each time using these commands, but the image will only be pulled once. If you'd like to keep the container alive to re-use, just remove the --rm flag and relaunch the container directly later to use it again (you'll have to look up the correct Docker command for that).

Links

Docker Hub page

https://hub.docker.com/r/einsteinx2/ps3dev-tiny3d
ps3dev-tiny3d.svg
ps3dev-tiny3d.svg

Github repository for the Dockerfile (feel free to improve or add more tools and submit PRs!)

Hopefully this image will help you to get started in PS3 homebrew development or modifying existing homebrew without going through the (potentially complicated or impossible) toolchain setup process.

Happy hacking!

Last edited:

Make a donation