PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
First of all, Can Microsoft ever get a name right? 360 was stupid, One was stupid, naming XBOX like they're phones (Series X) is stupid but I love XBOX anyway and my one X (STUPID NAME) is my primary current console while the PS4 just plays Yakuza and Guilty Gear.

I'm a little confused on Backward compatibility they've implied it'll play everything, but some articles are saying just the stuff that's already backward compatible on the Bone. There are TONS of XBOX games I want to play again but I don't have a working XBOX and don't know if I have room for another Big ass OG XBOX so I need to know what this beast will play.

xbox-series-x-616453.1.jpg

I can't complain on how it looks, they didn't really change the controller too much just added a button and changed the D-pad. Not sure If I'm a fan of the D-pad change I love the One's clicky d-pad.

So what do we think? We grabbing this bad boy next year?

Solotaire

Registered
May 30, 2019
Honestly, compared to Xbox One, 360 was fine. As for the new device, Id put it on my desk, and hook it to my monitor.

WorldGenesis

:D
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Donations
£7.40
AGName
WorldGenesis
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
I would like to know what the Devkits are like for that series if the retail unit looks like that XD

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Naming scheme: Completely retarded
Looks: Bland, but that's not a bad thing. Only wish it came in other colors - I don't really want yet another black cube. But meh, can always just slap a sticker on, or spraypaint it.
Games: If the XBO is anything to go by, probably not worth getting the console for. PS has more exclusives, and those few that are on Xbox will get ported to Windows eventually.
Verdict: Most likely won't buy one, unless the PS5 ends up looking positively offensive.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
My experience with the current gen has been that I can play most Xbox "exclusives" on my PC, whereas the PS4 has quite a few good games that actually are exclusive to the PS4 and no other system. So for me, the PS4 and PC (and recently also the Switch) cover pretty much 100% of the games I actually want to play. The next gen could be different, but I doubt it. Right now I'm thinking that a new PC and a PS5 will be my future gaming setup. I wouldn't say that I absolutely wouldn't get the new Xbox, but I think there would need to be some really major exclusive for it to convince me. That could happen, but it seems pretty unlikely.

Speaking of PC gaming, Half Life: Alyx is supposedly coming out in just a few months, and that could actually convince me to get a VR headset. I think my current PC could handle VR, but I'm not sure if it could handle that game - so I might need to build a new PC. I need to build a new PC eventually anyway, since my current one is getting rather old. Even though it's old, it's still pretty powerful - but it's only a matter of time before it needs to be replaced. I have to decide how important that is relative to other things. I also think that if I'm going to build a new PC, I want to wait until the NVIDIA 3000-series GPUs (they're called "Ampere", I think) come out.

JustAnyone

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
AGName
mindaugasgt
AG Join Date
Jul 10, 2018
If it really has that 100% BC with older gen consoles, which they promised, then i'm definitely picking one.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I don't think PS5 will be the exclusive monster the PS4 was. Yakuza is already coming to Xbox everything else seems to be going to Switch.

I'm more compelled by what Microsoft's recently acquired studios are cooking than by anything Sony is.

It'll be interesting to see what Sony brings to the table but of the two I'm going with Xbox first, PS5 later.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
I'll probably buy it, it looks nice and the specs sounds great, and backwards compatibility is a godsend. I'm nowhere near finished with Xbox One games, and occasionally find 360 games I've missed so just having one (x)box sounds pretty good to me.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
If it really has that 100% BC with older gen consoles, which they promised, then i'm definitely picking one.

Based on what I've read, it isn't 100% BC with all Xbox consoles, just the Xbox One and all of the games that were BC on the One. The Xbox One didn't have 100% compatibility, so the Series X will only be able to play the games the One could play.

With the PS5, I think Sony has said it'll be totally BC with the PS4's library, and that's probably it.

One thing I don't think either company has clarified yet is to what degree PS4 and Xbox One games will be enhanced on the new systems. I haven't heard anything about that yet.

Last edited:

Solotaire

Registered
May 30, 2019
Based on what I've read, it isn't 100% BC with all Xbox consoles, just the Xbox One and all of the games that were BC on the One. The Xbox One didn't have 100% compatibility, so the Series X will only be able to play the games the One could play.

There aren't many things I wouldn't do for a fully 360/XB1 backwards compatible unit.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
There aren't many things I wouldn't do for a fully 360/XB1 backwards compatible unit.

Really? Why not just buy a 360? They’re not very expensive. The 360 supports more OG Xbox games than the One as well, so if you just had a Series X and a 360, that would cover a pretty large majority of games for every system.

Kuriatsu

May 30, 2019
Wall of text warning!

I've never been an xbox girl. In my adult life, I've almost always gone for nintendo or sony's consoles. (though I do own an xbox 1s for 4k movies coughyournamecoughcough) and I feel that this new xbox is really just more of the same and its not particularly...a box...
Its a rectangle....Its neither an X nor a box. When will they make a true xbox?

I'm kidding...That argument has probably been used un-ironically far too often.
The *new xbox* isn't really impressive to me, IMO the console generations are impressive but only under certain terms.

The ps1, ps2, and ps3 were impressive because they broke the mold, the playstation was a very different console than what I was used to, and a ps2 was just as different because it had a different feeling to it while still retaining backwards compatibility with almost all of the ps1 games(there were like....8 games that didn't work with the ps2 in the ntsc-us region...)

The ps3 was amazing looking, but the feeling it had was kind of....dry...With the ps4, its like the ps3 ps3 looking at a mirror of itself. Neither are bad consoles at all. but they are a bit....dry...But I think the ps4 is effectively just a suped up ps3. The ps3 was not a suped up ps2. the ps2 is not a suped up ps1, and the ps1 was not a suped up snes.

The ps4 is more appealing to play, despite being a suped up ps3, not because of superior graphics, or better management of memory, but because it feels better to play by a little bit. The controller is ever so slightly more ergonomic, the games CAN flow better, and it just "feels" better, if that makes any sense.

All that being said...
The xbox was definitely a different experience. The xbox was much more...."elite" I mean the 360 even had an edition called the "xbox 360 elite"

It had more more dedicated FPS games than sony or nintendo, it had a little more in almost every field except for what I cared about when the console released; JRPGs, since then I have broadened my horizons with games. (but even now the ps3 still feels a bit....dry)

While I've never been an xbox girl (though I have given each of the respective xbox consoles a try, from the xbox classic to the xbox 360 to the xbox 1S) Each of the xbox consoles have retained the same feeling and as a result, its a little off-putting. I feel like the xbox brand is kinda like using a golf club with sandpaper gloves. Sure its a great idea that can keep the club in your hands, but how comfortable are they to use with extended use?

So that's something to be said for it, the consoles creation team at MS knows what they want for the console and it works for that fanbase, I guess.

The *new xbox* is one of those consoles that is just "more of the same" to me.
I watched the launch trailer in 4k. It doesn't look particularly impressive to me beyond the hellblade(?) games graphics, but something about it looks unrefined...But with this process, things usually get better closer to launch.

I'm going to wait til I hear things about the launch games reviews and the consoles UI before I say anything further about it, but it seems as though microsoft is definitely aiming for the same audience as the xbox, the xbox 360, and the xbox one/S/X and that's not a bad thing per se.
But it wouldn't hurt to shake things up either...

With everything that I've said, I guess it's also possible that I'm biased or judging prematurely based on my experiences with xbox in general thus far.

however, while I am still interested in the dev builds for the consoles....its just that's kinda where my interest stays with xbox consoles and if the same game is on ps2/ps3/ps4, then I'd go with the playstation versions every time.

Awbacon

Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
I’m into the black slab monolith design. I care less about aesthetics and more about temp control so it doesn’t eat shit and die right after the warranty is out

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
2001-a-space-odyssey-monolith.jpg

This is gonna be my living room next Christmas.

Reactions: cta

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Doesn't look too small to me... I bet you could fit a giant embryo or two in there, maybe even an EVA pod

Solotaire

Registered
May 30, 2019
Really? Why not just buy a 360? They’re not very expensive. The 360 supports more OG Xbox games than the One as well, so if you just had a Series X and a 360, that would cover a pretty large majority of games for every system.

Honestly? Just aesthetics. I don't like having many systems hooked up in my entertainment system. I have multiple 360s, they are just all in storage, save 1. :)

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
What with all controllers being wireless now, just hook up as many as you want - only put them behind closed cabinet doors and nobody'll be any the wiser. (But leave the back open, for cooling.)

Make a donation