Shall we discuss the next XBOX?

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Honestly? Just aesthetics. I don't like having many systems hooked up in my entertainment system. I have multiple 360s, they are just all in storage, save 1. :)

That makes sense, I guess. Personally I like to have as many systems set up as possible; though, it does make sense to reduce the number of systems when BC is an option. For example, I don't have a Wii set up currently, since my Wii U can play Wii games. I eventually want to have separate setups for older and for slightly newer systems (360 and newer). I expect that if I were to do this, the latter setup would probably have 5 or 6 consoles connected to an LCD or OLED.

I guess all of that is just a long way of saying that I like the way all of my systems look, plus I like playing games on their original systems - so BC is something that I'm fine either with or without. Minimalism isn't what I'm going for though, so I guess that's one difference between our preferences.

The ps3 was amazing looking, but the feeling it had was kind of....dry...With the ps4, its like the ps3 ps3 looking at a mirror of itself. Neither are bad consoles at all. but they are a bit....dry...But I think the ps4 is effectively just a suped up ps3. The ps3 was not a suped up ps2. the ps2 is not a suped up ps1, and the ps1 was not a suped up snes.

That's not really true though, because the PS3 and the PS4 have almost nothing in common hardware-wise - they use totally different architectures. On the other hand, the PS1 and PS2 both use the same CPU architecture (MIPS) and have other hardware similarities, plus the PS2 has the ability to use the PS1's hardware in PS2 games. If you're just saying that the graphics didn't change enough, that may be true - but I think that's mainly because advancement in graphics hardware is happening slower than it did in the past. I think the reason for that is because, once realtime graphics reach a certain point, improvements in graphical fidelity become harder to notice. So, making a noticeable improvement in graphics quality requires a bigger increase in processing power than it used to.

Assuming that graphics continue to improve in the future, eventually it'll reach a point where near-perfect realism is possible, so any increases in processing power after that point won't have any noticeable effect on the realism of the graphics. That means that additional power might affect the types of objects and processes that can be simulated, but the level of realism would be the same.

Last edited:

A. Snow

Jun 2, 2019
AGName
A. Snow
AG Join Date
2000 or so
I knew they were going to do it but I still hate the cell phone model they are going to. Dropping multiple upgraded systems during the console life just reeks of cash grab and developer laziness. This goes for Sony as much as MS as well.

I used to look forward to each new generation to see how much they improved upon the last. Now I just wonder how they are going to screw me over.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Nobody is holding a gun to your head

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
Nobody is holding a gun to your head
You don't know that!

What I'd like personally, is for Microsoft to completely assume that the Xbox-is-just-a-PC and ship it with an option to use it as a Windows PC. It'd be a decent and clean PC bang-for-bucks, and would still benefit from its consoleness because there will be tons of unit with the same exact hardware.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I like the idea Rerez had of different manufacturers making XBOXes 3DO style.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
So...FORWARDS compatibility

I wasn't ready to move on from my One X.

Thing is...why include the original XBOX One? that thing struggles to run...basically everything and doesn't have a UHD Blu Ray drive. S and X yeah even S I feel might hold things back a bit.

DeChief

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
DeChief, Durandal
AG Join Date
Sometime in 2014?
For me, there's little point in getting a Series X. The only Microsoft exclusives I ever cared about were the Halo games which are all soon to be available on PC, where most of my friends play games these days anyway. In the previous generation everyone had a 360 and Xbox Live; it was by far the best console and the best place to play games online, but now console netplay isn't special and I don't see any point in paying for it anymore.

The only way they could grab me back in would be to provide a console just as powerful as current gen PCs with RTX cards, but for $500 USD or less, with opportunities to upgrade the same console further down the line like you can with a PC. I would rather not be buying a "Series X Pro" or something stupid later, just give me a cheaper and more effective upgrade path. But even if they were to accomplish that borderline impossible task, it would still be a tough sell considering their lack of enticing games.

But maybe that's just me... I'm not playing games anywhere near as much as I used to, and when I do play something it's often from the 80's or 90's, or a modern fighting game online.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I don't really care about PC Gaming (and the "master race" people really don't make me want to) so the XBOX to me feels like a middle ground between Console and PC.

I'm glad I don't have to rush out and get a new XBOX so I can play Forza 8 or Horizon 5. I feel like the One X has more to give us.

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
No exclusives (just better graphics)

Also there's rumors that it's gonna have a PC mode, running ye ole' Windows, coming with Steam as well as the Epic launcher. But take that with a grain of salt.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Also there's rumors that it's gonna have a PC mode, running ye ole' Windows, coming with Steam as well as the Epic launcher. But take that with a grain of salt.

That sounds kinda far-fetched, but if it were true it'd be a pretty smart move for Microsoft. It seems like they'd probably still charge something for the Windows license though, but I guess that depends on Microsoft's strategy for it. Still, I feel like if this were actually true there would at least be more talk about it, which I haven't seen.

I don't really care about PC Gaming (and the "master race" people really don't make me want to) so the XBOX to me feels like a middle ground between Console and PC.

As with anything, but especially with things like games, you should base your opinion about something on the thing itself, not on its worst fans. It's also kind of weird to say that you don't care about PC gaming, and then imply that you like the Xbox because it's like a PC.

Last edited:

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Well you can collect for XBOX....PC not so much.

VonKarma12

YoRHa
Jun 4, 2019
discord.gg
This version? likely not, especially with how shitty the launch xbone is nowadays. but if that unlikely rumour is true that says it might have a pc mode, that definetly would get me interested

Make a donation