la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
There isn't a thread about this game already, so I created one. What do you think about this game? Personally, I've waited like 16 years for a new Shenmue game, so I'm pretty much going to buy it and play it no matter what. I haven't decided whether I'll get the PC or PS4 version, but I'm thinking of trying the PC version first. A lot of people are pissed off that they made it an Epic Games store exclusive on PC, but I don't really care about that.

I don't really know what to expect, but considering how long I've waited for this, I think I'm going to try it for myself no matter what critics have to say about it. It's one of very few upcoming games that I actually care about. Some sites have posted some early impressions of it, and it sounds like it's fairly similar to the first 2 games. If that's true, then I think I'll be pretty happy with it.

I'm planning on doing another playthrough of Shenmue II on DC before III comes out. I've played I and II many times, but I played I fairly recently - so I thought it would be good to play II again, plus I've never played it with my new VGA box before.

By the way, the official release date for this is now November 19. They've already delayed it before, so it's possible they could delay it again, but this is what they're saying anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24Nathan

Yakumo

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Yakumo
AG Join Date
From the beginning (whenever that was)
Let's just say I bought a PS4 on Monday for thus and a few others such as ninja warriors and wild guns.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Let's just say I bought a PS4 on Monday for thus and a few others such as ninja warriors and wild guns.

Did you get a Pro or a Slim?

I might get the PS4 version of Shenmue III. I'd prefer to get the PC version because I could play it at 1440p, but I'm not totally sure how well it would run on my PC. My system can run most newer games pretty well - for example, it can run Forza Horizon 4 perfectly at 1440p on max settings. Some games it has a little difficulty with, though; I think this mainly has to do with how well-optimized a game is. I would think Shenmue III will probably be pretty well optimized for PC, but we'll see. My plan is to try the PC version, and if it doesn't run well then I'll get the PS4 version instead.

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
if plan play the story PC/PS4 is ok, if plan collection Shenmue III, you should wait......
because SEGA only sell Shenmue III TM to 鈴木裕 develop , the TM have time line, after that Sega will take back own

PS: I got message from friend , another Shenmue is working on it.... ;)

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
if plan play the story PC/PS4 is ok, if plan collection Shenmue III, you should wait......
because SEGA only sell Shenmue III TM to 鈴木裕 develop , the TM have time line, after that Sega will take back own

PS: I got message from friend , another Shenmue is working on it.... ;)

I have no idea what you mean by this.

PopetherevXXVIII

Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
After Yakuza I can't go back to Shenmue. Even if Judgement wasn't as good as others there's still something that series has that Shenmue didn't. Likeable characters.

I find it hard to connect with Ryo, but Kiryu, Majima, Akiyama, Saejima, and countless side characters have this charm and personality Shenmue,'s cast seems to lack.

I respect what Shenmue did, and graphically it's aged very well. But I can't go back.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
I'll buy it when it comes to Xbox. Seeing as Shenmue II got a release for the original Xbox it's the next best thing to playing Shenmue III on a Sega console. I'll definitely play at one time though.

Yakumo

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Yakumo
AG Join Date
From the beginning (whenever that was)
Did you get a Pro or a Slim?

I might get the PS4 version of Shenmue III. I'd prefer to get the PC version because I could play it at 1440p, but I'm not totally sure how well it would run on my PC. My system can run most newer games pretty well - for example, it can run Forza Horizon 4 perfectly at 1440p on max settings. Some games it has a little difficulty with, though; I think this mainly has to do with how well-optimized a game is. I would think Shenmue III will probably be pretty well optimized for PC, but we'll see. My plan is to try the PC version, and if it doesn't run well then I'll get the PS4 version instead.
I bought the redesigned normal model. A PS4 Pro is pointless to me since the games I will play on the PS4 are mostly games that don't take advantage of the Pro. Plus I have an Xbox One X which is always better than the Pro when it comes to muiltiplatform games. It also does true 4K on many more titles.
Shenmue 3 will probably run at 1080p at 30fps on the base PS4 but I'm fine with that

PopetherevXXVIII

Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I'm in that One X/Base PS4 club myself.. I almost never use my PS4 now that I have the X.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
After Yakuza I can't go back to Shenmue. Even if Judgement wasn't as good as others there's still something that series has that Shenmue didn't. Likeable characters.

I find it hard to connect with Ryo, but Kiryu, Majima, Akiyama, Saejima, and countless side characters have this charm and personality Shenmue,'s cast seems to lack.

I respect what Shenmue did, and graphically it's aged very well. But I can't go back.

That seems pretty ridiculous, but whatever.

Reactions: 24Nathan

pato

Registered
Jan 20, 2019
I don't have much faith in this game, it definetely lacks polishing and some of those issues are known since three years ago or more, and gameplay feels dated (i've heard that Shenmue aged bad), for me its not a good sign.

Reactions: Tdijital

PopetherevXXVIII

Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007

Last edited:

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Official Deep Silver✔@deepsilver said:
There are no current plans for an Xbox version of Shenmue III.

It doesn't seem to be set in stone. I can wait either way. To be clear, this isn't Unchartered or The Last of Us and they won't be selling like gangbusters, I'll give it a year or so before it finds it way to Xbox. After a year, and it's still exclusive to PS4 and PC, I'll get it on Steam. I'm not too big of a fan to either get PS4 or Epic.

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
I'm excited for this game. Even if it plays exactly like the first 2 I'd be happy with it.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
I'm cautiously enthusiastic. I'm afraid it will not be able to live up to the hype, but I had to make an account on Kickstarter to back it up because we'd been waiting for that for so long.

The character animations/models so far seem sketchy, I'd have preferred that they simply upscale the original model/textures. Thankfully they seem to have fixed the uncanny eyes/face/whatever in the latest videos. If not, hopefully modding on PC could fix that.

I think I've replayed through most of Shenmue I last year, I'm not sure if I finished though because the last few years are a blur, and I'll have to finish Shenmue II before the 3rd though, so I'm in no hurry personally.

I chose the PS4 version even though I don't actually own one just to have a physical copy with the actual game on it. If I don't own a PS4 when I'm ready to play it, I'll either buy one or get the game on PC.

Make a donation