Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Should you collect for the 3DO M2?

MassiveCrab007

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Really cool piece of history. Not sure how much third party support that the M2 console would have gotten, or if it would even have been able to be released on time to actually properly compete with the PS1, Saturn, and N64, but I'm fascinated by the graphics and gameplay... it's like the lost 32-bit console I never knew I wanted! Evil Night looks really cool.

Awbacon

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Really cool piece of history. Not sure how much third party support that the M2 console would have gotten, or if it would even have been able to be released on time to actually properly compete with the PS1, Saturn, and N64, but I'm fascinated by the graphics and gameplay... it's like the lost 32-bit console I never knew I wanted! Evil Night looks really cool.
Had it come out when originally intended it would have had a nice head start on the Dreamcast and been competitive I believe. It had a lot of third party support contracted including Capcom and Konami.

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
retro-net.de
I think Pansonic knew in late 1997 that the M2 had no chance against the upcoming Dreamcast - neither in terms of hardware nor software. The M2 was a 1994 design after all. In 1995/6 it would have done well against the PS1 and Saturn, but 1997 was too late. Also, while many big names were said to develop for it, there was no launch game from any of these coming. They simply had no "killer app" in the pipeline even in 1997. While sad, it was the right decision to axe it, since the time frame for launching it with success was over.

amsarcade

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I think that’s correct. As the black m2 console dates from late 1997/1998 and the power it had was nowhere close to the power of the upcoming Dreamcast . Even tho it’s was a beefy console the m2 . it’s was between the ps1 and the ps2 so would have lost anyway . I own most of the consoles and dev kits . So I know the 1997 katana dev kit beats the shit out of the m2 dev kit. So better to get the konami m2 and play some polystars that’s a cool game but that’s about it

Last edited:

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
retro-net.de
I would rather go for an FZ-35S and play IMSA Racing on it. That's technically a better game than Polystars.

Not that I care, I have both anyway. ;)

amsarcade

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
I would rather go for an FZ-35S and play IMSA Racing on it. That's technically a better game than Polystars.

Not that I care, I have both anyway. ;)
Na polystars is verry much fun. Technical aspect yes I looks like a upgraded ps1 game but still
And I can play the racing game on my M2 console still a shit game with lousy controls :)

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
retro-net.de
IMSA needs to be played using analog controls. It's not a shit game, unless you don't like racing games at all.

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6