Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

SNES SNES OBJ L OVER FAIL using test cartridge.

Ergot

Original poster
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Ergot_Cholera
AG Join Date
Aug 2, 2012
This is the first time I have got anything other than all PASS or just a black screen. The SNES works but has graphical glitches. Can somebody whittle it down to a specific part/trace from the OBJ L OVER FAIL!
Thank you.

Ergot

Original poster
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Ergot_Cholera
AG Join Date
Aug 2, 2012
I have read through this page before and it has a lot of useful info, but there is nothing about the OBJ L OVER Fail.

I'm thinking it could be the PPU2 chip. I have some spares so I can replace it, but I wanted to narrow it down so I don't have to remove and replace too many chips.

Ergot

Original poster
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Ergot_Cholera
AG Join Date
Aug 2, 2012
I wish I had this information before I started removing chips. I replaced PPU2 first, which obviously did not fix it, but at least I know that the original PPU2 chip is working and could be used as a replacement in future.
Replacing PPU1 did fix the problem.

I wonder why the PPU1 chip didn't undergo any revisions like the CPU and PPU2 chips? Even the S-WRAM has a revision B. The DogP page that was linked mentions several PPU1 failures.

Ice Man

Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
Ice Man
AG Join Date
Dec 4, 2017
Glad it is fixed now. As to why there's no other revisions. No idea, but my guess is they wanted to save costs before producing the 1-CHIP SNES perhaps? I still prefer the original 3-CHIP version (PPU1, PPU2, CPU) to be honest as it has better compatibility compared to 1-CHIP and is more stable. The only downside is the video quality.

Make a donation