Somebody found a way to create new Xbox Live Accounts to play PSO

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
A user going by the name feudalnate_ on Reddit figured this out, this doesn't mean we can play games online with a revived Xbox Live, but maybe this is of some use for somebody?

From the original post.

2-3 months ago I saw a post here, someone asking how they could play Phantasy Star Online without a Xbox LIVE account. Someone else (I think it was /u/KaosEngineeer) responded with a link to accomplish getting an account with a hacky way of going about it. I've been a modder in the Xbox/Xbox 360 scene for sometime so the hacky method had my interest and I bookmarked the linked site. Then last week I was sifting through my bookmarks and saw that link again and again, it sparked my interest.. so I decided to figure out how Xbox LIVE account data was stored, signed, and verified by the Xbox. A few days of researching and reversing the XOnline/Kernel API's and I figured out what I needed. Another few days of programming and I had a working tool to create, edit, sign, verify, read, and write Xbox LIVE account data.

https://i.redd.it/qlx6obe8s6i31.png

With all that said, it really has no use with the exception of a few niche scenarios (such as PSO). It was more so "no one has figured it out yet, I might as well do it". So if anyone has an interest in getting an Xbox LIVE account on their Xbox or if you simply want to know how it was done you can view my GitHub project - I have a full write up on the account data, how it was stored, full source code, and a tool for reading/writing accounts to a Xbox memory card or harddrive

https://github.com/feudalnate/Original-Xbox-LIVE-Account

I've always loved the original Xbox, its modding scene is what drove my interest to learn programming.. nearly 16 years ago. Thanks for reading

Source:

Pinta77

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
That's pretty incredible. And that's great news for game preservation.

So you couldn't play private servers on xbox previously?

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
I still don't think you can. I think it sounds like there was no way to play singleplayer even before this was figured out, so at least the game can be played again.

Pinta77

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
I still don't think you can. I think it sounds like there was no way to play singleplayer even before this was figured out, so at least the game can be played again.
Really? The single player is totally offline, at least as far as I know. It works on gamecube offline.

Last edited:

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Interesting find, but for replicating XBL seems premature.

Pinta77

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
So forgive me for being completely clueless. Ive never had an xbox. Is this the same xbox live service from xbox all the way to xbox one? Like how PSN is the same service from PSP to ps4? They're replicating that for original xbox?

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Mostly the same, up to a point. They ran in parallel for quite some time, but eventually* MS booted the original 'box "to finally be able to increase the friend roster size". What else happened on the backend after that point, only they know.

* at some point during the lifetime of the 360, before the XBONE existed

Reactions: DeChief and Pinta77

GhostSeed

Jun 4, 2019
AGName
GhostSeed
AG Join Date
Apr 13, 2007
If anyone ever needs a old Xbox Live account I literally have a bag of Xbox memory cards with old XBLA accounts on them. If I'm remembering right you can make as many copies of the account as you want but you can only store one account per memory card.

• Wow
Reactions: v3ck1n and XBOX

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
Really? The single player is totally offline, at least as far as I know. It works on gamecube offline.
Yes however creating a character isn’t possible unless a gamertag is present on a memory card or the hard drive. This was done to combat the cheating and hacking that plagued earlier versions of the game.
Edit: Also a workaround has always existed: find a used memory card or Xbox that still has a gamertag and use that. This is only useful for this game and possibly the second Steel Battalion game and shouldn’t be misconstrued as a major step towards reviving original Xbox live as the problem there is server emulation

Last edited:

Pinta77

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Yes however creating a character isn’t possible unless a gamertag is present on a memory card or the hard drive. This was done to combat the cheating and hacking that plagued earlier versions of the game.
Edit: Also a workaround has always existed: find a used memory card or Xbox that still has a gamertag and use that. This is only useful for this game and possibly the second Steel Battalion game and shouldn’t be misconstrued as a major step towards reviving original Xbox live as the problem there is server emulation
I know that on the gamecube private servers it's super easy to cheat. And I heard that cheating was a problem in PSOs prime as well. Wow, interesting

fate6

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
fate6
AG Join Date
May 15, 2013

There is a patcher for the xbe that lets you play the SP without any XBL account at all, Its how I have been playing it for years.

Americandad

Registered
Jun 28, 2019
AGName
Americandad
AG Join Date
July 4, 2011
Sorry to be a partypooper but PSO Xbox has been cracked for offline singleplayer for a couple of years now. However this could still be interesting for other uses.

feudalnate

Aug 30, 2019
I had no intention to get PSO working or figuring out a step in getting XBL running on an unofficial server; I did this because it hadn't been done yet. My goals were to figure out where account data was stored, identify the structure of the account data and produce a valid signature for the account data. Any benefit from me doing this is coincidental, it was a project to satisfy my curiosity and nothing more

fate6

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
fate6
AG Join Date
May 15, 2013
I had no intention to get PSO working or figuring out a step in getting XBL running on an unofficial server; I did this because it hadn't been done yet. My goals were to figure out where account data was stored, identify the structure of the account data and produce a valid signature for the account data. Any benefit from me doing this is coincidental, it was a project to satisfy my curiosity and nothing more

Question! if i save the account to file can that file be sent over FTP or is a MU/HDD mandatory? I cant find my memory card :(

feudalnate

Aug 30, 2019
Account data isn't stored in the file structure like gamesaves or content so it can't be FTP'd to the HDD or copied over using something like Xplorer360. You either need to manually paste the data into the FATX header or use the tool I released - saving to file was something I added in case someone wanted to export/import backups of accounts

Make a donation