PS1 Sony PlayStation 1 Development Hardware

I have a PlayStation DTL-H1001H the grey version of the Programmers Tool. I can not confirm that is the correct unit. But, as far as I can ascertain from googling the info, is the PS1 I have is a DTL-H1001H. Also turns out they were used during Game Show demonstrations and had a very low production run vs the other color variants. Does anyone know what the going rate for this system? At the moment I am unable to take photos of the unit, but I will when I can! I was able to get my hands on this back when the PS1 was still going strong and at the time I was modding PS1’s and selling burned copies of games. My one friend said he has a coworkers PS1 he wants modded. When I finished and passed my testing, I would keep a record of the persons name and unit serial number. The serial number was very different to all the other PS1’s I’ve modded beforehand. When I took down the serial number, I wasn’t able to see the entire sticker, as a giant piece of Velcro was stuck to the bottom, covering most of the sticker. But when I got curious about the very strange and different serial number, I removed the Velcro, to be confused about seeing Programmers Tool. I didn’t know this meant, but after some time I thought if I remove the mod chip this thing is still going to play burned games. Turns out, what everyone in this forum knows, it still played the burned CD’s. This part of the story, is where I’m not proud of or am I bragging, so don’t judge me! I grabbed my PS1 and slapped that piece of Velcro on it and gave it to my friend to give back to his coworker. Several months later I asked my friend to see how everything is working out for his coworker. When I saw him the next day he told me he was happy and the PS1 works “great!” He must have received it as a gift, because he obviously didn’t know what he had to begin with! So I gave him my consumer store bought PS1 that was modded and in great working order and kept the Progammer PlayStation for myself. Fast forward 23 years later, with these units still having an interest in an era of PS4 Pro’s and XBox One X’s is crazy in my mind. But, what’s more crazy, the fact that 23 years has slipped by and no idea where it went, damn!

Last edited:
@Helliant1, I probably would have done the same thing in your situation. I suspect the majority of those grey DTL-H1001H units are mixed with the general population of aging SPCH-1001 and most people don't know what they actually have, so I consider yours recsued from oblivion.

What I have is probably less exciting, but definitely an interesting story about how I came to have a DTL-H1001 with the insides of a SPCH-1001 and how it saved my video game collection.

(names and specific dates are vague to protect identities, you never know what can come back to bite you a quarter century later)

Back in the 1990s I had a friend who was quite high up on the ladder at SCEA. I was meeting up with at him at E3 that year and he told me he had a 'gift' for me and to bring my retail Playstation unit to the conference. When I met up with him at the Sony booth he pulled me aside and gave me an empty blue DTL-H1001 shell complete with memory card unit and a screwdriver. So I transfered the innards of my retail unit into the developer shell and later mailed the empty shell back to myself with a host of other assorted E3 swag. Note: this shell had the serial number razored out. I assumed these shells came from DTL units returned for repair or whose innards were considered unfixable so they were going to be tossed.

Fast forward about 15 years later and I had just moved into a condo that had a storage locker (basically a 5x8 room with a locked door). As I was moving in I had temporarily put the majority of my video game collection, which included rare material and development hardware in the storage space. About a month or two later I went to move the collection into my condo and lo and behold someone had broken into the locker and removed most of the contents! Fortunately the thief was dumb enough to try and hock the collection locally and the majority of it ended up at a local game store owned by a good friend of mine -- and my friend didn't realize where it came from until I asked him about the one distinctive, perhaps unique piece that would definitively prove the items came from my collection:

That blue 'fake' DTL-H1001!

So not only was I lucky enough to get most of my collection back, but I was able to make life quite miserable for my thief who was positively identified on camera hocking my collection at the game store.

On another note, speaking of interesting Playstation 1 variants, has anyone ever spotted one of the 100 midnight blue SPCH-3001 units from the 'Ten Million' contest? I have one of the 1000 midnight blue SPCH-1200 Analog controllers (it's technically a Dual Shock) that was also given out in the contest (and yes, it was one of the items stolen and recovered) but I've never seen hide or hare of the consoles.