• Good day, Guest!
    Flowers in Chania

OG is raising money to form a non profit community interest company enabling us to preserve more history than ever before!

Unfortunately, like most things in life this is going to cost money and we're asking for some help from the community. All users will be given donator status, along with early updates and depending on how much you help us with we'll try to chuck in some free merch!

This will cost us roughly $850 for two years including business address/phone number etc which is needed to register a business bank account within the UK.

You can help us by making a custom pledge, or by making a general pledge as it all helps us greatly. We're happy for a one time donators via Ko-Fi, Patreon asks monthly so please be aware. To prevent charge backs we're unable to accept Paypal at this time. Although once live this will be sorted too!

One time donations can be sent via our Ko-Fi,

Or for monthly please visit our Patreon, Ko-Fi is preferred as they charge us less fee's. Become a Patron of Obscure Gamers!
  • The Obscure Gamers 2020 Light and Dark themes are now live! Please report any bugs and make any suggestions you may have to a member of staff.

GB Speaker volume is rather quiet

clueless

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
snobgamergr
AG Join Date
29 August 2015
I took my backlight-bivert modded gameboy out of storage to play some link's awakening.
I discovered that the speaker volume is really quiet, turning up the volume doesn't change much. Soldered another speaker but it remained quiet.
Some tests later, I discovered that it is an issue with that specific screen board. If I plug the screen board of my childhood gameboy (unmodded) to the biverted board, sound is loud and clear, while the backlight board on the childhood gameboy remains quiet.
What should I check next? Capacitors? Flexcable?

clueless

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
snobgamergr
AG Join Date
29 August 2015
I had some free time and decided to have a second glimpse at the issue.
I discovered that the culprit were the capacitors c1,c2 and c3. I swapped the corresponding caps from a broken unit I had lying around. The sound now is loud and clear as it should be :)

speedyink

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, super late to the party but yup, caps. Sorry, not exactly helpful, lol

Vorde

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Vorde
I had some free time and decided to have a second glimpse at the issue.
I discovered that the culprit were the capacitors c1,c2 and c3. I swapped the corresponding caps from a broken unit I had lying around. The sound now is loud and clear as it should be :)
Are sound issues usually caused by bad capacitors if continuity is not an issue?

clueless

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
snobgamergr
AG Join Date
29 August 2015
Are sound issues usually caused by bad capacitors if continuity is not an issue?
Not sure, never had to deal with this issue before. Some people suggest that you check the ribbon cable for any possible breaks/bents . It is reported that this can resolve some sound issues along with other issues (screen related most of the times), that can't be fixed otherwise. In my case though, the ribbon cable was perfect, since that gameboy hasn't been disassembled before.

I'm curious also, since I backlight modded my console, if doing a full recap might be meaningful in helping improve something in the operation of this specific gameboy. So far, everything seems to be running smoothly.

speedyink

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
Usually weak sound or weak display output it related to faulty caps

cta

AG Refugee
Refugee
Reaction score
Only semi related, but I ran into a similar issue while doing some modding on a GBA. Wasn't the caps this time, but the backlit screen I put in drawing more power, making the volume suffer greatly. Had to add an amp inbetween the logic board and speaker. So yeh, when doing mods that go far beyond the factory use case all bets are off.

speedyink

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
Only semi related, but I ran into a similar issue while doing some modding on a GBA. Wasn't the caps this time, but the backlit screen I put in drawing more power, making the volume suffer greatly. Had to add an amp inbetween the logic board and speaker. So yeh, when doing mods that go far beyond the factory use case all bets are off.
Good to know (y)