Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Still no Cave games on XBOX One/Series BC....So Xenia and CXBX?

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
OOH seems the site underwent a nice little remodel.

So the last Backwards compatibility update on XBOX added some much needed games, Otogi 1 and 2, Ridge Racer 6 (YES!!!!) All the DOA games. Binary Domain (ANOTHER YES) among others. But there are some glaring omissions that leave me with some very expensive coasters. I have around 15 or so games that aren't Backwards compatible yet of those these are the games I'd like to be able to play again.

On 360

Akai Katana
EspGaluda 2
Deathsmiles
Deathsmiles II (I know they're getting switch re releases though)
Mishihimesama Futari
Virtual on Force
and my $300 Coaster Muchi Muchi Pork Pink Sweets.

I have Dodonpachi Ressurection but I also have the Fantastic Steam version I bought on Sale.

Then Over on XBOX

Outrun 2 (I have 2Sp/2006 on PC but I think this has a few challenges not in that version)
Jet Set Radio Future (which was never going to be made BC)
Kakuto Chojin (Also was never going to make BC

Then there were a bunch of games I wanted to pick up that aren't BC like Spikeout, Toe Jam and Earl 3, Tao Feng, Crazy Taxi 3 and so on.

I could just buy another 360, and another OG XBOX but I don't have room and once Series X consoles are more available I'm making the leap.

So how easy to install and use Xenia and CXBX? How's compatibility? What about Xenia and Digital content? Pretty easy install on RPCS3 but not sure with Xenia.
Should I just MAKE room for a recapped OG XBOX and a late model 360 instead?

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
It’s worth it for me personally to have an OG Xbox and a 360 in my setup. I don’t have an Xbox One or a Series X currently (though I’m considering getting the latter, if I can ever find one) but even if I did, I’d still want to have those systems set up because there’s still a decent number of good games on those systems that aren’t compatible with the newer systems.

I haven’t used Xenia or CXBX personally, but I’ve heard they’re pretty good, and I’d guess setting them up isn’t too complicated. Still, emulation isn’t perfect, especially with something as complicated as those systems, so I think there’s still an advantage to playing games on the original hardware. I’ve actually been playing both of those systems a fair amount lately, and really enjoyed it. I also got the HD-DVD player for my 360 recently, and I think it’s pretty cool. It’s in near-perfect condition, and it even came with the original box.

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
Personally I would make room for more consoles, even if you don't have them all setup at once (which is what I do due to lack of space, I have a lot of platforms).

I suggest you get an RGH 360 slim that way you won't have to worry about region locked games. Also more (unofficial) BC.

I also only got the 360 HD-DVD player in the last year or so, I actually have 2 of them now. The first was a working bare drive for free, and then more recently I got a boxed unit just missing the remote and King Kong movie. I already had King Kong in my small collection of HD-DVD releases and also already had multiple remotes.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
There's a spot right next to where I keep my Super Famicom/AVS that I can put an OG XBOX and some kind of 360. My original 360 has a disc door that won't open and it's probably an easy fix, but also one I don't feel like doing.

There's also finding a recapped XBOX on ebay. I'm only getting another XBOX if all the parts that go bad have already been replaced, it's kind of a priority since XBOX collecting is dirt ass cheap and there's a ton of games I either missed out on or used to own that I want to have again.

I've given thought to some modded 360. I bought japanese copies of some of the BC titles just becuase I though it'd be cool to have Japanese copies. (Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden II and Rumble Roses XX)

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I also only got the 360 HD-DVD player in the last year or so, I actually have 2 of them now. The first was a working bare drive for free, and then more recently I got a boxed unit just missing the remote and King Kong movie. I already had King Kong in my small collection of HD-DVD releases and also already had multiple remotes.

The previous one I got had an issue, the tray wouldn’t close properly. So I sent it back and got my current one, which works perfectly. Mine also didn’t come with King Kong or the remote, and I also already had those. The remote I have is actually the smaller one, not the big one that came with the player, but I actually prefer it. I’ve been playing HD-DVDs (just for testing so far) on my Sony 4K OLED and I’m kind of amazed at how good they look. I think it’s cool to be able to get such good quality out of something most people abandoned long ago.

There's also finding a recapped XBOX on ebay. I'm only getting another XBOX if all the parts that go bad have already been replaced, it's kind of a priority since XBOX collecting is dirt ass cheap and there's a ton of games I either missed out on or used to own that I want to have again.

I have the same Xbox I got new in 2002, and I’ve never had it repaired, and I’ve never had any problems with it.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
PSU on my original XBOX died. Recycled it. I probably should have sought out a repair.
My 360 is a 2006 Xenon RROD 3 times, only for the disc drive to stop opening out of nowhere.

3rd time is the charm with my XBOX one X. I feel like it'll last forever if I don't replace it with a Series X.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
PSU on my original XBOX died. Recycled it. I probably should have sought out a repair.
My 360 is a 2006 Xenon RROD 3 times, only for the disc drive to stop opening out of nowhere.

I also had a 2006 Xenon which had the RROD twice in the span of about 4 years until I gave up on it (although I still have it) and replaced it with a Jasper Arcade system. That one is still going strong about 11 years later. Eventually I added a 250GB HDD to it, and more recently a wireless N adapter (mainly as a convenient way to download updates). I really like that system.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
No luck getting CXBX up and running. Compatibility was low anyway.

Make a donation