Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Good thing Virtua Racing is so common and cheap, seeing as it's the only game that won't work.

I personally won't even look at that game, it's so bad on Genesis. The 32X version is the way to go, or of course Saturn.

Still, they account for the Mega Sg. So, why not including the GG in that table? Also, they don't speak about SG-1000, but people are going to try to these since most people assume it as pure SMS. I rest my case.

The SG is a device, not a game platform, that's designed to run Genesis games. GG roms are not designed to run on either SMS or MD/GEN, due to hardware limitations. The roms have to be converted into SMS palette/controls in order to run, and yes, I'm sure those will run on the Mega SD. SG-1000 will not run, as the Genesis is lacking the hardware. Anyone who legit does not know that GG or SG-1000 will not run on a Genesis flash cart by now should seriously stay away from the Mega SD. It's common knowledge. In any case, Terra Onion are not going to advertise their product will work with roms which are modded. It's a slippery slope, as you cannot state you support GG games when in fact it's GG to SMS modded roms. It's best to leave it unsaid.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
5oxlrk.jpg

Still, they account for the Mega Sg. So, why not including the GG in that table? Also, they don't speak about SG-1000, but people are going to try to these since most people assume it as pure SMS. I rest my case.

They include the SG as a platform to play the Mega SD on, not as a platform that has games that this device support.

Braintrash

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
Braintrash
AG Join Date
Nov 5, 2011
You both are just playing with words, which is not a valid argument. Guess that settles things, then.

MonkeyBoyJoey

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
MonkeyBoyJoey
AG Join Date
March 1, 2015
You both are just playing with words, which is not a valid argument. Guess that settles things, then.

I am not playing with words, I am stating technological fact.

The Mega SG is a FPGA implementation of the Sega Genesis, SG-1000, Sega Master System, and Game Gear. The Genesis console is not. The Genesis can only play Genesis games and most Master System games. It cannot play GG games.

Sure, they could load GG games on the Mega SG if they wanted to. This would mean that the ROMs would be loadable on a real Genesis as well, potentially damaging it. Console detection is not an option and they can't allow loading of GG ROMs solely for this reason.

You are clearly trolling at this point.

Last edited:

Braintrash

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
Braintrash
AG Join Date
Nov 5, 2011
I am not playing with words, I am stating technological fact.

The Mega SG is a FPGA implementation of the Sega Genesis, SG-1000, Sega Master System, and Game Gear. The Genesis console is not. The Genesis can only play Genesis games and most Master System games. It cannot play GG games.

This is irrelevant, because:
1. There are mutltiple models of Genesis, whith each having its own hardware design, issues and limitations. Not all models can do all the same things.
2. You point that the Mega Sg is a FPGA implementation, which is a way of saying it is acting as a clone.

Given that, even if I put out the clone word (that you did not write), we can see that each model of the Megadrive is a device trying to integrate flawlessly into the game platform know as Mega Drive (Genesis being itself a device trying to mimick the original Japanese one, named with two separate words ; I actually had one and tested almost all models released after).

We could explain it the Plato way (with Ideas and mimesis), but let's keep it video games: the 3DO was a platform and each model released with the 3DO label was a device trying to conform to the 3D0 platform specs. Same can be said with all console revisions.

Which is why, not only you play with words, but to add insult to injury, you play with words you don't fully understand.

Sure, they could load GG games on the Mega SG if they wanted to. This would mean that the ROMs would be loadable on a real Genesis as well, potentially damaging it. Console detection is not an option and they can't allow loading of GG ROMs solely for this reason.

I am curious how it could damage it. It would most likely just software crash, which doesn't cause damages.
Sure, you can damage hardware through software, but that's not really relevant in the Mega Drive case; as long as Terraonion used good voltages on their hardware, you can software crash it at will (which is BTW what most devs do at a point or another).
And if console detection is not an option (although, it may be possible, using test to isolate specific bugs in specifics versions), menu option could be. The device is aimed to hobbyists, so that's perfectly acceptable to have a menu settings allowing the user to say he has a Mega Sg and thus, unlock some features, especially since Terraonion advertises Mega Sg compatibility (ie. they have one and tested their cart on it). Quick, easy, no harm done.

You are clearly trolling at this point.

You trolling hard, bruh~

Accusation of trolling is the new Godwin point, which itself is just a way of admitting you have no arguments, especially when you don't even master the words you use. I am not a moderator here, but this is an actual concern for the good life of this forum.

Tongara

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
Accusation of trolling is the new Godwin point, which itself is just a way of admitting you have no arguments, especially when you don't even master the words you use. I am not a moderator here, but this is an actual concern for the good life of this forum.
Hahaha

Greg2600

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
I truly do not see the point of complaining about Game Gear support? The Genesis NEVER supported it. End of story. How any rom would damage a console is completely baffling? Never heard that one before. Also, to call Mega SD or any FPGA implementation a "clone" is pretty bad. These are hardware implementations or cores. A clone is a Retron or something like that, which attempts to function like the original. FPGA core is literally the original hardware written virtually. You cannot be any more exact without using the original hardware.

Reactions: muramasa

Tongara

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
I truly do not see the point of complaining about Game Gear support? The Genesis NEVER supported it. End of story. How any rom would damage a console is completely baffling? Never heard that one before. Also, to call Mega SD or any FPGA implementation a "clone" is pretty bad. These are hardware implementations or cores. A clone is a Retron or something like that, which attempts to function like the original. FPGA core is literally the original hardware written virtually. You cannot be any more exact without using the original hardware.
He's been given the answer over and over, and it just doing a crap job of trolling at this point, and should be ignored.

Braintrash

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
Braintrash
AG Join Date
Nov 5, 2011
I truly do not see the point of complaining about Game Gear support? The Genesis NEVER supported it. End of story.

The Mega Sg supports it. The Mega Sg is supported by the Mega SD. The Mega SD chart lists the Mega SD. What don't you understand?

How any rom would damage a console is completely baffling? Never heard that one before.

Not surprising.

Also, to call Mega SD or any FPGA implementation a "clone" is pretty bad. These are hardware implementations or cores. A clone is a Retron or something like that, which attempts to function like the original. FPGA core is literally the original hardware written virtually. You cannot be any more exact without using the original hardware.

Which is the exact definition of clone. And the Retron is an emulation box.
You seem quite confused on the subject.

So, for once and all: while I understand there is no GG support on the original Mega Drive consoles, I don't understand why this support is not available for the Mega Sg since the Mega Sg is a supported product of the Mega SD. If you can't understand that simple matter, just ignore me while telling to yourself that I am a troll and let the adults talk. That is common courtesy.

Last edited:

Gentlegamer

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
I didn't see it mentioned, MegaSD has support to add "CD music" to ROM games like the SD2SNES "MSU-1 chip" emulation.

MonkeyBoyJoey

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
MonkeyBoyJoey
AG Join Date
March 1, 2015
I didn't see it mentioned, MegaSD has support to add "CD music" to ROM games like the SD2SNES "MSU-1 chip" emulation.
I think there's only one game that did it and that was Pier Solar which had an optional CD soundtrack if you had a Sega CD connected. To see more of this would be amazing! Imagine the arcade ports like Out Run and Space Harrier with arcade music!

Chaotic Mind

AG Refugee Retro Brony
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
sonicdude10
AG Join Date
Jan 17, 2012
Here. MVG is a highly trusted guy in the console world so I take his words as fact. LOL
His review is quite good of the Mega SD.

Reactions: Tongara

Braintrash

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
Braintrash
AG Join Date
Nov 5, 2011
I think there's only one game that did it and that was Pier Solar which had an optional CD soundtrack if you had a Sega CD connected. To see more of this would be amazing! Imagine the arcade ports like Out Run and Space Harrier with arcade music!

With the MSU-1, there are many classic which have been hacked to add better soundtracks, so I pretty well see that happening on Mega Drive too, which is clearly a great thing.

Tongara

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
Here. MVG is a highly trusted guy in the console world so I take his words as fact. LOL
His review is quite good of the Mega SD.

His content is really great, and this is no exception~

MonkeyBoyJoey

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
MonkeyBoyJoey
AG Join Date
March 1, 2015
So, for once and all: while I understand there is no GG support on the original Mega Drive consoles, I don't understand why this support is not available for the Mega Sg since the Mega Sg is a supported product of the Mega SD. If you can't understand that simple matter, just ignore me while telling to yourself that I am a troll and let the adults talk. That is common courtesy.

I finally see what you are trying to say since it is clear now. It seems like you weren't trolling, you were just having a hard time explaining the whole GG support thing. The way you were saying it before seemed like you wanted GG ROMs to work on all consoles, questioning why it wouldn't work, and questioning the legitimacy of the facts provided to you by others.

They probably don't allow GG loading on the Mega SG in order to avoid returns and other nonsense involved with people trying it on actual Genesis systems. That would be my guess. While it probably won't cause any damage to the console, loading things onto stuff it wasn't made for isn't a good idea in general. It can produce some funny things sometimes.

Make a donation