Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

The Apple Bandai Pippin - L Zone - 3/25

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

recently acquired an EV-2 prototype Pippin with a matching prototype controller and 4MB developer RAM expansion card. Has a dev bios to run unsigned code as well. The things that happen when you go on eBay after too many beers

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Damn this is really cool! So basically since it can run unsigned code, you can run all Mac apps made for that same version of the OS just like on the computers right?

I have a 1995 Powerbook 5300CE that still works and runs fine, and was wanting to either rebuild it into a new wooden case like a little retro desktop AIO unit, or try and restore it. Those damn plastics are notoriously brittle and it is already cracking on the screen bezel on the back. The battery is long dead but I always wanted to use like a Pippen hehe. Just a cool little machine when you realize it's limitations, plus I have the best version of the laptop.

DocStatic97

Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
mspeter97
AG Join Date
February 28 2013
It's a bit more complex than that. In theory this could act like a "normal" mac but I suppose the ROM is different enough to not have 100% compatibility with the usual Macintosh Toolbox

ItsMeMario

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
ItsMeMario
AG Join Date
Feb 11, 2014
Love how fast you explain...perfect speed ! :)

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
It's a bit more complex than that. In theory this could act like a "normal" mac but I suppose the ROM is different enough to not have 100% compatibility with the usual Macintosh Toolbox

it’ll run unsigned code with the dev bios so most items that would have run on that specific version of OS 7 and within the ram specs of the pippin SHOULD run. I’ve yet to test but obv will before the series is over

Reactions: Anthony817

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Sick! Hope to hear from you if you can run regular apps from it. I really like your collection so far, pretty obscure stuff just like the name of the site haha. That M2 stuff you have is great to see too.

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Sick! Hope to hear from you if you can run regular apps from it. I really like your collection so far, pretty obscure stuff just like the name of the site haha. That M2 stuff you have is great to see too.

haha thanks. I tend to collect some real random stuff that’s for sure

Paperweight

Jun 30, 2020
AGName
Paperweight
Where did you get the EV-2 model number from?

Also curious to know how you determined this runs unsigned code (without some kind of encryption bypass). It has the same stickers as a sample unit, which normally do not run unsigned discs. Sample units are less common than the @Mark and more common than the @World, but they are functionally about the same.

Last edited:

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Where did you get the EV-2 model number from?

Also curious to know how you determined this runs unsigned code (without some kind of encryption bypass). It has the same stickers as a sample unit, which normally do not run unsigned discs. Sample units are less common than the @Mark and more common than the @World, but they are functionally about the same.

the BIOS in my unit is flash rom based and the dump matches the dev bios which allows for unsigned code

thedoctor45

Registered
Jun 3, 2019
Nice video, I've also been a Mac user/gamer throughout most of my life and as such, Bungies Marathon games have always had a disproportionately large influence on me, even up to this date.

As a matter of fact, I'm currently still involved in the development of several 3rd party total conversions linked to the original games. One of them aims to recreate the Halo experience using the Marathon engine and the other one is supposed to serve as a prequel to Marathon Rubicon, the unofficial continuation of the original trilogy - and also the best Marathon themed game out there imho.

However, even though I've accumulated a rather large collection of Classic Macintosh computers over the years, I've never owned a Pippin before. Your videos might make me reconsider that descision tho. ;)

Keep it up. (y)

Last edited:

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Nice video, I've also been a Mac user/gamer throughout most of my life and as such, Bungies Marathon games have always had a disproportionately large influence on me, even up to this date.

As a matter of fact, I'm currently still involved in the development of several 3rd party total conversions linked to the original games. One of them aims to recreate the Halo experience using the Marathon engine and the other one is supposed to serve as a prequel to Marathon Rubicon, the unofficial continuation of the original trilogy - and also the best Marathon themed game out there imho.

However, even though I've accumulated a rather large collection of Classic Macintosh computers over the years, I've never owned a Pippin before. Your videos might make me to reconsider that descision tho. ;)

Keep it up.

thanks. It’s a fun system to cover. Just hoping more people watch the videos lol. It’s a niche topic even for me

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

Jungle Park! Such a fun game and the precursor to Cubivore

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

It’s legit a pretty fun game

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

a random Pippin video appears!

defor

Jun 10, 2019
AGName
defor
AG Join Date
Feb 10, 2008
it’ll run unsigned code with the dev bios so most items that would have run on that specific version of OS 7 and within the ram specs of the pippin SHOULD run. I’ve yet to test but obv will before the series is over
Technically, the entire "protection" afforded by the bios controls what and how the Pippin can boot from. Even with a Retail ROM, there's a few routes to access "unsigned" applications.
Later model Retail models even support booting off some external media...
There's a few exploits out there that utilized more "utility" type application discs such as Pease Turbo to execute other software, access Finder, etc. from alternate media.
Also Pippin Kickstart will also allow more functionality along this route by acting as a "boot disc" of sorts:

Nov 30, 2019
AGName
sonoranreptile
AG Join Date
05/06/2010
What a great find!! Thanks for this video and all the others you have poste on the obscure!

Make a donation