Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

The ASSEMblerGames forums backup is back online for browsing!

z_killemall

Original poster
Nov 15, 2021
AGName
z_killemall
AG Join Date
January 2006
Hey everyone,

Before everything, THE LINK YOU'RE ALL LOOKING FOR: https://dogcxf037x385.cloudfront.net/ (Sorry I couldn't get a nicer domain for the moment but I just finishing dealing with Amazon Web Services)

So last week I found the thread about the AG backups and I thought it would be awesome if I just could browse through it even if it's not functional as a forum, as it's still an awesome and pretty valuable source of information.
After a while I started brainstorming while torrenting the backup and then I thought, as we're completely talking about static files I could use a static file storage service such as Amazon S3, which actually allows serving your storage bucket as a fully secure webpage if you put a bit of work on it. So I gave it a try and here we have it: The ASSEMbler forums fully hosted for less than a dollar a month!
So there it is guys, I thought you might enjoy it :)

Cheers!
-Matías

z_killemall

Original poster
Nov 15, 2021
AGName
z_killemall
AG Join Date
January 2006
Hey folks, a little update:

I just found out that the forum is throwing "Access Denied" errors when trying to enlarge a picture thumbnail. That doesn't mean the image is lost, I just need to tinker with some permissions so the forum has permissions to load images through Javascript. I'll get them working when I have some time.

Well, that's all I had, see you around!

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
Hey everyone,

Before everything, THE LINK YOU'RE ALL LOOKING FOR: https://dogcxf037x385.cloudfront.net/ (Sorry I couldn't get a nicer domain for the moment but I just finishing dealing with Amazon Web Services)

So last week I found the thread about the AG backups and I thought it would be awesome if I just could browse through it even if it's not functional as a forum, as it's still an awesome and pretty valuable source of information.
After a while I started brainstorming while torrenting the backup and then I thought, as we're completely talking about static files I could use a static file storage service such as Amazon S3, which actually allows serving your storage bucket as a fully secure webpage if you put a bit of work on it. So I gave it a try and here we have it: The ASSEMbler forums fully hosted for less than a dollar a month!
So there it is guys, I thought you might enjoy it :)

Cheers!
-Matías
Any way to download this backup, for preservation and eventual host in the future if your mirror is down?

Super good job by the way. Very useful!

Reactions: z_killemall

z_killemall

Original poster
Nov 15, 2021
AGName
z_killemall
AG Join Date
January 2006

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007

z_killemall

Original poster
Nov 15, 2021
AGName
z_killemall
AG Join Date
January 2006
Thanks!

And that's what you're hosting, as-is?
Basically yes. The crawled site was already browsable, so hosting it as a static website wasn't that much of a pain. And by avoiding the costs of a real server that also allows the processing of web applications and such, I reduced the hosting costs dramatically.

Reactions: FamilyGuy

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
I've yet to see an inline image that actually shows up, but at least attached ones are fine, and overall it's already working better than the previous attempt ever did. Huge thumbs up.

MSX

Is secretly 32-bit
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Donations
£543.68
AGName
MSX
AG Join Date
Dec 7, 2011
I need to find my old posts and take a trip down memory lane

z_killemall

Original poster
Nov 15, 2021
AGName
z_killemall
AG Join Date
January 2006
I've yet to see an inline image that actually shows up, but at least attached ones are fine, and overall it's already working better than the previous attempt ever did. Huge thumbs up.
Sorry, to be honest I've been through a hard couple of weeks at works and I took a total break, didn't even touch the computer during the weekend (I'm mentoring 6 programming class groups which have their project deadlines next week, so the last couple weeks have been a bit intense). I know it's a permissions issue and that if you grab the image links and open them in a new tab they work, yet I need to get in the AWS console and find out which rule do I have to fix in order to get CORS and all Javascript-related stuff running again.
On the bright side, I'll take a week off from work once I'm done with the classes after next week, so I'll have time for sure to take care of this issue and any other that you may find :)

Cheers!

Diablodin

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Donations
£70.00
Great! It's good to be able to go back if there's info you remember from the old forum!
If only the same could be done with NintendoAge heh... :)

TheXboxCollector

Registered
Apr 15, 2021
Incredible man...
What a throwback.
Back during those days, I went by the name, GMAN.
My how times have changed, and people have grown.

Reactions: gaming247

Make a donation