Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I do think VF3 is the deepest in the Series. 4 I barely remember

You'd think with the rise of esports Sega would craft VF6....

Glad you're enjoying the convo and feel at home. I love me some Sega

Allie

The Original VF3 Fangirl™
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
I'll never understand why Sega hasn't produced another numbered Virtua Fighter sequel in over a decade, because the core team behind the last two installments - Hiroshi Kataoka, Daichi Katagiri and Makoko Osaki - are still members of AM2. You're absolutely correct to suggest that the growth of e-sports and fighting tournaments in particular should have been enough to convince Sega it's a good idea, but the company is clearly happy to rest on its laurels rather than creating a more up-to-date offering in the very genre it once pioneered!

P.S. With its groundbreaking undulation system, VF3 really was the most progressive game of its kind. Sadly, it looks as if many of the changes it introduced were too much for the average player to get their head around, which may explain why its immediate follow-up always felt like so much of a backward step to me.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
The last Appearance of VF Characters was what DOA5 and Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax? Not going to complain about Bikini Sarah in DOA.....

I think some Pachinko machines were announced and that's it on any new VF Content. There's a new Arcade House of the Dead though, so maybe there's some hope.

I can't think of too many other companies with a wealth of IPs that would sell if revived that are just being left to Rot more than Sega. Capcom maybe, Namco seems to have their past well preserved So they don't have to release the same Megasis games over and over again. Nintendo is doing alright balancing new and old IPs.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I'll never understand why Sega hasn't produced another numbered Virtua Fighter sequel in over a decade, because the core team behind the last two installments - Hiroshi Kataoka, Daichi Katagiri and Makoko Osaki - are still members of AM2.

AM2 has developed a few arcade games in the past few years, but not any in their most-recognized series for quite a while.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Pai is my mortal Enemy.

SO MANY continues...her and Lion

And here is my totally unbiased Virtua Fighter Waifu tier list.

Attachments

• my-image.png
    my-image.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
What I'd want to know is, if it's true that Sega held back on arcade games for the DC because they didn't want it to look like a niche system for arcade ports, why didn't they convert more arcade games after becoming a third-party developer? I'd love to see home versions of Sega Race TV, Star Wars Racer Arcade, Jambo!, Daytona 2 and so on. Arguably, some titles may have been held back because of licensing issues, but many would not.

Allie

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
What I'd want to know is, if it's true that Sega held back on arcade games for the DC because they didn't want it to look like a niche system for arcade ports, why didn't they convert more arcade games after becoming a third-party developer? I'd love to see home versions of Sega Race TV, Star Wars Racer Arcade, Jambo!, Daytona 2 and so on. Arguably, some titles may have been held back because of licensing issues, but many would not.

Of the games you mentioned, Sega Race TV was designed with the arcade experience in mind, not to mention its wealth of licensed vehicles that Sega may only have been able to use for a short period or in a limited setting. For one, I noticed that as with so many racers of the same era, Sega didn't have access to the actual Porsche brand, instead being forced to feature the RUF RK Spyder. Also, my understanding is that every game in the Daytona USA series from Championship Circuit Edition on was only possible through Sega negotiating the rights with a growing number of companies, including Hasbro by the release of Daytona USA 2001 (along with Electronic Arts and Sierra, it seems as if Hasbro was exclusively responsible for any software containing elements based on NASCAR). Later, the remake of Daytona USA released for the RingWide board had to be retitled Sega Racing Classic and have any references stripped out due to Sega being unable to strike a deal with GLOBAL VR, which had full rights to all NASCAR interactive products at the time - a situation that was thankfully rectified ahead of its arrival on PSN and XBLA. Although it's a game very much built around its cabinet, Star Wars Racer Arcade (and the earlier Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, for that matter) could quite easily have found its way onto the Dreamcast, were it not for LucasArts having a deal with Sega that meant only its own software would ever be released on home consoles, which received the somewhat similar Star Wars: Episode I Racer. Finally, despite originally being announced as coming to Dreamcast in a compilation to have been called the Real Life Career Series along with Emergency Call Ambulance and Brave Firefighters, Jambo! Safari did eventually make it to the Wii and Nintendo DS a decade after making its NAOMI debut.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Thanks for a well-thought-out response. I still think they could've changed the cars and other IP's and release it for the home consoles.

Speaking of Star Wars, imagine if Sega got the rights to make SW games instead of EA. Hey, it couldn't have been worse than it is now.

Reactions: FamilyGuy

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
At the same time it does seem like Sega's entire console business revolved around "Bring the Arcade home" In the 1994 EGM Buyer's Guide they were even quoted as saying "Owning the Saturn will be like owning your own arcade" Even though quite a few arcade ports, weren't quite arcade perfect even when there's no excuse they couldn't be. V rally on the Dreamcast ran at 60 FPS but Sega's own Sega Rally 2 was 30 FPS because, Windows.

Allie

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
The Dreamcast version of Sega Rally 2 has quite the history, and it's a subject I've always been interested in...

My understanding is that Sega was under obligation to develop at least one of its first party Dreamcast launch titles using Windows CE in return for Microsoft providing the console's secondary operating system, with members of the same CS Team that had previously worked on Virtua Racing Deluxe, Saturn Sega Rally and Daytona USA (Championship) Circuit Edition tasked with converting Sega Rally 2. At first, this division had been intending to release its home treatment of SR2 for the Dreamcast and PC simultaneously, with the earliest build seen at the Tokyo Game Show '98 Autumn and on the Dreamcast Promotion Disk. Still being shown in non-playable form just weeks before its planned arrival, management at Sega listened to public concerns and decided to massively delay the end product, even making the decision to bring in staff from AM Annex, who chose to concentrate on finishing the Dreamcast edition first, even though it remained based on the PC code base rather than being a more direct Model 3 port.

From what I've read about the period after AM Annex came on board, staff had less than two months to recreate SR2 almost from scratch, and I seem to recall one of the programmers mentioning that he worked eighteen hours a day, sleeping under his office desk in order to ensure the game made its rescheduled late January '99 deadline. Although the end product is close enough and packed with additional content, including several new tracks that were supposedly leftovers from the arcade original (though not the forest stage most prominently seen in location test builds and subsequent print magazine previews), it was noted for suffering with an uncapped frame rate that was anything but consistent, frequently slowing down whenever you'd try navigating a turn. Thankfully, there are locked 30 and 60 fps - or 25 and 50 in the unoptimised PAL edition - modes that can be enabled on the title screen, the latter achieved by reducing trackside detail to bring this overall package even further away from its Model 3 Step 2.0 source.

Despite its many problems, I still really like SR2DC, even if I'd have preferred this to have become the first online-enabled game here in Europe as opposed to the relatively lightweight Chu Chu Rocket. I can't say much about its PC counterpart, because I've not had a system capable of running this in quite a while - for some reason, my current setup is plagued with compatibility issues, tough I remember it being virtually identical to its console equivalent, which is little surprise when you consider its roots. Beyond some minor remaining graphical inaccuracies and the internal refresh rate being a little higher than on real hardware, I'd suggest that the Supermodel emulator is now the best way to experience SR2, providing you have the necessary power to run it at full speed.

P.S. Since I'm apparently writing love letters to my favourite racers from the late '90s, I feel that Sega Touring Car is long overdue a reappraisal!

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I have Sega touring car championship en route from Japan.

Also Shotokou battle 97

Gale Racer because the music is Awesome.

Did Wipeout 2097 actually come out on Saturn I am finding a grand total of no eBay listings for it while the original for Saturn is plentiful. Only listing I found was for an iffy evaluation disc.

Unrelated to great racing games
I have credit at a place selling Elan Doree, tempting...but is it $80 good?

Last edited:

Allie

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
WipEout 2097 was indeed released for the Saturn, though only in PAL territories and Japan, where it appeared under the alternate title of WipEout XL. Apart from a few graphical differences that aren't really noticeable (with the exception of some ever-so-slightly lower resolution textures, all in-game transparencies being the dithered kind and a baked-in approach to lighting effects on your ship), it's virtually identical to its PlayStation counterpart, plus you can expect a more consistent soundtrack courtesy of Tim "CoLD SToRaGE" Wright, which I've always preferred over the licensed tracks on Sony's platform. I'm sure the handling was improved as well, but that may be a result of developer Tantalus using an upgraded revision of its in-house Duck engine that had previously powered the Saturn conversion of Manx TT. Despite still bearing the Psygnosis logo, this one was actually published across Europe by Sega itself - Adidas Power Soccer, Sentient, Formula 1, Destruction Derby 2 and Assault Rigs very nearly followed, with only the latter surfacing exclusively in Japan. Would I recommend it if you can find a copy? Absolutely! Since getting this back in September '97, it's been a highlight of my Saturn collection, and I'd easily call it one of the system's best racers, first party or otherwise...

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Found it...

YEESH....

But that's Saturn collecting right you never know what super expensive game is going to pop up. At least it's not Super Tempo/Try urush expensive.

I think where I got confused was I was looking for 2097 and thought that was it's name outside North America, I didn't think to search Wipeout XL which I only thought was it's North American name.

Interesting to find each version has a different soundtrack. The Mac Version has a "CoLD SToRaGE" track list different from the Saturn version.

Wipeout on Saturn, and also N64 is such a curiosity because Wipeout is thought of as a PlayStation series.
I find shared games with Playstation on Saturn fascinating. It's not like today where there's almost no differences between platforms.

Last edited:

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
My understanding is that Sega was under obligation to develop at least one of its first party Dreamcast launch titles using Windows CE in return for Microsoft providing the console's secondary operating system

But, since SR2 was delayed, none of the launch games was developed for Wince, right? What happened then?

I'd suggest that the Supermodel emulator is now the best way to experience SR2, providing you have the necessary power to run it at full speed.

Agreed, I'm actually very impressed by the compatibility with Supermodel. It's finicky changing the control input, but I can live with that.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
There's nothing like Sega Rally, not even Dirt.

Japan got a Sega Rally Plus for Saturn. What's the difference besides $15?

jollyroger

Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
jollyroger
AG Join Date
XenForo says Oct 18, 2008, but actually I originally register in 1998...
XBand support and better support for the 3D analog pad, apparently...

Allie

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
In addition to the NetLink and 3D Control Pad support, Sega Rally Plus also carries over all improvements from the earlier PAL version, which had a slight edge over its NTSC counterparts due to it being the last version AM3 produced - new features included extra ghost car options, the Toyota emblem restored to the Celica (just like in the Model 2 original) and the Forest track's hairpin corner having a large mountain sprite in the background.

As for SR2 on the Dreamcast, I don't believe there was any repercussion from Sega not technically launching the Dreamcast with a title developed using Windows CE. My guess is that Microsoft was satisfied with how its deal worked out because of this game only being delayed by a few weeks, so it would still have been a showcase for the operating system it provided. Besides, there were many other high profile CE-powered efforts yet to come...

Reactions: jollyroger

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
If you can, get the PS2 version of Sega Rally instead.

Make a donation