PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Or all of them I double dipped with Virtual on. Both Saturn and PS2.

Slayer2k8

Registered
Mar 1, 2019
dreamcastcollector.com
The Real Life Career Series was little more than a well intentioned idea by someone at SEGA Europe i can't find the information that relates to this right now but it was never actually considered by Japan. I assume as while Emergency Call Ambulance and Jambo! Safari are fun arcade games they much like Wild Riders are very limited in scope. Brave Firefighters was technically to ambitious to try to release a port on the Dreamcast due to being one if probably only game to use that hardware the fire effects are still great.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
How well does those arcade ports compare to the arcade originals?

ParallaxScroll

Aug 5, 2019
With many gamers already waiting for the Saturn, which journalists had been hyping up as Sega's true next generation platform, my opinion is that 32X would have been DOA in any scenario where Saturn remained on the horizon. I'm not suggesting that Sega should have abandoned its plans beyond the 32X entirely, but consumers quickly saw through its status as a mere stop-gap, with even developers forced to choose between supporting an add-on that was doomed to a brief shelf life or concentrating on Saturn projects. In the end, 32X died with a pitiful software library to its name, while the Saturn was always playing catch-up with the PlayStation in this respect, when perhaps the ideal outcome would have been for Sega to...

Ah, forget it! When you have the Saturn rushed to launch in as crucial a market as America, catching all but a few in-house programming teams who knew of this plan off-guard, any talk of a potential best case situation goes out of the window. Even then, Sega's own first party efforts clearly had to be compromised. Can you picture what might have been if the Saturn hadn't arrived until around the same time as the Nintendo 64? Sega could have continued slowly introducing its players to polygonal 3D environments, abandoning the Saturn as we know it today for an infinitely more powerful solution that could have equalled or even surpassed the Model 2 board, blowing PlayStation out of the water and laying waste to Sony's dreams of becoming a contender altogether.

What could have been.

wkdNvLK.jpg

ZZSISDa.jpg

Allie

The Original VF3 Fangirl™
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
The Real Life Career Series was little more than a well intentioned idea by someone at SEGA Europe i can't find the information that relates to this right now but it was never actually considered by Japan. I assume as while Emergency Call Ambulance and Jambo! Safari are fun arcade games they much like Wild Riders are very limited in scope. Brave Firefighters was technically to ambitious to try to release a port on the Dreamcast due to being one if probably only game to use that hardware the fire effects are still great.

That particular compilation might have been more of a "pipe dream" by a single member of staff, but the Real Life Career/Sega Professional Series was definitely a thing for a while, because this also included Airline Pilots and 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker, the latter eventually making it to the Dreamcast as one of its last high profile NAOMI conversions in PAL territories. I've always thought of Crazy Taxi as a further part of the same group, even if it was released before this name started being officially used (not to mention that it takes itself far less seriously when compared with actual examples). Finally, in addition to Brave Firefighters, there were five other games produced for the Hikaru board - specifically Planet Harriers, Air Trix, Virtual-On Force, Star Wars Racer Arcade and NASCAR Arcade.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Of all my import 360 games, I play Virtual-On Force the least, can't get the hang of it.

For that matter I just can't get the hang of Virtual-On in general, and forget about It's clone games I had NO IDEA what I was doing in Hyper Riverthon last night.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Why's Burt Reynolds in VF3?

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
He wanted a piece of the Pai

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Would you say he has a finger in many pies?

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Here's another one...

WHY WHY WHY does the Dreamcast have such shitty S-video cables? Even if I get a VGA/Akura box (I am not adding that HDMI board) I'll still need it for unsupported games but I've had 3 of these things 2 had audio issues, of those 2 one just stopped outputting video, The "Good one" was having connection issues last night and the only way I could get my Framemiester to accept it was to use an S-video swtich and actual quality cables to get anything that even remotely looked good. By the time everything was looking ok, I didn't even want to play 3rd Strike.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
So....
Virtua Fighter 4

Is it just me or is it better than 5?

For one thing there's Sarah's Player 2 outfit...
953079.jpg

How much better would the Dreamcast version have been?

Allie

The Original VF3 Fangirl™
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
I never really thought of any installment that followed the initial VF3 as evolutionary - the series as a whole took an increasing number of backward steps rather than continuing to innovate. Instead of small areas with undulating terrain and natural surroundings, I was expecting VF4 to let players battle in even more open environments, as introduced by Spikeout. Alas, it seems as if Yu Suzuki's approach to each new sequel being truly revolutionary was dropped in favour of doing little except adding new characters to the roster and bringing online features.

As for how "better" a Dreamcast conversion of VF4 might have been, my understanding is that AM2 said they would only commit to such a project if their preliminary research concluded that there wouldn't need to be unnecessary technical compromises. However, where VF3 was ultimately announced for the Saturn, it speaks volumes that VF4 didn't surface on a console until the PlayStation 2... Even then, it was in a drastically reduced form that might have proved more obvious were it not for the decision to use a display mode that featured interlacing.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Yeah, I do enjoy the PS2 version of Evolution quite a bit. But I have a Framemeister to make everything look pretty.

There's something about 4 that's different to me. Like PPPPPK doesn't get you as far in 4 as it does in any other entry other than 3 where PPPPK Dodge is the key to victory.

ParallaxLayers777

Jul 18, 2020
Why did Sega and Panasonic M2 get divorced? I sort of know why, maybe not the full story though.

This was a pressing Sega question from 1996.

tu5emSy.jpg

ZdsBd3X.jpg

NikeX

Registered
Dec 15, 2019
to ParallaxLayers777:

Mr. Phil Burk (a very nice person and former 3DO Sound engineer) talked about it:

"...Third was a fab disaster. SEGA was very interested in buying our M2 chip for their next console. But when we got the first prototype chips back from the fab, they were missing a layer of metal. Some engineer at the fab left a line out of a script. This killed all the on-chip RAMs including the graphics texture RAM and the DSP RAM. So, the demos we showed to SEGA did not have any textures and ran very slow. The next chip worked fine but it was too late..."

SOURCE:

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
What Voodoo was used to make Darius so spot on for the Genesis?

If you've played it on Real hardware it's mind blowing.

From what I've been told the arcade board Darius uses and the Genesis have similar Yamaha sound chips. Knowing that now I just want Ninja Warriors on Genesis.

ParallaxLayers777

Jul 18, 2020
to ParallaxLayers777:

Mr. Phil Burk (a very nice person and former 3DO Sound engineer) talked about it:

"...Third was a fab disaster. SEGA was very interested in buying our M2 chip for their next console. But when we got the first prototype chips back from the fab, they were missing a layer of metal. Some engineer at the fab left a line out of a script. This killed all the on-chip RAMs including the graphics texture RAM and the DSP RAM. So, the demos we showed to SEGA did not have any textures and ran very slow. The next chip worked fine but it was too late..."

SOURCE:

NikeX, thank you very much for that quote!

Make a donation