Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
All games work fine with sound (obviously) on this unit, but the other day I was excited to try out The Sky Odyssey (Jp ver)... and there's no sound at all! The disc isn't scratched, I'm really puzzled. Is this a bug with some copies of the game? I tried cleaning the disc and rebooting a few times. BIOS screen has sound, then when the game loads, it all goes silent.

The unit does have problems reading multi-layered DVDs like GT4 and GT Concept 2002, but when it does play them, there's sound as usual.

?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: FromAllAspects

FromAllAspects

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
FromAllAspects
AG Join Date
December 7th, 2017
There's one thing it can usually be (I think I have this game, just never played it), maybe check your sound settings? Sometimes it can usually set to surround (if your TV isn't surround sound compatible, just select stereo or mono. Stereo being the better choice), but if it doesn't have this in an options menu, maybe check your TV settings. Sometimes it can be as little as that. I did it once to my Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR and it worked brilliantly. If not that, I'm fairly certain it may be the laser in your PlayStation 2. Sometimes they tend to act a bit erratic when they're nearly dead. (at least you can replace them. Do you know what model it is by chance?) I hope all these suggestions help and if they didn't, that's a bit of a strange problem!

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
I was randomly looking at some of my PS2 games and found one that says "NOT COMPATIBLE WITH DIGITAL OUT AUDIO"
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what???
so i guess sky odyssey is one of these games? can't really tell since it's the japanese version
help me out, it should be a disclaimer at the bottom

i hope someone went to jail for making ps2 games not compatible with the digital sound output, how's that possible?

the game in question was astro boy,
Incompatible with DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL)

FromAllAspects

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
FromAllAspects
AG Join Date
December 7th, 2017
I was randomly looking at some of my PS2 games and found one that says "NOT COMPATIBLE WITH DIGITAL OUT AUDIO"
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what???
so i guess sky odyssey is one of these games? can't really tell since it's the japanese version
help me out, it should be a disclaimer at the bottom

i hope someone went to jail for making ps2 games not compatible with the digital sound output, how's that possible?

the game in question was astro boy,
Incompatible with DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL)
Huh? That's weird. Oh well, I guess that was what made the PlayStation 2 rather quirky were certain games such as this. At least you found out what it was in the end.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
Yes, confirmed by another guy here:
Interestingly they say it could be to prevent audi grabbing via the optical output, which would sort of make sense for Astro Boy because it's a big license and all. Maybe Sky Odyssey has a killer soundtrack lol.

Make a donation