teckman02

Original poster
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
teckman02
AG Join Date
july 4 2017
Hoping someone could help me…. I think that I bricked my OG debug Xbox. I was trying to upgrade the HD I installed a 80 GB HD used the July 2001 3729 recovery iso the the install seemed to copy fine it reboots and then it freezes…. I reinstalled the original HD and it’s doing the same.

ChrisAn8er

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 12, 2021
Donations
£57.43
Sounds like a bad bios flash. Does it show the "flubber" on boot?

teckman02

Original poster
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
teckman02
AG Join Date
july 4 2017
Sounds like a bad bios flash. Does it show the "flubber" on boot?
This is what it is doing with the OG hard drive..... i also tried re-flashing it with the 5849.6 Recovery with the 80 gig maxtor DiamondMax drive.
The recovery ran and when it came to the point to eject the disk and reboot it would freeze. it also would do so with the OG drive

ChrisAn8er

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 12, 2021
Donations
£57.43
The bios flashed fine since it's showing the flubber start up. Is the disc still in the drive when you boot?

teckman02

Original poster
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
teckman02
AG Join Date
july 4 2017
The bios flashed fine since it's showing the flubber start up. Is the disc still in the drive when you boot?
the disk is not in the drive. i took it out when the system told me too.

ChrisAn8er

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 12, 2021
Donations
£57.43
The bios goes in an order of checking the disc drive then the hard drive for a executable to boot after start up. If nothing is in the DVD Drive then it has to be the Hard drive. But since it's not going to the Xbox logo it still could be a bad flash. Check if everything is securely connected.
Was it booting fine before you tried the recovery disc?

Last edited:

teckman02

Original poster
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
teckman02
AG Join Date
july 4 2017
The bios goes in an order of checking the disc drive then the hard drive for a executable to boot after start up. If nothing is in the DVD Drive then it has to be the Hard drive, but since it's not going to the Xbox logo it still could be a bad flash. Check if everything is securely connected.
Was it booting fine before you tried the recovery disc?
it was working fine i just wanted to put in a bigger hard drive.

teckman02

Original poster
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
teckman02
AG Join Date
july 4 2017
sooooo anyone have any ideas on what i could try?

Pikkon

Moving in Stereo
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pikkon
AG Join Date
Mar 4, 2005
Could very well be a bad hdd,it can freeze the system the same as yours.

You have another hdd you could try,don't think your bios is bad as you can still boot the recovery.

teckman02

Original poster
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
teckman02
AG Join Date
july 4 2017
Could very well be a bad hdd,it can freeze the system the same as yours.

You have another hdd you could try,don't think your bios is bad as you can still boot the recovery.

If it was a bad HDD why is it doing the same thing with the OG HDD?

Pikkon

Moving in Stereo
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pikkon
AG Join Date
Mar 4, 2005
I know,basically you need to try different things to try and pinpoint the problem.

You can try and burn a different recovery,new or same hdd,but will say even if your bios is bad a modchip flashed with a debug bios would work fine.

teckman02

Original poster
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
teckman02
AG Join Date
july 4 2017
I know,basically you need to try different things to try and pinpoint the problem.

You can try and burn a different recovery,new or same hdd,but will say even if your bios is bad a modchip flashed with a debug bios would work fine.
I've thought about the mod chip but don't know what one would be the best.id want one that i don't need to solder anything to the board.

Jackhead

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008

Speaking about a modchip. I tryed a openXenium, but the D0 from the MB dont work for a debug kit with openXenium. Well maybe because its not a debug bios. Are they any options? Dont think there is debug firmware for the chip?
Would love to run debug bios from MB and custom bios from the chip.

Pikkon

Moving in Stereo
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pikkon
AG Join Date
Mar 4, 2005
Not sure on the openXenium but have seen back in the day people using xecuter modchips on dev/debug kits.

Jackhead

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
I did now some work on my debug kit, changed the fans with noctuas, replace the thermal paste and remove the clock cap. Than i installed a 250GB SSD with a 80pin ide cable and sata ide converter. I used this site as guide and anything work perfect, really great information when you start working with a OG debug Xbox. https://www.s-config.com/original-xbox-debug-console/

@teckman02 I would try also a ssd on your side with the latest recovery disc 5849.6 and follow the guide.

Reactions: liana_s

teckman02

Original poster
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
teckman02
AG Join Date
july 4 2017
I did now some work on my debug kit, changed the fans with noctuas, replace the thermal paste and remove the clock cap. Than i installed a 250GB SSD with a 80pin ide cable and sata ide converter. I used this site as guide and anything work perfect, really great information when you start working with a OG debug Xbox. https://www.s-config.com/original-xbox-debug-console/

@teckman02 I would try also a ssd on your side with the latest recovery disc 5849.6 and follow the guide.

i just tried that and it didn't work. aldo tried whit the OG HDD

teckman02

Original poster
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
teckman02
AG Join Date
july 4 2017
Decided to reboot this topic, would anyone have any ideas on what i could do to fix this. if the EPROM does have a bad flash is there an EPROM programmer that you all would recommend for the XBOX that i could just plug in.

Make a donation