PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Given that Nintendo is pulling the plug slowly on 3ds and Wii u eshops and you can't download a thing on Wii anymore I find it amazing I can still download stuff I bought on 360.

Is it me or is Microsoft doing the best job with Digital preservation? Between limited support for old versions of windows to making sure we can play most of our old Xbox games
I think even some old Xbox servers are coming back too.

There's a reason I probably won't buy anymore digital games on Switch.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Most PS3 stuff can still be downloaded from PSN, too. I think it's only a matter of time before the 360 and PS3 stores get shut down, but it's kind of amazing that they've lasted this long - considering both consoles were officially discontinued years ago.

Microsoft probably intends for most of those games (the ones that are compatible with the One) to be playable on the Series X, so they probably won't go away entirely. I think at some point you won't be able to download them on a 360, though. It's possible that Sony has something similar planned for the PS5, which might explain why they've maintained the PS3 PSN store for so long.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Sony hasn't shut down Vita yet either. I think they did PSP but I'm not sure maybe you can still get PSP stuff on Vita.

I think of the 3 Microsoft is doing a good job maintaining some kind of digital preservation. To be fair they're also updating discontinued versions of windows for some governments too.

As it stands right now I'm most comfortable getting digital content on XBOX. I can't remember the last Digital PS4 game I got and Switch I may never get another digital game again unless Nintendo shows some initiative to maintain their legacy content.

Make a donation