Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Anyone played Death Stranding yet? What did you think?

I have not beat the game yet, but I've been told I'm about 2 thirds through it, so theres a perspective on my opinion.

Visually, the game is gorgeous. Gameplay wise, I think it is really fun but I admit it starts off very slow. I think some of the upgrades should have been introduced a bit earlier. Story wise, I haven't beat it yet but I am very interested.

After playing the game for quite a bit, I believe that most of the early reviewers didnt seem like they played very much of the game at all. The game is not for everyone, but I think some of the reviews were quite unfair.

For me personally, its probably one of my favorite games of the year. Anyone else play it yet?

20191111_231319.jpg

Last edited:

Dans34

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 19, 2019
Donations
£5.00
AGName
Dans87
AG Join Date
Jan 6, 2013
from watching a few playthroughs on YT , it seams a visually great game but gets alittle repetitive , maybe once I actually play it my opinion will change

Reactions: Pinta77

Awbacon

Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
I think I need to actually open it and play it...its sitting in my shame pile currently

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Definently try it. I will say it does feel repetitive and boring at the very beginning, but once you have some upgrades its actually fun for me because you get to gear up and choose what you want to bring on the journey. Not to mention walking with all those packages is just grueling before the upgrades.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I really enjoy it. I haven’t finished it yet, but I like the part I’ve played so far. Like you said, some of the gameplay can be a bit tedious, but only part of the time - and I find it’s mainly the graphics and the story that keep me interested.

Allie

The Original VF3 Fangirl™
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
I've not finished Death Stranding yet, but that's only because I keep switching between this and Shenmue III. I suspect both are going to take up a lot of my spare time over the next few weeks, if not months and perhaps years to come...

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I've not finished Death Stranding yet, but that's only because I keep switching between this and Shenmue III. I suspect both are going to take up a lot of my spare time over the next few weeks, if not months and perhaps years to come...

Same. Plus, I need to do more testing of my XV29 and I have other games I got recently to play, so it’s gonna take a while to do all that.

Spaceman

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Oct 18, 2018
AG Join Date
Jul 11, 2017
Not for me. Great storytelling and probably the apex of the CGI-acting medium so far, and Guillermo finally getting to do EXACTLY what he wants without getting kicked in the nuts for it really makes me happy for his and Kojima's future endeavors.

Way too less of a game and more of a movie, in my opinion. I don't mind an interactive "experience" or two, but coming from Kojima and his limitless power, I expected a lot more from the gameplay and mechanics.

The very very slow buildup into the gameplay loop(coupled with the incredibly slow-burning plot progression) really does hinder the motivation to continue playing, and really contributed to my disinterest.

Hopefully, Kojima's next works will be more pertaining to my interest.

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Not for me. Great storytelling and probably the apex of the CGI-acting medium so far, and Guillermo finally getting to do EXACTLY what he wants without getting kicked in the nuts for it really makes me happy for his and Kojima's future endeavors.

Way too less of a game and more of a movie, in my opinion. I don't mind an interactive "experience" or two, but coming from Kojima and his limitless power, I expected a lot more from the gameplay and mechanics.

The very very slow buildup into the gameplay loop(coupled with the incredibly slow-burning plot progression) really does hinder the motivation to continue playing, and really contributed to my disinterest.

Hopefully, Kojima's next works will be more pertaining to my interest.
Yeah I cant really disagree with your assessment. The only thing I'd say is personally, I dont mind the cutscenes all that much I guess because I was expecting it going in. But yeah

I think the other thing for me is I haven't played a lot of other triple A games recently (other than spiderman) and so every little thing is like amazing to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spaceman

TreblaYevrah

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 28, 2019
Donations
£20.56
timelesslunchbox.boards.net
AGName
TreblaYevrah
AG Join Date
Jul 15, 2011
Nice to see people having a rational discussion about the game... a lot of blind hate/praise being thrown around about it.

I was not overly hyped for Death Stranding, but I never doubted that it would be an interesting game. I've never disliked a game from Kojima and his team, so I had no reason to suspect it would be a poor experience.

I still haven't played it myself, but I watched my girlfriend go through most of it. I was surprised that the game was in fact fairly original, with a lot of unique ideas. Likewise I can see how some would find it boring. Definitely do plan to try it myself sometime. It's a quality production, no matter how you slice it... but yeah, definitely not everyone's cup of tea... and that's okay!

I will say that I'm not convinced a simple hood would be enough to truly protect the characters from that rain, haha.

Reactions: Pinta77 and cta

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
I will say that I'm not convinced a simple hood would be enough to truly protect the characters from that rain, haha.

Yeah I'm a little confused still about how the rain/time fall works. The rain will rapidly age you if you touch it, but then what's the water in the rivers made out of? The game makes it clear at one point that you can fill up your canteen with it and drink it.

Kuriatsu

May 30, 2019
I'm very early into the game, but as I recall, the rain is only aging rain until it hits the ground. As for the hood, There is material in the game that is age resistant, I remember picking up some wood that was rain resistant. So the hood is probably rain resistant and is changed out when going to private rooms.

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
I'm very early into the game, but as I recall, the rain is only aging rain until it hits the ground. As for the hood, There is material in the game that is age resistant, I remember picking up some wood that was rain resistant. So the hood is probably rain resistant and is changed out when going to private rooms.
Aaah ok that would make sense.

Make a donation