• We have added an "AG" Registration date/Username profile option. If you add this upon signup we'll be able to verify faster thanks. (If already joined you can edit under profile settings.)

If you had an account on OG1 you will need to re-register as this is a new start for all.

Tongara's Clockwork Knight Collection

Allie

The Original VF3 Fangirl™
Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
As much as I love the original, I've always really enjoyed the "Segarocks" arrangement of A Lullaby - especially this version from the Live in Japan recording:

P.S. The recording has long since vanished, but I once covered this song in the style of Radiohead's Motion Picture Soundtrack (just try and imagine that if you can)! I think my starting point was being inspired by the organ of the Segarocks treatment, and from there I slowed it down closer to what's heard over the end credits of Clockwork Knight. I may yet one day revisit this idea...

Allie

The Original VF3 Fangirl™
Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
On the subject of POGs, I once had the official Milkcap Maker, and I bought spare copies of certain SSM issues just so I could use pieces of Saturn-related artwork to create my own series. I seem to remember creating ranges based on Sega Touring Car and VF3 (naturally), but I've no idea where any of these went.

Also, speaking of A Lullaby...

Tongara

I'm just living in a Clockwork World...
Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
Also, speaking of A Lullaby...

Well, ain't that something! Haha

I'm very impressed. The arrangement was original, and apart from listing "Misumi Kosaka" as "Takano Urara" for some reason (She simply did a cover of the song way back when), I am delighted to see it!

Last edited:

Tongara

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
Right, for today, I'll post something that may be a bit nostalgic for members based in the US who would visit Toys "R" Us back in the day~

1. Clockwork Knight 1 & 2 - Toys "R" Us VidPro Cards

So, what exactly are these? Well, back in the 80's and 90's (and probably a bit beyond), these large cards were on the shelves of the game sections in US branches of Toys "R" Us. You would simply take one off the store shelf, and take it up to the designated counter, and then after the card was scanned (they generally ad a barcoded sticker with the price on) and you paid for your item, the clerk would simply go and get a copy of the game from the back room where they were kept.

What was the point of this? Well, for one, it saved on floor space in the store by having thinner shelving holding thin cards instead of full game cases. Another reason is also that it stopped potential theft of $60~ games from the shelves... at worst, you were stealing a piece of cardboard, costing the store virtually nothing in losses.

As a bonus, it not only showed the front cover, but the back cover of the game, too, as shown above, so you could find out exactly what the game was about, just like you could with the physical game in hand.

These cards were created by the company "Vidpro DALLAS・TORONTO". While the ones I am showing here are for the two Clockwork Knight games released in the US, pretty much every game you can think of that retailed probably had one, for all major consoles of said eras. Some were even printed for games that never actually made it to retail release (such as "Half Life" for Dreamcast)!

These cards were not sold at retail, and were most likely tossed when a game stopped retailing, but seemingly people have had access to them over the years, sometimes complete collections. They tend to go for not too much on eBay depending on the game (some go for a bit more depending on the games rarity and popularity, etc).

These are the only two I was interested in, for obvious reasons, and I was glad to get them without any pricing stickers. We never had VidPro or something alike it in the UK as far as I remember, so I was glad to finally pick them up after seeing them for years~

Druid II

Refugee
Reaction score
And about the prime selection sampler - I looked for it and bought it from you because:
1. I wanted to own it, as it is a piece of Clockwork Knight history, plus I had looked for it for a very long time.
and
2. To release it into the wild for everyone to enjoy, which my own dump and scan allows.

When I bought it from you, I assumed I was allowed to do as I wished with it, as I would with any other game I bought. I am sorry if that was not what you had in mind when selling it to me. Not much can be done now if thay is the case.
You misunderstand; I already dumped it and uploaded it, the reason I bought it in the first place was just that. I thought that if all you needed was the data then we could've saved some time and money. But I suppose if you needed it for your collection, then it's fine either way.

Tongara

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
You misunderstand; I already dumped it and uploaded it, the reason I bought it in the first place was just that. I thought that if all you needed was the data then we could've saved some time and money. But I suppose if you needed it for your collection, then it's fine either way.
Yeah, I really did want to have it, so it was genuinely appreciated. You are a pretty rad person. :cool:

That said, I had no idea that it was already dumped or uploaded anywhere (I could never find it, sadly)! Haha

I am glad all is good with this, regardless~

Tongara

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
For today, I'd like to post some of my favourite Clockwork Knight items... we're heading into the realm of books~

1. Clockwork Knight 1 & 2 - Official Guide Books

As the title says, these are literally official guide books for the Japanese releases of both Clockwork Knight games.

Releasing in January and August of 1995 respectively, these are super interesting books. They were used over the last 8 years to find some really interesting secrets about the games (especially the second), some of which were completely unknown to western audiences, including the hidden message and appearance from a digitised version of an idol of the era known as Hiroko Nakayama (中山 博子) who in addition to being a presenter for the Japanese Video Game TV Show Game Catalogue II (ゲームカタログII), was also a big fan of the first Clockwork Knight game, and a hidden message and 2D render of Hirokazu Hamamura (浜村 弘一), who in addition to being an irregular host on Game Catalogue II, was also former Weekly Famitsu chief editor (You can read more about this here).

The contents of the first book points to how late things in the game were changed, and shows a lot of evidence of the original intention being just 1 single Clockwork Knight game, on a much smaller scale than both games combined... In the same book, there is a special interview with the games producer, but sadly that has not to this date been translated... yet.

They were produced by Aspect (アスペクト), who were a subsidiary of ASCII Corporation, Inc., before later becoming a part of SEGA. During the era where they were owned by ASCII, they produced many guide books for all sorts of games, for lots of different consoles, including the two Clockwork Knight games. I think they still produce game guides, but from their start, they were also a publisher in general. The books were also made in association with Famicom Tsūshin (Famitsu), which at the time was also another ASCII subsidiary.

I intend to have both of these books professionally scanned and translated at some point.

2. Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchau no Daibouken (CG Storybook)

This is one of my favourite EVER Clockwork Knight items...

Quite a rare item, this book was actually put together by the "Clockwork Knight Team" themselves who actually worked on the game, and was released a few days before the game in December of 1994.

This book is very special. It contains beautiful renders of the first Clockwork Knight game, some never seen before (such as the outside of the house the game is set in!). The book also seems to tell the ORIGINAL story of Clockwork Knight, as it was originally meant to be put out...

What do I mean by that? Well, as mentioned about the above first guide book, there was a lot of evidence pointing to 1 single, much shorter game than the two games combined...

Both this book and the first guide book actually include shots of the ending of Clockwork Knight 2, which is funny, as the ending scene of Clockwork Knight 2 has far more resemblance to the "Attic" levels of the first game than the "Clock Tower" levels the end of the second game is set in.

The ending of this book is also completely different to how the story goes in the game. It's really exciting stuff, and as I have more than one copy, I'll be having this professionally scanned at some point and translated at my own costs, as I want the full, original story out there.

Last edited: