Jun 28, 2019
Donations
£20.56
timelesslunchbox.boards.net
AGName
TreblaYevrah
AG Join Date
Jul 15, 2011
I'm one of the people that never got tired of this franchise, and even bought the hugely disappointing THPS5 on release day. I honestly never expected the series to come back from that, so I was shocked to hear about this:

This is basically the third time they'll have remastered the first two games... however, this time I believe it'll be done very well. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x was great on the original Xbox, actually... and frankly Robomodo should have just ported that instead of the Pro Skater HD we got. 2x already included every stage from the first two games, with much higher res textures... and even some fancy grass effects for the time. It was also literally the Pro Skater 2 engine.

Anyway, Robomodo may have been dealt a poor hand with THPS5... who knows what happened there. Regardless, Vicarious Visions is a promising studio to pull this off. They even have a history with the franchise, and apparently some ex-Neversoft employees currently work there.

What they've confirmed so far:

-Every stage from THPS1+2 (will be interesting to see levels like San Francisco finally given a proper update)
-Create-A-Skater and Create-A-Park (deeper than ever, apparently)
-Splitscreen multiplayer (also online... but the inclusion of offline multiplayer is more shocking to me)
-Some songs from the original soundtrack+some new (similar situation to Pro Skater HD... frankly it's easy enough to play your own music on consoles if you want all the original songs)
-Includes newer tricks such as reverts
-September release

They aren't referencing Robomodo's Pro Skater HD at all, apparently; the levels are being updated from the ground up yet again. To be fair, I think Pro Skater HD had potential... but hopefully this new engine feels closer to the Neversoft titles. This has the potential to be a dream come true for me, so I'm definitely eager to hear/see more in the coming months.

TylerLasagna

May 11, 2020
I think this remaster will have the biggest potential given the track history of Vicarious Visions and the lessons learned by Activision. Simply hiring a cheap studio, Robomodo, to make a THPS engine and all of the levels was a horrible move and an obvious cash grab. As you stated, previous Neversoft workers are working on this title. Notably the "greatest Tony Hawk player of all time", andyTHPS who started working at Neversoft during THAW.

I will note, the gameplay we've seen thus far has remnants of THPS5/THHD character animations. Even if these are temporary, that gives us a hint that the game will be developed in Unreal similar to Robomodo. Judging by the physics comparison in the trailer, they've got a good handle on what it needs to feel like. They made it public that VV has access to Neversoft "handler code", hopefully implying the control handlers.

Here's to more THPS in the future if this goes well!

Reactions: TreblaYevrah

TreblaYevrah

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 28, 2019
Donations
£20.56
AGName
TreblaYevrah
AG Join Date
Jul 15, 2011
I am hoping for a really solid park editor again... that's something we haven't gotten since THAW, and even then it was just THUG2's editor with some minor tweaks. THP8 not having an editor at all was depressing, and the "Skate Lounge" in THPG just wasn't quite the same. Robomodo tried with THPS5, but it felt like a mess... and you could barely fit anything in the map anyway before the memory maxed out.

They have mentioned the ability to "morph" objects in this one... so I'm very curious to see footage of the new editor in the near future.

Zabrocki

Dec 19, 2019
I preordered this so quick, I really hope it's not a let down. I have a lot of faith in this studio.

Anakin94

Feb 12, 2020
AGName
Anakin94
AG Join Date
August 1, 2018
I love Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 on PS1, i beat this game with every skater more times.
And it made me to a Powerman 5000 fan.;)
My biggest problem with Pro Skater HD were the controls and the feeling.
I hated the speed decrease at grinding.
Also the animations were looking strange, because at turning the skateboard slipped to the side, which is physically unlogical.
In the old games it was perfect.
What i also hated at Pro Skater HD was the ragdoll physik.
It looks like that the skater died when he falling and the're no get up animations and no skateboard rolled up.
The Unreal Engine does not fit to a skateboard game.
I really hoping that the remastered Pro Skater 1 and 2 are feeling like the old ones.
The videos are looking very hopeful.
But i miss the Neversoft logo.:p

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
If it handles exactly like thps2, I'm buying it.

I played this game so much on Dreamcast, that I was 100%-ing a skater in like 30 minutes at some point.

Reactions: Anthony817

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
If it handles exactly like thps2, I'm buying it.

I played this game so much on Dreamcast, that I was 100%-ing a skater in like 30 minutes at some point.

Same dude, I busted my ass on a skateboard in the 90's but this game was legendary!

I can't wait to see this game bro.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
I'll try it out for sure, I go back to THPS2X for Xbox once in a while. Which one could say was the first remaster.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I’m interested in it. I hope it turns out to be good and they eventually make a remake of 3; that’s my favorite game in the series.

Reactions: TreblaYevrah

TreblaYevrah

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 28, 2019
Donations
£20.56
AGName
TreblaYevrah
AG Join Date
Jul 15, 2011
Pro Skater 3 is also my favorite in the series, and I think Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 123 (three games in one) would have been a catchier name for this project than 1+2, haha.

Still, at least this release is including tricks/combo updates from 3 and onward. I see some people saying they only want this game if it handles like Pro Skater 2... my theory is it'll be something more like Pro Skater 4/Underground... minus the walking. If it does actually end up feeling more like the PS1 titles, then I hope they at least make the revert function better than it did in Shaba's PS1 version of THPS3.

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
This is looking awesome and can't wait to replay THPS1 & 2 in it's ultimate form. The only thing I don't understand is that they have not been able to sign ALL tracks and are skipping a couple of iconic songs in my opinion.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
This is looking awesome and can't wait to replay THPS1 & 2 in it's ultimate form. The only thing I don't understand is that they have not been able to sign ALL tracks and are skipping a couple of iconic songs in my opinion.
Music licensing is notoriously shitty.

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
I'm on the fence...some days I like this idea, some days I just think I'll probably just keep playing it on the Dreamcast. I guess it depends how it plays. I'm not sure how I feel about getting the Revert tricks on the old courses.. Could be nice but it could also make it too easy in stages like the Warehouse to just basically do one long combo.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
The only thing I don't understand is that they have not been able to sign ALL tracks and are skipping a couple of iconic songs in my opinion.

That kinda sucks. Do you know which songs are missing?

I'm on the fence...some days I like this idea, some days I just think I'll probably just keep playing it on the Dreamcast.

This is kind of how I feel. I already have both of the Dreamcast versions (plus 2X on the Xbox). I’m interested in this, but I’m not sure if I’m interested enough to actually buy it. If they release a demo, I’ll definitely try that.

EDIT: The video mentions a demo, but apparently you have to preorder the game to get it.

Last edited:

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
Sure does. I hope it ends up not being a pre-order thing, that's pretty dumb

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
Music licensing is notoriously shitty.
Surely it's all about the benjamins ;) You would expect for a multi million franchise to pay up and truly give the full package.

That kinda sucks. Do you know which songs are missing?
  • Suicidal Tendencies - “Cyco Vision”
  • Unsane - “Committed”
  • Anthrax & Public Enemy - “Bring the Noise”
  • The High & Mighty - “B-Boy Document ‘99"
  • Alley Life - “Out With The Old”
(source: https://kotaku.com/here-are-the-tracks-that-wont-be-in-the-tony-hawks-pro-1843485365)

Make a donation