Bazatree

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jan 21, 2019
Donations
£5.00
I have two broken PS3 kits (DECR1400 and DECHJ) from a closed studio and they might have builds. Since I can't see their EID key, I can't dump their HDDs. Gave them to a repairman in my area, but no luck.

DECR1400
It was damaged during the shipping. The seller just threw the console into a wide box and shipped it as is. During the transit, something hit the left upper corner, a place with a power socket, and now the console has green light of death. It powers on, shows green light, but no image and no blinking orange LED is present. If I hold power off button, it doesn't prepare the console to be turned off, but instead it just cuts the power off.
I gave it to a repairman. He tried to heat the motherboard but it didn't work. If I recall correctly I tried to swap the power supply. No luck.

DECHJ
It was sold broken and I knew it. As soon as I power on the console, it immediately shuts down. After that the buttons do nothing. To try again I have to unplug the console. If I recall correctly I tried to swap power supply too.
I gave it to a repairman. The repairman said that there is a short circuit and it would take him years to find it. Not sure if he tried to warm the motherboard.

Do we have someone here in Europe who might try to fix these consoles?

Last edited:

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
Can these be delidded to apply quality thermal paste like retail fat consoles? Just curious.

nino

Jan 7, 2021
Heating up entire boards for fixing them is not a good idea, despite being very common. Short circuits can often be found using thermal imaging while the board is turned on... if there are any short circuits, which I somewhat doubt, as I've seen many dead PS3s, but none with a short on the board. Please note that Cell, RSX, the VRM FETs etc always get hot; you would need to look for small components that SHOULDNT get hot, like resistors oder ceramic capacitors.

You'd be better off looking for visible damage on the board that got damaged in shipping, like ripped off parts etc.

For the other one, you might want to take a look at the Proadlizer issue (these weird NEC/TOKIN capacitors in a black, flat package between the VRM and CPU/GPU). They often fail with such symptoms; often even with a YLOD.

Nex

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
I can't help you with the repair but you should dump the HDD before even powering them up. You can always get the EID key afterwards. As far as I'm aware even little writes can decrease the chances of data recovery. There are people around here knowing far more than me but thats what I have been told multiple times

Reactions: mementomori

CygnosOne

Donator
Donator
May 18, 2020
Donations
£8.56
On the first one you could try to read out the error from the syscon (soldering required and an cheap UART Adapter)
Could be related to the GPU. Maybe need to be replaced.

On the second one it could be a short on the 12V rail. That could explain why the power cuts of completly, since in Standby only the 5v rail is avtivated.

Theres a modchip out there that manipulates the data lines from RSX to Syscon to enable RSX swap from different revisions. Example COK-001 motherboard with a 40nm RSX from a PS3 Super Slim 40xx series.
Have a couple of them at home. But never had the time to try it out... But it should work. Other people tried it already.

Reactions: Bazatree

SOLDERIRON

Registered
Oct 29, 2019
AGName
UNICOLLECTOR01
AG Join Date
29/10/2019
On the first one you could try to read out the error from the syscon (soldering required and an cheap UART Adapter)
Could be related to the GPU. Maybe need to be replaced.

On the second one it could be a short on the 12V rail. That could explain why the power cuts of completly, since in Standby only the 5v rail is avtivated.

Theres a modchip out there that manipulates the data lines from RSX to Syscon to enable RSX swap from different revisions. Example COK-001 motherboard with a 40nm RSX from a PS3 Super Slim 40xx series.
Have a couple of them at home. But never had the time to try it out... But it should work. Other people tried it already.
Rsx doesn't require a mod chip to swap to smaller die version,only the cpu is married to the syscon and nor/nand chip. The consoles maybe dead but if you good with Linux you could probably dump the hdds?

SOLDERIRON

Registered
Oct 29, 2019
AGName
UNICOLLECTOR01
AG Join Date
29/10/2019
Heating up entire boards for fixing them is not a good idea, despite being very common. Short circuits can often be found using thermal imaging while the board is turned on... if there are any short circuits, which I somewhat doubt, as I've seen many dead PS3s, but none with a short on the board. Please note that Cell, RSX, the VRM FETs etc always get hot; you would need to look for small components that SHOULDNT get hot, like resistors oder ceramic capacitors.

You'd be better off looking for visible damage on the board that got damaged in shipping, like ripped off parts etc.

For the other one, you might want to take a look at the Proadlizer issue (these weird NEC/TOKIN capacitors in a black, flat package between the VRM and CPU/GPU). They often fail with such symptoms; often even with a YLOD.
If you want to send one or both to me I could try see if I can either try repair or dump hdds, depending on your location.

CygnosOne

Donator
Donator
May 18, 2020
Donations
£8.56
Rsx doesn't require a mod chip to swap to smaller die version,only the cpu is married to the syscon and nor/nand chip. The consoles maybe dead but if you good with Linux you could probably dump the hdds?
No thats not true. You can´t swap a 90nm with a 40nm or 65nm RSX without doing some hardware modification to the system. First, the 90nm RSX runs at a higher voltage, you also have to modify that plus the chip which manipulates the data between RSX and Syscon.
There are Sony refurbs with smaller RSX version, Sony swapped the syscon with a special firmware. Also some other changes in the circruit.

SOLDERIRON

Registered
Oct 29, 2019
AGName
UNICOLLECTOR01
AG Join Date
29/10/2019
Yes modified power maybe, not a mod chip though. What is the voltage difference? Between the 3 different size rsx chip

DeltaSixFive

Donator
Donator
Jul 21, 2019
Donations
£42.22
Hi there, could you please PM me, i do have someone who can help you out with repair and recovery. Thanks

Obsidian

NZ PS2 Collector
Donator
Registered
Jun 4, 2019
ps2apps.com
AGName
PS2Guy
AG Join Date
Jan 19, 2011

Funny, cause that's how you used to repair a Retail PS3 (which I've had plenty of success doing), which meant heating the whole board.
I'm still using this process with great success.

When a board is Reballed it's also heated up.

Make a donation