Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast Unoffcial Deunan gdemu (DREAMCAST ODE)

truemaster

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
its about time to brink back a thread long missing like this. and what an opportunity with the newly released gdemu FW
discussions like new FW, compatible sd cards, gdmenus can go here. if any member make a new submisions on such i will update this post. and of cource games compatibility can be discused here
this deserves a sticky

LATEST FW
5.20.3 as of 8/6/2020. stability improvements over the older
(NOTE ALL OLDER GDEMU WITH FW LIKE 5.15 NEED AN UPDATER FIRST!!!!! BEFORE ACCEPTING 5.20+ AND FOLLOW THE CORECT STEPS!!!!!)
DL and information about the fixes features and updating steps here

compatible sd cards
kingstone SD10VG2 all sizes 32GB 64GB 128GB

GDMENUS
neuroacid v0.6 (latest)
DL

also a windows app that can manage contents on sd card from @sonik

preparing sd card to be usable for GDEMU
sd card must be formated to FAT32 and cluster size 32kb/sector. by default windows will NOT allow you to format to FAT32 with sd cards that its size is greater than 32gb. a good tool for fomat the card is the guiformat, it also has selection for the cluster size look for allocation unit size requested information
IF 64KB/CLUSTER IS ALSO OK PLEASE COMMENT ABOUT IT AND I WILL ADD IT HERE

determin if an sd card not listed here is really compatible or not with gdemu.
as a fellow member @krisk77 once said the crazy taxi stress test can accuratly determing this. let the demo video loop for 2+ hours if the console does not freeze your card is good. but make sure your psu is indeed make good contact and is in good contition. gdemu will cut operation if the 3.3v line drops resulting to freeze.

Last edited:
Reactions: fafadou

Mathieulh

Problem Solver
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Mathieulh
AG Join Date
01/01/2006
I kinda wonder if that update works with the gdemu 1.15b clone, given how it uses the same hardware as the original, has anyone checked?

truemaster

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
i dont know much about clones but theres 2 different ones the one with atmel chip ATSAM3U2E and one with ATSAM3U4E the later is incopatible for sure. the other one is 50/50 my advice dont do it. unless instructed otherwise from someone that can be trusted.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
I kinda wonder if that update works with the gdemu 1.15b clone, given how it uses the same hardware as the original, has anyone checked?

Don't even attempt it unless you want to brick your device and have a paperweight. No logical reason to even update since the only thing that is lacking is Bleem retail support. japanese_cake is already removing all protections from the retail bleems and we will be able to play them soon on the GDEMU clones.

The Chinese clone manufacturer had to customize the previous firmware to run on the clones due to slight differences in the hardware such as completly different Amtel chip model numbers as stated above, so many things were changed vs how they are in the retail version. This is why you can't simply flash them with the retail firmware because doing so will brick the device.

stranno

Registered
Mar 28, 2020
AGName
stranno
Don't even attempt it unless you want to brick your device and have a paperweight. No logical reason to even update since the only thing that is lacking is Bleem retail support. japanese_cake is already removing all protections from the retail bleems and we will be able to play them soon on the GDEMU clones.
The button to change the disc doesnt work in my clone.

fafadou

Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
It's not for swapping disc it's a reset no ?

stranno

Registered
Mar 28, 2020
AGName
stranno
It's not for swapping disc it's a reset no ?
It is supposed to be a button to change the discs. At least in the official GDEmu.

It is possible to play multi-disc games by either storing all the images on the same card and selecting them with the button, or by swapping the cards.

truemaster

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
it could be a cold solder joint or a defective button. only with multimeter you can confirm this. if you have a friend or you have your self a very basic knowledge on electronics and a basic soldering knowledge you can easily correct this issue..

Mathieulh

Problem Solver
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Mathieulh
AG Join Date
01/01/2006

The Chinese clone manufacturer had to customize the previous firmware to run on the clones due to slight differences in the hardware such as completly different Amtel chip model numbers as stated above, so many things were changed vs how they are in the retail version. This is why you can't simply flash them with the retail firmware because doing so will brick the device.
You have not read what I wrote have you? The 1.15b GDEMU has NO HARDWARE DIFFERENCES to the real one. Also, did you even read the 5.20 changelog? Code Veronica Support isn't some "small thing".

My question isn't some recommendation as to whether flash or not flash the update, my question is, does it work? Has anyone tried it on the 1.15b revision? (And yes, I know it would brick any clone not using the same hardware as the original).

truemaster

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
the chips of 1.15b are indeed the same as the original. but what about the coding of the clones? if the coding on the fpga is not the same the update may brick the device. thats why someone trusted is required here to say the word yes or no

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
So his new FW 5.20.x cannot be installed as is in any PCB shipped before 2020. You need to run an updater file first, which for some reason Deunan has removed from where he had uploaded it yesterday.

Reactions: truemaster

truemaster

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
the updater has problems with a certain gdemu batch propably an updated one will come

Mathieulh

Problem Solver
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Mathieulh
AG Join Date
01/01/2006
Last edited:

Mathieulh

Problem Solver
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Mathieulh
AG Join Date
01/01/2006
the updater has problems with a certain gdemu batch propably an updated one will come
"UPDATE: The updater was tested on pretty much every GDEMU revision there was, including the early 2014 v5.0 models, and worked every time so I’m releasing it. "

Is what it says on his main page.

truemaster

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
yes but 2-3 people had problems. and its been determine that the the original bootloaders on some gdemus wont accept the new bootloader updater. so im guessing he removed it to avoid more trouble and an updated one will released again.

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010

Well it was one guy who was having issues, everyone else seemed okay, and my version was older than his anyway.

That's what happens when someone uses sendspace to share files....

I mirrored the files on google drive.

Cool, I "requested access" as your files are not publicly open.

truemaster

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
yes the issue will affect a minority of users. but that justified why the 5.20.1 update is still there, and the updater is not.
@Mathieulh one way or another very kind of you to share the update,r now that is not avaible on gdemu site. hope for people that updated fine that wont need to reflash the upcoming updater again.

Last edited:
Reactions: fafadou

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
yes the issue will affect a minority of users. but that justified why the 5.20.1 update is still there, and the updater is not

I understand but as usual, he never says that, and just kept the blog as is with a broken link, leading to more confusion. I just want the updater so I can do mine, put this on ebay, and get it out of my hair!!!

Reactions: truemaster

truemaster

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
yes he aknowlegde the issue, but no word about removing the updater. or when a newer one will be uploaded. good for you or anyaone else that want the update @Mathieulh have it

Last edited:

Make a donation