PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I figure we probably need one of these for the OSSC/Framemiester/Retrotink/anything in the pipeline.

Getting us started, I dropped my framemiester remote and didn't break the battery cover, but the part that slides in bent slightly. double stick tape for now. Might try to melt it back into place later. But I was wondering, is there any other kind of IR remote that works with the Framemiester in case I have to replace it down the line?

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
But I was wondering, is there any other kind of IR remote that works with the Framemiester in case I have to replace it down the line?

Some universal remotes can learn the commands from any other remote by pointing them at each other. My Sony remote will do this. It saves the commands even if you replace the batteries, so you only have to do it once - unless you accidentally or intentionally erase it. As long as the remote you're trying to learn functions from works well enough to send an IR signal, you can reprogram the universal remote however many times you want. If the only problem with your Framemeister remote is the battery cover, what I'm describing shouldn't be an issue.

Braintrash

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
Braintrash
AG Join Date
Nov 5, 2011
Wouldn't it be better to open a dedicated thread about remotes and keep the upscaler/line doubler subject on topics like:
- what's the difference between an upscaler and a line doubler;
- what are the available models;
- what are the now out of production models;
- what's the best setup you can get;
- etc.

But remotes are really another topic IMO.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Wouldn't it be better to open a dedicated thread about remotes and keep the upscaler/line doubler subject on topics like:
- what's the difference between an upscaler and a line doubler;
- what are the available models;
- what are the now out of production models;
- what's the best setup you can get;
- etc.

But remotes are really another topic IMO.

The EON HDMI Adapter for Gamecube needs a remote to access it's features.
I don't know what kind of remote the OSSC uses but in my searches on the topic it comes up more than the Framemiester.
There is NO information about using an alternate remote on the Framemiester.

I think it's as important as anything when talking about a scaler.

Most basic Scaler info My life in Gaming covers. https://www.youtube.com/mylifeingaming

I think for the most part all the information about scalers is easily found, but things like replacing remotes, settings for S-video, alternate remotes, The best cables to use and how to use them, where to find JP21 (Japanese RGB) Selectors) and connecting VGA aren't as readily available as I'd like.

Far as I know the Retrotink and the OSSC are the only inproduction models, HD Retrovision is cooking something up. Framemiester is going to be discontinued but I have no idea when.

As far as the best set up I'm using an RGB JP21 cable for my Genesis from Retro Access, A monster component cable for my Japanese PS2 and HD Retrovision cables for my Saturn and Super Famicom.

Honestly too I don't know what everything on the Framemiester does after 2 years of Having one. I don't know what H/V does, or sync, or how I've gotten the delay between resolution change down to 3 seconds on some consoles. We can cover that too.

But for now...Me need alternate remote. For a $300-400 device the Frameiester remote sure is flimsy and uncomfortable to use.

Last edited:

Braintrash

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
Braintrash
AG Join Date
Nov 5, 2011
Still, you label a topic with "Upscaler/Line doubler thread" and you talk about remotes...

Well, it just shows that you are as careful with threads than with remote. ?

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I didn't see the remote fall

A Facebook group told me a Logitech remote will do the trick

Last edited:

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Ok lets rebeoot,

The Framemister,OSSC and even the Retrotink have one crucial flaw.

Dead or alive Virtua Fighter 2, Sotn, Die hard Arcade/Dynamite Deka,All Japan Pro Wrestling, Rival Schools, Chrono Cross among others are unplayable due to resolution changes.

Those cheap video scalers that are around $30-100 treat these mixed resolutions as straight 480i so they don't have that problem.

I have an idea of splitting my Component signal one to Framemister and the other to one of the cheap scalers but I want the best of the worst.
So what's the best of the worst?

cyrix

Registered
Jun 9, 2019
AGName
cyrix
AG Join Date
Jul 29, 2010
I have another question:

I'd love to double the scanlines in a lagless way with the original xbox. That way I can play Halo 1 on 1280x960 on a CRT monitor. What do you guys recommend I do? I'm pretty sure the retrotink doesn't do this, so it's either the framemeister or OSSC, but the framemeister is super expensive and the OSSC outputs to HDMI. Should I be good with just OSSC and an HDMI->VGA converter, or does anyone recommend anything else? Audio will be going to external speakers regardless so that doesn't matter.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
What kind of Monitor?

You might want to track down an older line doubler with analog output.

cyrix

Registered
Jun 9, 2019
AGName
cyrix
AG Join Date
Jul 29, 2010
Just a generic old CRT monitor that probably does 1280x1024.

EDIT: Recommendations on an older line doubler with analog output?

Last edited:

rama

Jun 13, 2019
AGName
rama
AG Join Date
Dec 17, 2015
Those cheap video scalers that are around $30-100 treat these mixed resolutions as straight 480i so they don't have that problem.

I have an idea of splitting my Component signal one to Framemister and the other to one of the cheap scalers but I want the best of the worst.
So what's the best of the worst?

My project is that "best of the worst".
It takes the $20 GBS8200 board and seriously upgrades the software.
Now the board does 240p properly, can deinterlace 480i with just a field of lag, handles EDTV and HDTV + all things VGA or retro home computers video.
It doesn't have any of the typical cheap upscaler issues. It plays in a much higher league.

You need to build it your own. Parts are cheap and plentiful though, and the build process is more or less just soldering a few wires.

Unfortunately not a lot of captures on Youtube at this time. I would upload some if I had a capture card :/
Anyway, this one is a little older but it shows the scanlines for 240p and seamless 240p / 480i switching (but the deinterlacing looks better these days).

Last edited:

Braintrash

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
Braintrash
AG Join Date
Nov 5, 2011
I have seen examples of gbs-control and it works really great. It is definitely a worthy solution.

rama

Jun 13, 2019
AGName
rama
AG Join Date
Dec 17, 2015
VGA to HDMI dongle with audio, or grab from SCART or otherwise.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Alright, I'll be grabbing one of these

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
There's a new OSSC Pro on its way!

ISL51002 video ADC:
* improved sync processing robustness
* reduced sampling jitter with DPLL
* fine-grained video LPF
* automatic sampling phase adjustment

Cyclone V FPGA (5CEFA5F23C8N):
* higher performance and more resources
* hard memory controller
* large number of IOs

Clocking and memory improvements:
* Si5351C clock generator for accurate output pixel clock generation (framelock or free-running)
* 512MB LPDDR2 RAM and 16MB QSPI flash

New AV inputs:
* HDMI
* SPDIF (optical)

2×20 pin GPIO connector for future expansion possibilities such as:
* composite & s-video input module
* secondary video output (e.g. VGA) module
* latency tester interface module
* game controller port module (for using OSSC Pro as a dedicated FPGA console)

The processing modes enabled by the HW can be split roughly into three types:

1. Pure line multiplier
* both active and blanking lines multiplied – basically what original OSSC does
* simplest mode with least latency

2. Adaptive line multiplier
* visible lines are multiplied but horizontal & vertical total matched to standard timings
* high compatibility with minimal latency overhead (1-30 lines typically)
* enables some new output configurations such as 4x240p/2x480p in standard 1080p frame

3. Scaler
* higher flexibility via LPDDR2 utilization
* HQ deinterlacing
* non-integer scaling
* rotation
* refresh rate conversion

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I went an made a new thread because I couldn't find this one.

and it was right under my nose the whole time.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Hmm

My framemiester has been a little disappointing. Between the brittle remote, and now the pins on my RGB adapter bending leaving me with a JP 21 cable I can't use, I'm thinking of a replacement... This + M Classic might be it.

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Looks like a new RetroTink (5x-Pro) soon in the offing. May supplant the OSSC.

Make a donation