• We have added an "AG" Registration date/Username profile option. If you add this upon signup we'll be able to verify faster thanks. (If already joined you can edit under profile settings.)

If you had an account on OG1 you will need to re-register as this is a new start for all.

Virtua Fighter 2 - Saturn 60 FPS Performance CD-R - Tokyo Toy Show '95

Tongara

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
Found an interesting tweet last night, might interest some people here...

"Oh, this is the 60 FPS performance Demo Disc of the Saturn version of Virtua Fighter 2 that was first shown at the Toy Show."

Yes, this is the very same disc that was shown at Tokyo Toy Show '95 to show off the then upcoming Saturn version of Virtua Fighter 2 in it's full 60FPS glory.

Some footage of this demo at said event can be seen here (06:51 - 08:42 & 24:25 - 24:45):

And here, too (11:24 - 12:32):

In addition to the above, part of this footage can also be seen (albeit in low quality Cinepak...) here via "Saturn Super Vol. 2" (0:56 - 1:55):

ALSO, Here on the Sega Saturn UK VHS Tape - Thanks, @Allie! (07:45 - 09:16)

So, this is obviously something VERY cool!

Last edited:

Allie

The Original VF3 Fangirl™
Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
Footage of this same tech demo can also be found on the VHS tape included with the first issue of the UK Official Sega Saturn Magazine, which appears to be one of few examples I can find showing direct feed material likely sourced from its contacts within Sega Euope (rather than the result of someone literally holding a camera up to screens that had "no recording" messages present in the bottom left corner). Even though it's non-playable code, I really do hope the disc's contents are released...

P.S. The early build of Virtua Cop from this event turned up in the hands of a well-known collector a few years ago, but I don't believe it was ever uploaded anywhere.

pato

Refugee
Reaction score
Footage of this same tech demo can also be found on the VHS tape included with the first issue of the UK Official Sega Saturn Magazine, which appears to be one of few examples I can find showing direct feed material likely sourced from its contacts within Sega Euope (rather than the result of someone literally holding a camera up to screens that had "no recording" messages present in the bottom left corner). Even though it's non-playable code, I really do hope the disc's contents are released...

P.S. The early build of Virtua Cop from this event turned up in the hands of a well-known collector a few years ago, but I don't believe it was ever uploaded anywhere.
Almost sure it didn't, Virtua Cop 2 proto was released years ago though.

Bramsworth

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Bramsworth
AG Join Date
June 1, 2007
Should be noted the owner is a former Sega dev, so there's zero chance they'd ever dump it.

dark

Reaction score
AG User Name
dark
AG Join Date
September 2, 2011
Neat rolling demo, the graphics basically look like the final game to me. Is there something notable to the graphics that I'm not seeing?

dyer60

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
Very cool looking Demo, it’s tricky to tell from the footage how much better/smoother it is vs the final release.

It would be great to see it running live to judge, big ask though given the owner! Fingers crossed

Tongara

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
Footage of this same tech demo can also be found on the VHS tape included with the first issue of the UK Official Sega Saturn Magazine
I thought I forgot something! I've added it to the OP~

Should be noted the owner is a former Sega dev, so there's zero chance they'd ever dump it.
Yep, pretty sad...

Neat rolling demo, the graphics basically look like the final game to me. Is there something notable to the graphics that I'm not seeing?
According to one of the videos:
"Lion and Shun have different and decidedly worse models (It looks like Lion is missing his fingers and Shun's belt is only visible sometimes) and it seems the other character models seem quickly edited from Virtua Fighter Remix instead of the final game's models."
A much clearer VHS source was added to the OP, too, and it shows it a bit better.

Last edited:

Tongara

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
Double post, but yeah...

So, apparently this disc contains just Pai and Lau... should have noticed that written on the disc!
4558_Screenshot_20191203-161234_Twitter.jpg

This means the parts with Shun and Lion were probably on another disc also being shown on the same day, probably in displays right by one another.

Something else interesting, the original tweet also talked about Pai's character image song from her GC collection disc entitled "Oh My Shinin' Star" and that also just happened to be what first plays over the fighting demo of Pai and Lau on the Sega Saturn UK VHS (07:50 - 08:28)...

So, this 48 seconds of footage is probably the exact same as what is on the disc, and there could be more to it that we've ever seen, too. Interesting!

Last edited:

Allie

The Original VF3 Fangirl™
Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
Very cool looking Demo, it’s tricky to tell from the footage how much better/smoother it is vs the final release.
Contemporary reports described this earliest public tech demo for Saturn VF2 as running at 60fps, which is identical to the (NTSC) retail build. Of course, it doesn't have to worry about controller input, collision detection, AI or even the same level of polygonal and texture detail in character models as the final game, so hitting this performance target shouldn't be as much of an issue. A detail I always remember from previews was that AM2 had to create a new compression format just to squeeze all of the Model 2 version's moves onto a system with far less memory overall, which they pushed even further when Fighters Megamix incorporated select commands from VF3 as well. Much like the previous high resolution tech demo of Daytona USA on Saturn, a lot of this prototype's code was the work of lead programmer Keiji Okayasu, who recently made his return to being Yu Suzuki's right hand man for the development of Shenmue III.