Wata grading prototypes

snescentral

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
snescentral.com
Wata is a company that provides grading and authentication services for video game collectors. I have noticed a number of Wata graded prototypes popping up lately. I have written up an article showing how they have absolutely no idea what they are doing when it comes to prototypes.. Do not trust them!

Awbacon

Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Grading in general makes zero sense. Jam it in a plastic box and throw a number on it and magically people think it becomes more valuable?

I can take a shit in a box and stamp a number on it lolol

Reactions: bond.san

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
Grading is just a bunch of shit. It's just a way for "big shot" collectors with more money then brains to wave their dicks at each other.

kabojnk

Insert Title Here
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Feb 3, 2019
Donations
£126.57
How can you grade a prototype? Also, the whole point of grading IMO is to make your item stand out from a bunch of other like items. When dealing with prototypes, there typically arent many original copies, so I just dont see the point at all. Sounds like a company trying to get free money from suckers for a useless service that benefits no one.

snescentral

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
snescentral.com
Wata has reached out to me, and they have admitted they messed up here. However, they have told me they endeavor to improve their authentication methods and will do so with people from the community. I don't think it is a bad idea to authenticate prototypes, and I hope they will take on my suggestions.

hippo

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
assemblergames.com
AGName
tichua
AG Join Date
Feb 5, 2008
They got blasted on social media before for slapping a "Wata Certified" sticker on their "archiving" service. Basically people can submit their protos to Wata to get the item enclosed in acrylic cases. Wata then will put the "Wata Certified" sticker on the case causing confusion about the authenticity of the items.

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
I wish they'd disappear if we ignore them hard enough. It's such nonsense and a disgrace to entomb anything in crappy transparent plastic coffer, it's even worse when it's a loose cart, lol. Hard to fight it when there are people who are happy to do it, in fact I tend to blame customers more than service providers in these cases.

The few sealed games I have are inside a reseleable baggy, the most expensive ones further wrapped in some bubbles, that's already stupid enough.

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
Sounds like "WATA" is really an acronym for "We Are Total Assholes".

Reactions: speedyink

Diablodin

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Donations
£70.00
Yeah, I don't think WATA will ever be able to reach a sensible standard of authenticating prototypes to the extent where they can charge money for a guaranteed result.
Since prototypes is so niche, WATA would need very specialized people to actually provide bulletproof authentication, and then you'll have best luck getting in contact with online communities.
We all know this.. but just in case someone needs to read it.

Great job, SnesCentral! This is but one example, so keep up the good work!

Make a donation