Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
AGName
Buildouttagames
AG Join Date
11/10/2021
eBay Username
Jborrowdale
I have a ps3 test kit I bought from eBay, when I checked system storage it says that 47 out of the 55 GB hard drive is used any idea what could be on it, and no I don’t think the system software is 47 GB Im guessing here might be a build on it.

mementomori

proto person
A9L Staff
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Donations
£7.46
AG Join Date
Jan 22, 2017
First and foremost, stop using the kit and dump the HDD (you can use a SATA to USB cord). The reason you have to stop using it is so that you can salvage deleted data in a more complete state, otherwise the more usage the kit gets, the more likely the data will be overwritten and therefore lost.

Secondly, you can follow this guide to dump the kit, its eid_root_key and extract its contents.

(You may want to use this as a new place to grab REBUG CFW as the guide mentions an old link. READ THE GUIDE FIRST SO YOU KNOW WHICH ONE TO INSTALL! https://archive.midnightchannel.net/SonyPS/Firmware/index.php?cat=rebug&oldmenu=1)

Lastly, you misread the storage: you have 47GB free space out of 55GB, which means if that's the original HDD you are bound to find a lot of deleted data.

Anyways, once you follow these tips feel free to share your findings. 👍

Reactions: Weinflames

buildoutta

Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
AGName
Buildouttagames
AG Join Date
11/10/2021
eBay Username
Jborrowdale
I really don't want to mod my test kit

buildoutta

Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
AGName
Buildouttagames
AG Join Date
11/10/2021
eBay Username
Jborrowdale
You can mod it to dump then just flash back the dex ofw thats what i did. No weird flags or anything you need to change its just to grab the eid root key.
I really don't want to mod my ps3 test kit because im very nitpicky with test kits

Edward_2452

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 29, 2019
AGName
james2452
I really don't want to mod my ps3 test kit because im very nitpicky with test kits
Im the same as you. Its a shame you need to mod it to get the key for the HDD. I made images of all my ps3 kits and there all about 3 - 4gb so there will be nothing on them . One has 37gb of deleted stuff but i have no idea what it is. 😣

buildoutta

Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
AGName
Buildouttagames
AG Join Date
11/10/2021
eBay Username
Jborrowdale
Im the same as you. Its a shame you need to mod it to get the key for the HDD. I made images of all my ps3 kits and there all about 3 - 4gb so there will be nothing on them . One has 37gb of deleted stuff but i have no idea what it is. 😣
Cant i just use the hard drive on a different ps3 phat?

buildoutta

Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
AGName
Buildouttagames
AG Join Date
11/10/2021
eBay Username
Jborrowdale
Who knows, its the same across retail ps3s too if i recall
I understand that to avoid modding but why test kits its not like devs were going to hack their systems

Edward_2452

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 29, 2019
AGName
james2452
Cant i just use the hard drive on a different ps3 phat?
Make a image / backup of the HDD and keep it safe on a hard drive or 2. Maybe one day there will be a way of recovering builds off it with out the key. IDK . I dont know much about how to use them . I do know about Xbox 360 kits.

buildoutta

Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
AGName
Buildouttagames
AG Join Date
11/10/2021
eBay Username
Jborrowdale
Can i replace the hard drive or does that too need a key?

buildoutta

Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
AGName
Buildouttagames
AG Join Date
11/10/2021
eBay Username
Jborrowdale
You can swap a new hard drive in the kit no issue you just need to reinstall the firmware
And how am i meant to get firmware for test kit, normal firmware bricks the system

buildoutta

Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
AGName
Buildouttagames
AG Join Date
11/10/2021
eBay Username
Jborrowdale
Theres a site with an archive with teskit pups. Just google "Dex ofw firmware" and its first one called midnightchannel
I think i might just have my test kit for show or i just get off my ass and get my resistance 3 copy and put it in the disc drive

mementomori

proto person
A9L Staff
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Donations
£7.46
AG Join Date
Jan 22, 2017
The value of your console lies in the data you can recover from it; preserving that data is only going to ruin the console if you can't read the guide and you brick it. As mentioned there is an archive of DEX OFW, it's from the same place the REBUG CFW I linked you. You can take note of the firmware it was on from system settings, and grab that once you're done grabbing the eid_root_key. The process is so straightforward, I can guarantee you nothing will go wrong as long as you follow it to a T.

If you want to just have the test kit for show, so be it. Your console, you do what you want. But just know that you could very well be sitting on valuable data that would be of major benefit for researches, modders and gaming fans alike, and unfortunately, dumping the EID with CFW is the most accessible way to know this for sure after you dump the hard drive. I own a few PS3 kits that had deleted prototypes I was able to recover, I've donated/shared some for release in the past.

I sincerely hope you consider dumping the kit at some point, as even just some closure on whether or not you have data would ease concerns of what the kit's got tucked away. Besides, anyone can find a DECH or DECR unit, many of these have sold, publicly or privately, in the past half a decade. Not everybody can find the same history underneath though.

Apologies for the massive write-up here, you're not in trouble and ultimately it is your decision, but I think you'd be surprised and intrigued by what's been discovered through these dumping methods. Look at the Terareleases here if you want examples 🙂

Reactions: okhi

buildoutta

Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
AGName
Buildouttagames
AG Join Date
11/10/2021
eBay Username
Jborrowdale
I might dump whatever is on the system one day

Reactions: mementomori

okhi

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 22, 2022
AG Join Date
I think i might just have my test kit for show or i just get off my ass and get my resistance 3 copy and put it in the disc drive
I might dump whatever is on the system one day

I think you'll find the possibility of recovering a prototype on your system and maybe being able to play it more gratifying than playing any ordinary game for a couple of hours... You should listen to mementomori, it would best to have closure on this type of thing. "One day" might come and whatever was on there might only be in fragments...

Please consider it, and I think you should check out the OG discord. People would be happy to help you I'm sure :)

Make a donation