Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

What's the recommended temperature for the Xbox 360S XDK?

pato

Original poster
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Long short story: Bought an XDK two weeks ago, after 3 days it wen RRoD and sent it back, got a replacement today.

FSD V1.20 is stating 56.7ºC on GPU and 59.7ºC on CPU after i had the console turned on for like 3 minutes, after copying a Cod 5 1.4 gb alpha the CPU went to 64.2ºC and GPU tp 61.1ºC

EDIT: BRUH

IMG_20190604_231647336.jpg

Last edited:

RtFM

Registered
Jan 26, 2019
AGName
RtFM
AG Join Date
Feb 18, 2017
Your Temperature Spec‘s seem to be quite normal for XDK Slims. You can try to renew the heatsink paste so the temperatures will go down about 5 degrees.

P.S.: Even my Jasper from ‘08 with original thermal grease runs a bit cooler after two hours playing. ;)

Reactions: pato

pato

Original poster
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Your Temperature Spec‘s seem to be quite normal for XDK Slims. You can try to renew the heatsink paste so the temperatures will go down about 5 degrees.

P.S.: Even my Jasper from ‘08 with original thermal grease runs a bit cooler after two hours playing. ;)

I don't know, there's no replacement left, so if this one RRoD i'll pretty much would have the cash back or two RRoD units.

Maybe @STiP0 knows it better?

pato

Original poster
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Replace the thermal paste, as the idle temps shouldn't sit that high unless it's a Xenon. Use Arctic Silver 5 or above, as anything else is not worth the time.

Make sure your fans are spinning at their normal "auto" speed. Someone could have flashed a 10% patch for all you know. I recommend 60% if you don't mind the noise.

Could it be the fact that it was originally from an auction lot mean that the hardware was inactive for months or years, would that have been the reason?

What would be the normal temps for the S, I think its a Trinity by the MFR date, its from aprill 2011, Xenon ones were the launch boards IIRC.

Also, is it dangerous to play in a higher fan speeds since it might take days to this Arctic Silver paste arrive?

pato

Original poster
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
It mostly depends on how that kit was treated when it was being used. The conditions it was in could have dried the paste up into a powder. Devkits are ran for hours if not days at a time in studios, so this is nothing uncommon to see them in horrible shape.

My Jasper runs at 48C after heavy load, just to give you an idea of what proper temps are after thermal paste replacement, and quicker fan speeds. Slims exhaust from the top, from one central area, so they tend to run hotter than a Phat console in general, but you shouldn't be seeing 60s during idle.

I see, the thing is that these units were actually sealed in box (at least what the seller told me) and i've seen them being sold from other sellers around.

In my case, this console is veeeeery quiet, like I almost can't hear it, when I set up to 65% in FSD 3, it greatly reduced the temps to around 45 idle and 49ºC after copying some stuff, could it be that the fan is running lower than expected? Or a bad paste application from the lot?

fate6

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
fate6
AG Join Date
May 15, 2013
Plus there is no such thing as a "sealed" XDK since they all come in just a box without any shrink wrap.

Reactions: STiP0 and pato

pato

Original poster
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Plus there is no such thing as a "sealed" XDK since they all come in just a box without any shrink wrap.

Ehhh, they come with that small seal on the front indicating what's in the box, plus there's the packaging inside

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
I see, the thing is that these units were actually sealed in box (at least what the seller told me) and i've seen them being sold from other sellers around.

In my case, this console is veeeeery quiet, like I almost can't hear it, when I set up to 65% in FSD 3, it greatly reduced the temps to around 45 idle and 49ºC after copying some stuff, could it be that the fan is running lower than expected? Or a bad paste application from the lot?

That sounds like the default fan profile - on the slims, there is heavy bias towards keeping the noise level down at the cost of higher operating temperatures. The fact that increasing the fan speed causes a significant reduction in temperature also indicates that the thermal interface between the XCGPU and the heatsink is working OK. The symptoms of bad thermal paste are quite specific - the system is running hot, the fans are at high speed, but it's blowing cool air. Sure, you can replace the thermal paste, but from what you are saying it doesn't sound like it's necessary.

pato

Original poster
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Ah you mean sealed as in the security sticker? XDK's never came shrink wrapped. They were in a box with a plastic wrapping and a piece of tape. (Some units even skipped out on that.)

Yes, a piece of tape, but the dude cut them to open and test (don't ask me why, all he did was to won the auction lot and made a video opening it).

Could it be that either it was retaped by someone at microsoft or the kits were sitting around, but the first i've received didn't have the warranty seal while the second has it.

That sounds like the default fan profile - on the slims, there is heavy bias towards keeping the noise level down at the cost of higher operating temperatures. The fact that increasing the fan speed causes a significant reduction in temperature also indicates that the thermal interface between the XCGPU and the heatsink is working OK. The symptoms of bad thermal paste are quite specific - the system is running hot, the fans are at high speed, but it's blowing cool air. Sure, you can replace the thermal paste, but from what you are saying it doesn't sound like it's necessary.

Well i've already bought it, and the isopropyl alcohol too, but IMO it's quite too high, and maybe it might be a great idea, no wonder why consoles nowadays get unreliable after years compared to 128 bits and older ones, owners aren't expected to replace the paste even if its years after the warranty has ended.

Last edited:
Reactions: STiP0

RtFM

Registered
Jan 26, 2019
AGName
RtFM
AG Join Date
Feb 18, 2017
I don't know, there's no replacement left, so if this one RRoD i'll pretty much would have the cash back or two RRoD units.

Maybe @STiP0 knows it better?

Just for your info. Coronas tend to have cold solder joints and/or bad smd resistors near the XCGPU.

Please watch the video below for a fix.

That your first corona xdk has broken could exactly be that issue. As there were bad batches manufactured by MS.

pato

Original poster
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Just for your info. Coronas tend to have cold solder joints and/or bad smd resistors near the XCGPU.

Please watch the video below for a fix.

That your first corona xdk has broken could exactly be that issue. As there were bad batches manufactured by MS.

Its a Trinity as it was made in april 2011, few months before the Corona.

However, there was also artifacts in the TV after i've turned on and couldn't even go to the retail dash as it would be stuck, so it was indeed screwed, I believe that if it was a false alarm it wouldn't get that worse.

Edward_2452

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 29, 2019
AGName
james2452
My xdk slim does not like FSD and can crash . Some reason i can not take screenshots with FSD. I deleted it.

pato

Original poster
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
@STiP0 replaced the paste and nothing, it looks even worse actually according to FSD, the cpu hit 71ºC.

pato

Original poster
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Welp, reviving this thread, screwed up the replacement xbox by opening the IHS (damaged the resistors) and bought back the RROD for a cheap price and reballed it (still less than the original price), according to the person, it is indeed roughly at that temperature, and that the fact that it has an additional smalller board (the Sidecar one) and the SoC design contributes to to a higher temperature than the Fat ones.

He also told me two things

1) He also reballed with Lead spheres to enhance the durability. Consoles after the 128 bit generation are prone to have issues with the CPU and/or GPU due to the fact that EU banned Lead soldered manufactured components before the arrival of the next one. The Lead Free soldering is less reliable and prone to issues over the time, and it was one of the causes of the 3RL problem back in the day.

2) Trinity consoles in his experience are the ones to be prone with RRod issues in the Slim era.

Make a donation