Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Where do you keep your rare/expensive games?

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I've been pondering this and I figured I'd continue my streak of most prolific thread starter on this site.

I have a few Saturn games I bought pretty cheaply 10 years ago that are sky rocketing now, Plus some sought after Dreamcast and PS2 and of course, 360 shmups, one of which is Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets in near mint condition. I'm thinking about getting a lockbox for them, as they're just sitting on an unstable shelf in a media cabinet that's been falling apart since I got it.

Do you guys lock box or do you have special display cases/something else?

MrPinball64

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jan 13, 2020
Donations
£25.00
Personally I keep mine in organized boxes, and put those boxes into a locked safe.

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
don't near any fire system ~
coz I put in safe room it have fire water system , one day it pump water ( of coz no fire here)
only 5min water..... I lost alot Japan game card , PC game , rare press stuff and book's :(

PS: luck all dev stuff in office .....

wheelaa

Marty fan
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
wheelaa
AG Join Date
12 April 2005
That sucks, hope you had insurance at least. Not that that makes up for the loss...

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
I keep mine in the deep freeze. Keeps everything mint and crispy.

Otherwise, I keep some in a glass case, with very low contact to any sunlight(zero direct contact). Rest is in dark places like cupboards and drawers.

Druid II

Registered
Jun 5, 2019
I preserve them in a jar of vinegar, sitting on the mantel above the fireplace of my summer home. As I am drinking a bottle of 1960 chateau d'yquem, I occasionally look at them, and smile.

• Haha
Reactions: XBOX and Tongara

Tongara

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
I preserve them in a jar of vinegar, sitting on the mantel above the fireplace of my summer home. As I am drinking a bottle of 1960 chateau d'yquem, I occasionally look at them, and smile.
I like that.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I keep mine in a vault deep underground, behind 6 feet of reinforced steel and protected by laser kittens that'll attack you if you try to enter the vault without my permission.

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
I keep mine in a vault deep underground, behind 6 feet of reinforced steel and protected by laser kittens that'll attack you if you try to enter the vault without my permission.
I find that very hard to believe. Trained kittens, really?

D

Deleted member 274

I personally keep things organized in Pelican Cases that I then store in large steel studio crates, I get mine from disney or universal. These are stored in a controlled climate environment, with a dehumidifier and ambient temps at about 72' year round. The items I have on display I keep in low uv light, as uv can be damaging to many materials, in the displays I put those silicon moisture absorbing packets along the bottom where they cant be seen to mitigate humidity, they are kept out of direct sunlight and in their own shadow boxes. Some more special items I make lexen/polycarbonate display cases for and pull a very light vacuum on before sealing inside. This keeps it airtight, dustproof, moisture resistant and all that, sort of like how they make coin holders when you send them off to be graded they just thermally fuze the material. Pro tip, if an item has batteries remove them and store separately in process of doing so its good practice to clean the items inside and out and to clean the boards "how you'd clean them depends on the material composition" and storing items after thorough cleaning helps to ensure its longevity, it also makes for good displaying.

This just personal preferences though.
-Jeff

Reactions: Freakler
D

Deleted member 274

Also I forgot to mention too, some of my consoles I display in modified 42u Server cabinets "believe me they have excellent display potential" the ones with the glass fronts on the cabinets are very nice, you can use low uv leds to highlight displayed contents. You can pick up used cabinets cheap if need be, and the shelves are made to carry quite a lot of weight and are not too expensive, also if its something you use you can use it in the case and remove heat easily if you install some fans in the cabinet. I do this with some of my prototype systems, and DECR-1000a Reference tools "since they are rack mountable". A good server cabinet is built like a tank so you wouldn't have to worry about stability as the typical construction of these comprises of some pretty solid steel or aluminum, you can put filers on them as well if dust is a concern. I even tint the front panels of mine to cut down on outside light entering the systems which helps, you can still see inside with the leds on. Just a thought, server cabinets are excellent display cabinets.

-Jeff

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
Cardboard boxes in my wardrobe. I'm not very paranoid about anything replaceable.

WorldGenesis

:D
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Donations
£7.40
AGName
WorldGenesis
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
On the floor with no case, read side down next to the bathroom. :ROFLMAO:

Nah, just kidding, in a cardboard box/original casing in my entertainment center. :p

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I find that very hard to believe. Trained kittens, really?

Oh yeah, what are you gonna do? Release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark they shoot bees at you?

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
In all seriousness, I don't keep my more valuable games anywhere special - I just put them on my shelves and in storage containers with all of my other games. I do keep Radiant Silvergun in a resealable plastic sleeve, just to reduce wear and tear when I take it off of the shelf and then put it back. I've thought about doing the same with Ikaruga and maybe a few others, but I'm actually kind of reluctant to even do that, since it makes playing those games more inconvenient. I collect games to play them - I tend to prefer convenience over any other concerns.

Awbacon

Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Anywhere I can find space to stash them lol

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
In all seriousness, I don't keep my more valuable games anywhere special - I just put them on my shelves and in storage containers with all of my other games. I do keep Radiant Silvergun in a resealable plastic sleeve, just to reduce wear and tear when I take it off of the shelf and then put it back. I've thought about doing the same with Ikaruga and maybe a few others, but I'm actually kind of reluctant to even do that, since it makes playing those games more inconvenient. I collect games to play them - I tend to prefer convenience over any other concerns.

There does need to be a mix between being able to play said game, and keeping it safe because it's a fortune if anything happens to it.

Make a donation