• We have added an "AG" Registration date/Username profile option. If you add this upon signup we'll be able to verify faster thanks. (If already joined you can edit under profile settings.)

If you had an account on OG1 you will need to re-register as this is a new start for all.

Where will the ASSEMblerGames archive be hosted?

MgG5.png

With ASSEMblerGames.com going down at the end of the month one of our moves has been building OG, along wth a static archive of the site, we've released a few different types of backups so far, along with others by Nemesis/more to come by archive.org etc.

What have we done so far? We've bought assemblergames.net in auction, along with https://www.assembler-games.com/ the .com being the main site to host the archive.

Alpha wrote a custom Python script to crawl the site and populate a database which'll be hosted on A-G.com once the site goes done. Akira has been writing a front end for it based on the style AG is using currently.

We'll post more as always, just a minor update to the things going on.

We also have new stuff coming shortly, so keep an eye out OG :)

Ps, We've added an option here: https://www.obscuregamers.com/account/account-details to add your original AG username and join date, copy from your profile and it'll display in your posts/profile :)

Damien
Just a few pics of what we have working so far thanks to Akira. :D

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

Logins won't be a thing, but we've made the forum look as original as possible, avartars won't be there and will show default. Same as member profiles we don't need these as our focus is to show the posts/threads in original format.

This should be finished over the coming couple of days, paginav/thread urls work already and in original url format as ASSEMbler used meaning if you have a bookmark just adding - between assembler-games will be enough to view a topic.

Just a few pics of what we have working so far thanks to Akira. :D

View attachment 412
View attachment 411
View attachment 410
View attachment 409

Logins won't be a thing, but we've made the forum look as original as possible, avartars won't be there and will show default. Same as member profiles we don't need these as our focus is to show the posts/threads in original format.

This should be finished over the coming couple of days, paginav/thread urls work already and in original url format as ASSEMbler used meaning if you have a bookmark just adding - between assembler-games will be enough to view a topic.
Why no avatars? I find those quite practical to rapidly scan for a particular reply.

Why no avatars? I find those quite practical to rapidly scan for a particular reply.
More coding, although we can add it later on still. we're just trying to push this out fast as possible while working as simple as possible.

Here's a quick preview we made running from the custom database/frontend.

More coding, although we can add it later on still. we're just trying to push this out fast as possible while working as simple as possible.
Fair enough for me. Though I think it's worth implementing eventually.

Are the external images hosted on the backup too?

They will be yes, we had a few issues with renamed files in the HTTRACK, but the original names are in the WGET's so we should be good there. All hardlinked AG.com links will be edited to A-G.com etc and the files put over :) just spent a few hours scanning for bits we may have missed, and found about 800MB of press stuff not mentioned on site anymore but still on the server.

I had made this suggestion already. Would it be possible to change the names of those who are still active here? Example: I used to go by "sonicdude10" before I took this name on. Might make it easier to cross reference original posts with still active members.

I had made this suggestion already. Would it be possible to change the names of those who are still active here? Example: I used to go by "sonicdude10" before I took this name on. Might make it easier to cross reference original posts with still active members.
This shouldn't be hard to do, the names are pulled from database so we could leave the original name and (Chaotic Mind) in brackets next to the original name.

Thank you for your suggestions, will work on them all once we're closer to launching the site.

Here's a quick preview we made running from the custom database/frontend.

Adding the avatars isn't an issue code wise, i can add implement that no problem. It's more of a data issue, i'd need all the avatar files and preferably in a formatted naming convention.

For example
{{userid}}.jpg or {{username}}.jpg