Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Which Redhat ISO for PS2 development.

Neo-Eyes Gameboy-Geek

Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
I was wandering around the legacy Redhat site trying to find which iso is the one that's reccomended by the ps2sdk (official documentation reccomends 7.1 or some such when I put the pdfs onto a windows machine) as I am having difficulty navigating the file structure to find the exact iso file I need for installing the reccomended red hat version. Thankyou in advance if anyone can point me in the right direction or to the correct files, documentation is hard to come by.

water111

Jun 2, 2019
Here is 7.1 ftp://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/iso/i386/ but I wouldn't recommend it.

Developers used different versions of Linux, as the official SDK doesn't rely on anything very special. The SDK tools will even work on many modern Linux distributions, but if you want to have something that's like what was used at the time, I would recommend something like Fedora Core 4 (get the DVD ISO from here https://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/iso/). Anything much older than this will start to be a pain for setting up software. Fedora is basically the same thing as red hat (see https://danielmiessler.com/study/fedora_redhat_centos/), and this version is from around 2005.

uyjulian

Registered
May 30, 2019
Floppy images are here: ftp://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/os/i386/images/

PS2 TOOL used Red Hat Linux 5.2 and 6.2. You don't need to download the ISO; simply download the floppy image, write it to a floppy, then boot from it. You need the boot and supplemental floppies in order to install from FTP.

Note: Red Hat Linux 5.2 will fail to boot if you have more than 1008MB of memory installed. In that case, use the following parameter: linux mem=1008M expert

Neo-Eyes Gameboy-Geek

Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
Floppy images are here: ftp://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/os/i386/images/

PS2 TOOL used Red Hat Linux 5.2 and 6.2. You don't need to download the ISO; simply download the floppy image, write it to a floppy, then boot from it. You need the boot and supplemental floppies in order to install from FTP.

Note: Red Hat Linux 5.2 will fail to boot if you have more than 1008MB of memory installed. In that case, use the following parameter: linux mem=1008M expert
Not entirely sure what you mean regarding needing to boot from and supplemental floppy discs but I appreciate the link to the install discs to the old distro.

Edit: Or I suppose it might be more accurate to say I'm a little tired after work and misinterpreting what you are saying.

Neo-Eyes Gameboy-Geek

Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
Here is 7.1 ftp://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/iso/i386/ but I wouldn't recommend it.

Developers used different versions of Linux, as the official SDK doesn't rely on anything very special. The SDK tools will even work on many modern Linux distributions, but if you want to have something that's like what was used at the time, I would recommend something like Fedora Core 4 (get the DVD ISO from here https://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/iso/). Anything much older than this will start to be a pain for setting up software. Fedora is basically the same thing as red hat (see https://danielmiessler.com/study/fedora_redhat_centos/), and this version is from around 2005.
I had heard that fedora more or less absorbed Redhat after a spell , and if this works for a development system as well as whatever is listed in the documents and it's less archaic and painful to install consider me not only happy but impressed. Thankyou

uyjulian

Registered
May 30, 2019
Not entirely sure what you mean regarding needing to boot from and supplemental floppy discs but I appreciate the link to the install discs to the old distro.

Edit: Or I suppose it might be more accurate to say I'm a little tired after work and misinterpreting what you are saying.
You can boot from the floppy disc (boot.img), go through the installer until it tells you to swap to the supplemental floppy (bootnet.img) and install from the network without needing to burn a CD.

README for installation is here: ftp://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/os/i386/README

I don't recommend using Fedora, as it has bleeding-edge features and may not be stable.

Neo-Eyes Gameboy-Geek

Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
You can boot from the floppy disc (boot.img), go through the installer until it tells you to swap to the supplemental floppy (bootnet.img) and install from the network without needing to burn a CD.

README for installation is here: ftp://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/os/i386/README

I don't recommend using Fedora, as it has bleeding-edge features and may not be stable.
Well I was planning on running it all in a VM anyway just to sidestep risks of broken old hardware so no reason not to give them a go.

uyjulian

Registered
May 30, 2019
Just since I am running this all in a VM anyway which of these iso's do I need (just asking since several are marked as disk 1 and disk 2) thankyou for all your help
ftp://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/iso/i386/seawolf-i386-disc1.iso
ftp://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/iso/i386/seawolf-i386-disc2.iso

You don't need to use the ISOs, as you can just install from the network using the "bootnet.img" disk. Using the ISOs will waste your bandwidth, since you don't need to install all the packages.

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
i know this is an old thread, but i have the opportunity to buy a tool ps2 dtl-t10000 and the only down side is the HDD's inside are toast. does anybody know where i can find a HDD image to place on a new HDD? i would like to get this system but i would like it to be more than just a display piece.

thanks
Aidan

uyjulian

Registered
May 30, 2019
By the way, the contents of the two HDDs are identical.

Only the one connected to the single board computer (e.g. the one that has a PS/2 keyboard connector on it) is important. The machine will function without the HDD connected to the PCMCIA interface board, since it is unused.

Reactions: pool7

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
Ok, I was planning on getting a cf adaptor so I dont have to deal with a old ide drive

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
CF adapter is cool , save power, save heat, and HDD sound

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
And last alot longer. The guy I'm buying from sent me a link for the hdd image after I posted this so I managed to get the files, i just dont know when i get the system how to put it to a cf card. It's a zipped .gs file.

Make a donation