Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
Google and YouTube told me such a thing doesn't exist.

Maybe someone knows better?

I'd love to see a video or screenshot comparison of both versions. I also find it strange that a N64 game was ported to PS2. What other games did that?

Also, why are there English subs in one of the box screenshots? So far I'm playing through the game and it's all in Japanese.

Awbacon

Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Oh man box art shots back in the day were a crapshoot. One of my favorite games (Killing Time, on 3DO and PC) has the weirdest screenshots.

Enemies that don’t exist in the areas the screenshots are from / the pc big box has screenshots from the 3DO version, which is wildly different.

Back then they just slapped stuff on a box and sent it out the door. Someone probably worked a bit on a English version and thought “hey I like this screenshot, let’s use it” anyway

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Well, you could probably find videos of each version and compare them yourself.

As far as N64 games that were ported to the PS2, I don't know of any other games that were only on the N64 and PS2 - but Rayman 2 was on the N64, and was ported to a lot of different platforms, including the PS2. Tony Hawk 3 was on both the N64 and the PS2, but in that case it was ported from PS2 to N64 rather than the other way around. I can't think of any other examples.

cez

Jul 23, 2019
AGName
cez
AG Join Date
Apr. 4, 2007
Also, why are there English subs in one of the box screenshots? So far I'm playing through the game and it's all in Japanese.

The official website for the PS2 version advertises both Japanese and English voice and subtitles: https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/products/products/ee/new/winback/ps2/wbps2index.html

Edit: You're supposed to be able to change the language by going to "メッセージ" in the main menu.

See here (scan of the manual): https://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/1c/ee/e9e7b884f90f6079c59b04a029fed5a4.jpg

Last edited:

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
ohhh my my my
lucky im only starting the 2nd part of the 1st mission
let me change that into english

i had a feeling it was in the options but didn't care to look for it
if there's one thing i love curse of darkness and lament of innocence for, is that the japanese version is jpn/eng :)

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
This game is absurdly dark when you're inside buildings. I had to crank up the brightness to 100 on my TV to be able to see something. I can't believe this was considered OK for the devs/testers!

Anyway, I gave up near the end of the game, as it gets ridiculously hard with sections that require super precise movement and placement (which is almost impossible given how clunky the character is), and also require constant aiming at far away enemies, and the aiming is so bad it loses aim between shots and reloads, and even moves your character out of hiding randomly, leaving him an instant chicken target.

Not to mention how unbalanced the progression is, with some levels being a single room that takes 5 minutes to clear, and other levels being 15 rooms with multiple backtracking, respawning enemies in different locations and flavours, and of course you can only save at the end of each level. Checkpoints inside levels are only valid during a play session, so you can only rely on those temporarily.

Well, at least the Japanese version does indeed come with full English support for voice, menu text and subtitles.

But let's mention the story, which is boring at best, but gets in the way of action all the time, with pointless cutscenes making you grow milk in your breasts even you're a man, and you can't (always) skip them. I found that some cutscenes, like entering a room and seeing an overview of enemies, can be skipped, but cutscenes where characters speak cannnot be skipped. Why?

And I don't know about the Japanese voice/text, but English is embarrassing to say the least. They all speak slowly like trying to make themselves clear to a severely mentally handicapped gorilla, and the way they speak is 100% off from the actual situations, like it's a romantic B movie done with 1,000$ budget (food catering included). It made the game SO MUCH MORE painful to play through that it already was.

Check this cutscene

Bosses are ridiculously generic, most of them have a single pattern of moving and attacking. There's gun guy, shotgun guy, gun woman, rocket launcher fat guy and a bunch of others memorable guys. Haven't made it to the final boss but he's a just a sunglasses guy with, let me guess, a machine gun or something. Or maybe there's like a huge surprise and a Metal Gear will show up and you will fight half naked on it... oh no, can't be that good.

Music is like TWO shorts songs, the outdoor song and the indoor song, and when you lose enough health, here comes the LOW HEALTH song that overrides any other song as long as you don't pick up a health bonus that restores enough health.
Oh there's also a THIRD song in the super secret base, it's some kind of organ church thing that feels a million miles off from the location and feeling of the game, and it sounds like the beginning of Simon's Theme in Super Castlevania IV. What can I say.

Sound effects are THREE vocalisations of enemies getting hit, played randomly when hitting them, footsteps and gun sounds. OK. Maybe I heard a helicopter sound, it woke me up, it was so different. Oh and don't forget the semi invisible ninja gun guy who keeps laughing during the boss fight. My wife almost asked me to divorce. Check it out. Having the same exact laugh every time is stupid, and it's annoying, and it fails being evil-scary like --I suppose-- it was meant to be. Maybe not, maybe it's some kind of Japanese ninja humour (the devs is Omega Force... known for all the Shin Sangoku Musou... oh my...).

The options menu is full of useless stuff, like they spent more time on the menu than on teaching the voice talents to speak properly. You can see all the NPC and weapons and items, and most of them don't do anything, you click on them it makes nothing, they just spent time modeling them, I guess to justify some extra bonus at the end of the month. Yeah maybe I'm being harsh on this one.

I felt bad playing through this, like I was dancing naked on my balcony and all the neighbours and passerbies saw me and took photos and videos.

Maybe one day if I'm drunk enough, or if someone points a gun to my genitals, I will go back and try to finish the game, I sort of want to know how NOT good the ending is, how unexciting the dialog will keep on being, and how many times I can die in 5 minutes while trying to take down 3 shotgun guys down a hallway where there's no hiding spot.

Because you need to know the main point of this game: YOU CAN'T FIRE YOUR GUN WHILE MOVING. This is sort of Time Crisis, but that was a rail shooter, it made sense, and there was a lot of moving anyway. This thing, you're moving all the time but must always stop and hide to shoot. It's frustrating and at this point I've grown full breasts from bodily frustration, and they are full of adrenalinised milk.

And the playable character is called JEAN-LUC, which is French, and they speak his name ten thousand billion times in the cutscenes. AND EACH AND EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY PRONUNCE IT "JON LOOOC" à la English. I will be frank, it is the most frustrating thing I have ever experienced in a game so far. It made all the other flaws bearable, even the laughing ninja. I am still having nightmares about JON LOOOC.

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Lucky I had a Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit II disc sitting next to WinBack. Felt much better playing that. A really outstanding racing game!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pato

pato

Registered
Jan 20, 2019
This game is absurdly dark when you're inside buildings. I had to crank up the brightness to 100 on my TV to be able to see something. I can't believe this was considered OK for the devs/testers!

Anyway, I gave up near the end of the game, as it gets ridiculously hard with sections that require super precise movement and placement (which is almost impossible given how clunky the character is), and also require constant aiming at far away enemies, and the aiming is so bad it loses aim between shots and reloads, and even moves your character out of hiding randomly, leaving him an instant chicken target.

Not to mention how unbalanced the progression is, with some levels being a single room that takes 5 minutes to clear, and other levels being 15 rooms with multiple backtracking, respawning enemies in different locations and flavours, and of course you can only save at the end of each level. Checkpoints inside levels are only valid during a play session, so you can only rely on those temporarily.

Well, at least the Japanese version does indeed come with full English support for voice, menu text and subtitles.

But let's mention the story, which is boring at best, but gets in the way of action all the time, with pointless cutscenes making you grow milk in your breasts even you're a man, and you can't (always) skip them. I found that some cutscenes, like entering a room and seeing an overview of enemies, can be skipped, but cutscenes where characters speak cannnot be skipped. Why?

And I don't know about the Japanese voice/text, but English is embarrassing to say the least. They all speak slowly like trying to make themselves clear to a severely mentally handicapped gorilla, and the way they speak is 100% off from the actual situations, like it's a romantic B movie done with 1,000$ budget (food catering included). It made the game SO MUCH MORE painful to play through that it already was.

Check this cutscene

Bosses are ridiculously generic, most of them have a single pattern of moving and attacking. There's gun guy, shotgun guy, gun woman, rocket launcher fat guy and a bunch of others memorable guys. Haven't made it to the final boss but he's a just a sunglasses guy with, let me guess, a machine gun or something. Or maybe there's like a huge surprise and a Metal Gear will show up and you will fight half naked on it... oh no, can't be that good.

Music is like TWO shorts songs, the outdoor song and the indoor song, and when you lose enough health, here comes the LOW HEALTH song that overrides any other song as long as you don't pick up a health bonus that restores enough health.
Oh there's also a THIRD song in the super secret base, it's some kind of organ church thing that feels a million miles off from the location and feeling of the game, and it sounds like the beginning of Simon's Theme in Super Castlevania IV. What can I say.

Sound effects are THREE vocalisations of enemies getting hit, played randomly when hitting them, footsteps and gun sounds. OK. Maybe I heard a helicopter sound, it woke me up, it was so different. Oh and don't forget the semi invisible ninja gun guy who keeps laughing during the boss fight. My wife almost asked me to divorce. Check it out. Having the same exact laugh every time is stupid, and it's annoying, and it fails being evil-scary like --I suppose-- it was meant to be. Maybe not, maybe it's some kind of Japanese ninja humour (the devs is Omega Force... known for all the Shin Sangoku Musou... oh my...).

The options menu is full of useless stuff, like they spent more time on the menu than on teaching the voice talents to speak properly. You can see all the NPC and weapons and items, and most of them don't do anything, you click on them it makes nothing, they just spent time modeling them, I guess to justify some extra bonus at the end of the month. Yeah maybe I'm being harsh on this one.

I felt bad playing through this, like I was dancing naked on my balcony and all the neighbours and passerbies saw me and took photos and videos.

Maybe one day if I'm drunk enough, or if someone points a gun to my genitals, I will go back and try to finish the game, I sort of want to know how NOT good the ending is, how unexciting the dialog will keep on being, and how many times I can die in 5 minutes while trying to take down 3 shotgun guys down a hallway where there's no hiding spot.

Because you need to know the main point of this game: YOU CAN'T FIRE YOUR GUN WHILE MOVING. This is sort of Time Crisis, but that was a rail shooter, it made sense, and there was a lot of moving anyway. This thing, you're moving all the time but must always stop and hide to shoot. It's frustrating and at this point I've grown full breasts from bodily frustration, and they are full of adrenalinised milk.

And the playable character is called JEAN-LUC, which is French, and they speak his name ten thousand billion times in the cutscenes. AND EACH AND EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY PRONUNCE IT "JON LOOOC" à la English. I will be frank, it is the most frustrating thing I have ever experienced in a game so far. It made all the other flaws bearable, even the laughing ninja. I am still having nightmares about JON LOOOC.

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Lucky I had a Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit II disc sitting next to WinBack. Felt much better playing that. A really outstanding racing game!

Ah the good old ultra low budget japanese games that goes to the western market, with their lovely voice acting made by random english speaking people who were living in Japan and the story made in two Microsoft Word pages.

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
Sounds like biohazard yeah, but at least capcom got the actual gameplay right, or almost :sneaky:

Make a donation