Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
We have found how to make tracks work in Wince, only for those games that give problems in their reproduction of tracks (at the moment only Nightmare Creatures 2 has been tested in Dmul and GDEMU and the tracks are played correctly)

In ip.bin hacked with binhack, go to this offset
Captura de pantalla (10).png

Substitute those 2 values for 0900 and save.

Mount your iso and the tracks will play correctly

Tested games
Nightmare Creatures 2 (Demul and Gdemu and CD) Working
Bust and Move 4 Working
Midway Greatest Arcade Hits 2 Working
Worms Armagedón Working
Spirits of Speed 1937 Working (Although the gdi does not load tracks in the race, but it does in menus)
Rainbow Six US NTSC Working (If you substitute in the Pal version 0winceos by the one of the Us ntsc version, cdda will also work in the Pal version)
Kiss Psyco Circus Working

Armada hack resume cdda
File "Armada.exe"
Offset
0x1A348 change to 0900
0x1A360 change to 0900
1A540 change to 7F70

Last edited:

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
Yes, I know that the ip.bin's RAM starts at 8C008000, but from 8C000000 to the position where the ip.bin starts, there is track access data like lba and others.
So it seems strange to me that this pointer is found 23 times, like 23 tracks that the game has.

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
Bincon is a program used to hack wince and ip.bin binaries, this has been used for a lifetime :)

Reactions: NeoSnk and fafadou

fafadou

Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
Yes if you Can rebuild of hack the gdi is a huge thing you just find :)

Reactions: Pitito

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
I'm not sure I'm following your steps completely...

You need to run binhack on the ip.bin to have a working selfboot don't you?

I know that the original binhack doesn't actually touch WinCE binaries, but the bootsector has to be injected with at least the mil-cd bootstrap and size of the bootbin, no?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitito

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
Binhack I have not used it, since 0winceos is not controlled by lba
Only by placing the lba + 150 in the TOC the game works smoothly

If you use binhack, it also deletes necessary data in ip.bin in addition to deleting the logo

I encourage you to try it, and you will see that it works, if you want I can send you a private iso created with this method.

I do not know if I can post isos here, if a mod give me permission I will post it :)

I have tried two games, one is the Nightmare Ceatures and it boots perfectly, in addition to its tracks working perfectly.

I have also tested with the Sega Rally 2, this boots perfectly, but still does not work the tracks.
This type of games in which the tracks do not work at all, must also have some protection by lba or something else of the style
As I explain in the main post, these games have a BGM menu that is linked to the tracks

@FamilyGuy
I have not tested it in console, but in dmul emulator with bios 1.01d it works.
So I don't think there are any problems on the console

Last edited:

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
according to el bucanero dc rip database sega rally 2 needs dahack. so there must be lba protected files exept 0WINSEOS

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
according to el bucanero dc rip database sega rally 2 needs dahack. so there must be lba protected files exept 0WINSEOS
Dahack is for fixing some audio track issues.

I'm still skeptical a backup would run without the mil-cd bootstrap...

Reactions: truemaster

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
i had created before some years ago a pal cdi of quake3 arena a cdda game using the information from el bucanero. exept its 1stbin it nedded dahack to other files to even boot. and a utility caled cdda i think for cdda audio (from what i remember its been a long)

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
i had created before some years ago a pal cdi of quake3 arena a cdda game using the information from el bucanero. exept its 1stbin it nedded dahack to other files to even boot. and a utility caled cdda i think for cdda audio (from what i remember its been a long)
If I'm not mistaken, dahack is basically just replacing 45166 references to LBA+166 and 45150 to 0+150, it's hack1 for LBA and hack2 for 0. It can be required for a backup with digital audio (hence DAhack) to boot at all.

CDDA hack is a completely different beast, I think it removes the requirement for the three audio padding tracks, among other things. I'm not sure how it actually works.

See my attempt at documenting those hacks here.

Last edited:
Reactions: truemaster

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
@FamilyGuy As soon as I get home I pass you the Nightmare Creatures 2 made with this method.

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Dahack is for fixing some audio track issues.

I'm still skeptical a backup would run without the mil-cd bootstrap...

"MIL-CD bootstrap" is just performing scramble in memory (so the bin doesn't need to be scrambled on the disc) and GD-ROM unlock. Scrambling the binary beforehand solves the scramble in memory part. I don't know how it'd get around the GD-ROM unlock part, though, unless WinCE itself does this or something...

Reactions: FamilyGuy

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
"MIL-CD bootstrap" is just performing scramble in memory (so the bin doesn't need to be scrambled on the disc) and GD-ROM unlock. Scrambling the binary beforehand solves the scramble in memory part. I don't know how it'd get around the GD-ROM unlock part, though, unless WinCE itself does this or something...
Yeah, I figured that's why he was scrambling the binary, because the equivalent operation isn't in a vanilla bootsector. But I can't see how it could unlock the drive... Unless there's an even worse security flaw than we though, specifically for WinCE games?

Probably it's just the emulator being less strict than real hardware on that front.

For what it's worth, binhack32/64 will not touch a WinCE binary but it will still generate a bootsector with scrambling, GD-ROM unlock bootstraps, and IIRC correct WinCE flag.

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Oh, I didn't catch the part about running this on Demul.

Yeah, I agree that I really doubt this will work on a real console. It's just likely that Demul doesn't emulate the GD-ROM lock.

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
@FamilyGuy I'm already uploading the iso. I will send you a private soon.

It may not work on real console, but it is a start, and ip.bin could be hacked keeping all the original information.
In this way, Wince + CDDA could be executed correctly, except in cases such as Sega Rally 2 that need something else to hack.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
I'm already uploading the iso. I will send you a private soon.
Sorry I really have no time to test this. Keep me updated though.

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
OK Do not worry
If there is someone interested in testing it, send me a private :)

Make a donation