WTB: Prerelease builds of Soul Reaver, Blood Omen, Akuji, other 90s/2000s Crystal Dynamics titles

I'm part of a group effort to research and reverse-engineer a number of late-90s/early-2000s Crystal Dynamics titles. The focus is on Soul Reaver specifically, because that was what got the project going in the first place, but has expanded to other titles from that series (including Blood Omen, Blood Omen 2, and Defiance), as well as other games built using the same engines. We're intentionally not looking into the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games even though they use a descendent of the Gex engine, because those are well-covered by fans of that series, but will be happy if our work benefits those fans in some way.

We've managed to obtain a number of prerelease builds, but still have a long way to go. Disc condition is not a concern as long as we can access the data. Builds for any platform/region are of interest, as long as we don't already have them. Incomplete builds may also be of interest, although if it's on an official demo disc, we most likely already have it.

I'm prepared to offer up to US$1000 for builds of Soul Reaver from February 1999 or earlier, as long as the seller has solid feeback/references or equivalent. I certainly won't compain if someone wants to sell one to me for less than that in support of our work :). Prices for other builds/games are going to vary based on how different it is from what we already have, how complete the game is, and how much we're interested in that title/series/game engine.

Aside from Soul Reaver, we're specifically looking for prerelease builds of the following games. Feel free to surprise me with something that's not on this list.

Games built using the Gex engine
-------------------------------------

Akuji: The Heartless
Gex: Enter the Gecko
Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Soul Reaver 2
Walt Disney World Magical Racing Tour

Games built using the Mad Dash Racing engine
----------------------------------------------------

Blood Omen 2
Mad Dash Racing
Whiplash

Other/One-Off
----------------

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Pandemonium and Pandemonium 2
The Unholy War

The first product of this research is the newly-released version 1.8 of Soul Spiral, which adds full support for unpacking the following titles:

- Akuji: the Heartless
- Gex: Enter the Gecko
- Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
- Walt Disney World Magical Racing Tour

All compressed content should be decompressed correctly, and all filename hashes are recognized in all versions of those games which we've managed to obtain.

It also has:

- Nearly-complete support for the early "lighthouse demo" versions of Soul Reaver (which uses the same file compression as those other four games) - a few filenames are still unrecognized, but all content can be unpacked.
- Complete support for nearly every version of Soul Reaver and Blood Omen.
- Support for most of the data files from Mad Dash Racing and Blood Omen 2 (except the GameCube version).
- Improved filename lookups for virtually every supported title.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

I know that all of us involved hope it's useful to others, and illustrates that the things we're looking for are in support of a reasonably good cause.

Last edited: