Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
I watched a video on YouTube, where a guy tried to make the "Ultimate Xbox 360", and was woefully disappointed. Basically, he attached an HD-DVD player through USB, out in a larger HDD, and called it a day. But it got me thinking, is it possible to install the HD-DVD player internally? I hear it couldn't play games, only movies but that's fine with me.

Dans34

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 19, 2019
Donations
£5.00
AGName
Dans87
AG Join Date
Jan 6, 2013
prom what I remember the drive has the same mounting posts and the actual internal drives , so I bet the idea was atleast discussed at MS at somepoint

ShakeMadMan

Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
suprashake
AG Join Date
1-11-2015
modding is needed. just so happeneds i have a hd dvd. it's beat up but i can take pics if needed. also willing to sell it. i don't know OBO. just let me know. thank you. you all have a one

JustAnyone

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
AGName
mindaugasgt
AG Join Date
Jul 10, 2018
iirc there was a problem marrying the drive to the motherboard.
probably requires rewriting dvd key onto it? but afaik if you dont marry normal dvd drive to your motherboard you cant only play games on it, only watch movies what OP wants

JustAnyone

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
AGName
mindaugasgt
AG Join Date
Jul 10, 2018
would like to get one someday and verify this theory :D (not now though)

Americandad

Registered
Jun 28, 2019
AGName
Americandad
AG Join Date
July 4, 2011
probably requires rewriting dvd key onto it? but afaik if you dont marry normal dvd drive to your motherboard you cant only play games on it, only watch movies what OP wants
Is that true? I've got no clue tbh, but I like the idea. Hopefully someone will figure it out. Would like iXtreme for the hddvd too :p

Arcadia

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia

Well being able to play games would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker not being able to either.

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Not to you, maybe. But an "Ultimate" XBOX that won't play games - hardly is.

Before someone says "you can play them off of a hard drive" - true, but then you could just rip those HD-DVDs too and forego optical drives altogether.

Reactions: Americandad

JustAnyone

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
AGName
mindaugasgt
AG Join Date
Jul 10, 2018
bumping this thread, i actually got hd dvd a few weeks ago and wanted to verify my theory
while drive exterior was definitely designed to get inside the console sometime (look at the pic, see those two black things? they were used to orient xbox dvd properly, but in this chassis theyre unused.)
1607804549819.png
Sadly my theory got debunked when i saw what connector it uses (pic below)
1607804512239.png
It kind of reminds me of old laptop dvd connector, but its not exactly the same.
Internals also look proprietary
1607804512064.png
so yeah, without some major modifications you cannot use it inside the console

Attachments

• 1607804441446.png
    1607804441446.png
    509.1 KB · Views: 0

gladiator5

Jun 5, 2019
AGName
gladiator5
AG Join Date
Jun 25, 2012
The dvd firmware should be dumped, and compared to the other Toshiba drive firmware thats being used in the 360

And how different is the board compared to the thoshiba pcb in the other dvd drive.

Edward_2452

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 29, 2019
AGName
james2452
prom what I remember the drive has the same mounting posts and the actual internal drives , so I bet the idea was atleast discussed at MS at somepoint
Did they not make a prototype x360 that could play HD DVD'S ? My brother said something about them doing it.

stuntpenguin

Donator
Donator
Registered
Dec 6, 2020
Donations
£1,000.48
AGName
stuntpenguin
AG Join Date
The dvd firmware should be dumped, and compared to the other Toshiba drive firmware thats being used in the 360

And how different is the board compared to the thoshiba pcb in the other dvd drive.
Definitely this. I don't know much about 360 but A good first step might be getting one of these drives linked up to a desktop and tweaking the firmware to be able to read retail discs. Beyond that, the 360 kernel can be patched enough to not care about drive pairings, no? If pairing keys isn't an issue, maybe some other hd-dvd drive could be used as long as it can be firmware modded to read retail discs. I have no clue how the MS media player would handle any of this. It has the codecs I'm sure.
HD DVD video can be encoded using VC-1, H. 264/MPEG-4 AVC, or H. 262/MPEG-2

Ordered one just for fun. Going to try dump that firmware.

while drive exterior was definitely designed to get inside the console sometime
JustAnyone, I'm not sure how to properly quote you in my edit. It's possible that M$ decided to reuse the chassis design to save some moolah. It's equally possible that they did in fact plan to use these in retail consoles. It's a logical step for an intermediate (slimmer, more powerful, feature packed) console needing another selling point. I'm pretty hyped to look at this. I'm kind of a fiend for USB driver bugs so this is a home run as far as weekend projects go for me haha

Last edited:
Reactions: Americandad

JustAnyone

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
AGName
mindaugasgt
AG Join Date
Jul 10, 2018
Beyond that, the 360 kernel can be patched enough to not care about drive pairings, no? If pairing keys isn't an issue, maybe some other hd-dvd drive could be used as long as it can be firmware modded to read retail discs.
pretty sure no one has done this yet even for normal drives
I have no clue how the MS media player would handle any of this. It has the codecs I'm sure.
AFAIK the player (which is stored on 256mb nand on board which plugs to the back of HD-DVD drive) should have all the codecs, disc drive is just a disc drive. You can also plug it to a PC and use it as a generic cd/dvd/hd-dvd reader (sadly all software players nowadays dont have hd-dvd support)

Americandad

Registered
Jun 28, 2019
AGName
Americandad
AG Join Date
July 4, 2011
all software players nowadays
MPC-BE/MPC-HC/VLC all play HDDVD video fine, they won't play the disc menus though and you'll need AnyDVD or DVDFab because the discs are encrypted.

I also recently got one of these but got super disappointed because the laser on it is dying. So I stuffed it into the nearest drawer to forget about my disappointment. 😅

JustAnyone

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
AGName
mindaugasgt
AG Join Date
Jul 10, 2018
MPC-BE/MPC-HC/VLC all play HDDVD video fine, they won't play the disc menus though and you'll need AnyDVD or DVDFab because the discs are encrypted.

I also recently got one of these but got super disappointed because the laser on it is dying. So I stuffed it into the nearest drawer to forget about my disappointment. 😅
thats weird, tried playing with MPC-HC and VLC but both refused to play anything

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
360 HDVD is IDE ver , look custom design ,but still can find information from real Toshiba drive...
here is 3 more on Toshiba .....
IDE SD-H802A
notebook IDE SD-L802
SATA SD-H802

Make a donation