Bazatree

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jan 21, 2019
Donations
£5.00
As you know it is possible to install 1838 recovery on any Xenon XDK and some Zephyr devkits with the right GPU by using DVD recovery.

I've managed to get Xenon Devkit and I was able to install 1838 recovery on it. The problem is, as people told me, 1838 does something weird when it installs and it corrupts SMC config. As a result, the wireless controller doesn't work and fans are spinning in full speed. The console becomes semi bricked.
Starting from this moment the only way to recover it is to flash an old NAND, because otherwise it will be semi bricked even by installing newer recoveries.

I've hear that it is somehow possible to fix it by going to 1888 and do something with the NAND... Can someone explain how to do it?

Last edited:

Bazatree

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jan 21, 2019
Donations
£5.00
Okay... according to some hints the problem occurs because of the bad smc in 1838 NAND. As I understand, it is possible to fix the problem by importing a good SMC from a donor nand image.

UPDATE.
It is indeed an issue with SMC.
I was on "12625" recovery and dumped the nand. (Good SMC)
Then I downgraded to 1888 and dumped the nand. (Good SMC)
Then I downgraded to 1838 and dumped the nand. (BAD SMC)
Then I updated to 1888 and dumped the nand. (BAD SMC)
Then I extracted good SCM via "360 Flash Tool" from the older 1888 nand and imported it to the 1888 with the bad smc. It solved the problem.

So yeah, this is why you must backup your nand before doing this stuff. But anyways, if you can fix 1888, then you can fix 1838, but the problem is, I didn't find any tool, which opens 1838 image......

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Riley541

emoose

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
RGBuild had some support for 1838/1640 NAND images IIRC, can't really remember if it's able to write out to 1838 images though, or if the later versions kept any of that beta-NAND support.

You can probably just hex edit it though, SMC should start at 0x1080 (0x1000 without ECC/spare) in the NAND image, 0x3180 bytes (0x3000 without ECC)
Not sure if 1838 also kept it there though, there's a field in NAND header that gives SMC address, but I don't know the offset for that field off the top of my head (value has to be adjusted to add spare size though, just divide by 512 & multiply by 528)

If you do hex edit it, make sure to repair ECC/spare using nandpro "*w#" command or something similar.

Reactions: Bazatree

Make a donation