Xbox One S XDK as Retail Console

sulaco

Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
AGName
sulaco
AG Join Date
Jan 28, 2018
I was able to get an Xbox One S XDK for a reasonable price with plans to use it just as a retail console. I've read that I wouldn't be able to activate it as a Dev Kit anyway, since it wasn't purchased with my account.

I've run through some initial tests while signed out and it doesn't seem to have any issue planning a retail game. Should I have any concern signing in with my normal Microsoft account?

Going through the settings there doesn't seem to be anything notable to indicate that it's an XDK. AFAICT, there wasn't anything on the box when I got it. It looks pretty much unused. It looks like it was a whitebox console originally sent out in June of this year. Before I risk overwriting anything is there anything I should look for or dump?

This is my first Xbox One. I'm not really familiar with the platform.

Reactions: Wanderer of AG

Chr0m3 x MoDz

Registered
Jan 25, 2019
AGName
Chr0m3 x MoDz
AG Join Date
Oct 8, 2014
You should probably dump backup and dump the HDD before you do anything in case there is anything you can preserve on there, @Damien will know more and be able to help with that.

On the other hand if it's an XDK it should still be able to be used as a retail as long as it's not in development mode, I've used an XDK as a retail for years now and not had any issues.

AS918

Donator
Donator
Registered
Feb 13, 2019
Donations
£10.00
While the XDK may not be able to be used as a dev kit, dumping the drive is still highly recommended for preservation's sake.

Also, using an XDK as a retail is... sometimes frowned upon. I'm not sure how it is on the Xbox One scene, but the 360 scene I remember had some people try to use XDKs as retails, and the responses to those posts were mixed, from helpful, to less than helpful. (People in that scene preferred to keep dev kits for dev stuff, and retails for actual game playing, but since activation is a thing now on Xbox One/PS4, it's much less of an issue, afaik)

Make a donation