Xbox360 Devkits - How to fix a dead Sidecar (Yes, really..)

STiP0

Dead Rising & XDKs
Gold Member
A much needed bump/update. 2018/04/28

Sidecars are very easy to fix, so finally in 2018 .. let's fix em.

As I've discovered nearly a year ago, it isn't voltage related at all.
- The cause of sidecar deaths is because the SDK forcefully tries to update the FPGA, which attempts to actually update the firmware but usually fails at 0x0, nulling the entire partition.

You can fix this yourself, there's no reason i should hoard this info anymore as it's literally explained in the SDK, just nobody bothered to look lol.

@Demon @Morphicsn0w Maybe sticky this?

Last edited:

Demon

Super Moderator
Website
www.obscuregamers.com
I've never heard of this myself but then again I do only have 1 phat sidecar. (Weirdly dead :p) has anybody taking one of these dead sidecars apart to see whats fried? it's quite possible as you said it's overvoltage.

fate6

Lolita Dress Collector
Gold Member
Question! Why leave the sidecar connected? I assume we are talking the DVDEmu USB and if so why are people connecting that at all? beside messing with it for lulz there is no reason to use it over just running games from HDD.

STiP0

Dead Rising & XDKs
Gold Member
Question! Why leave the sidecar connected? I assume we are talking the DVDEmu USB and if so why are people connecting that at all? beside messing with it for lulz there is no reason to use it over just running games from HDD.
I'd say it's more common to those who need to do quick development testing of custom executables, or those who actively play with source code builds of their games. It's faster to build an iso and send it to GDE than to transfer the file and everything along with it.

I used to leave mine plugged into for the whole gimmick of it, saying "i did it cause i could" & "i have a sidecar, and its cool" - this eventually killed my sidecar lol...

Last edited:

fate6

Lolita Dress Collector
Gold Member
I'd say it's more common to those who need to do quick development testing of custom executables, or those who actively play with source code builds of their games. It's faster to build and iso and send it to GDE than to transfer the file and everything along with it.

I used to leave mine plugged into for the whole gimmick of it, saying "i did it cause i could" & "i have a sidecar, and its cool" - this eventually killed my sidecar lol...
In a dev environment yea its fast but you can push code to the HDD ya know, Only reason to use the DVDEmu is to check for compliance with access times and shiz.

EDIT: and yes also cause fak it you have one so what evz :D

XeDK

Not A New Member
Gold Member
I have three I'm going to start looking into. Trying to fix them and get them working again.

@STiP0 Edit: before I do are we talking about E79 error when the sidecar won't read the hdd anymore?

I haven't observed this before....but if it helps my slim sidecar was plugged in via USB to my comp for around a year straight while I was doing development and it's still kicking to this day. However, this is vastly different hardware than what phats have. It is possible that maybe one of the newer USB ports could be sending too much since 3.0/.1 was not super flushed out during the development of the phat sidecar.

STiP0

Dead Rising & XDKs
Gold Member
@XeDK @STiP0 Edit: before I do are we talking about E79 error when the sidecar won't read the hdd anymore?
Yep i'm talking about not reading the top board completely, HDD connected causing fault.

X360

Gold Member
Id personally would love to check a few things electrically on a dead sidecar. My guess is that there is a 0ohm resistor that may stop conducting over time which would simply be replaced with a piece of wire. Would need to check voltages/continuity.

STiP0

Dead Rising & XDKs
Gold Member
@XboxSurgeon @Atlas @Esteen356 @XeDK @Kebob @Lehvak @fate6 @Demon @gaming247 @Digmac

You can't make this shit up... My XNA sidecar just died,

after attempting to emulate some games over DVDEMU, it now no longer works.
It has the dreaded Green LED near the back of the sidecar, on the bottom board. This always comes on when a sidecar dies.
PC cannot detect the sidecar, neither can the xbox. Kit boots up without HDD present.
Update: Kit boots up to RROD, or 1 red flashing LED.
Plugging in DVDEMU to PC does not show the extra LED on the sidecar when hooked up.

Game Disc emulator shows a total fault error.

Moral of the story? Never hook up DVDEMU to your PC, your kit will be a ticking timebomb.

Last edited:
I never connect my devkits to a pc. Put the build on a usb stick and load it using xexmenu .
I never use my devkits ,i use a rgh with rg loader.

fate6

Lolita Dress Collector
Gold Member
@XboxSurgeon @Atlas @Esteen356 @XeDK @Kebob @Lehvak @fate6 @Demon @gaming247 @Digmac

You can't make this shit up... My XNA sidecar just died,

after attempting to emulate some games over DVDEMU, it now no longer works.
It has the dreaded Green LED near the back of the sidecar, on the bottom board. This always comes on when a sidecar dies.
PC cannot detect the sidecar, neither can the xbox. Kit boots up without HDD present.
Update: Kit boots up to RROD, or 1 red flashing LED.
Plugging in DVDEMU to PC does not show the extra LED on the sidecar when hooked up.

Game Disc emulator shows a total fault error.

Moral of the story? Never hook up DVDEMU to your PC, your kit will be a ticking timebomb.

Meh I have gotten that error before and my sidecar still works fine, got it a few times now in fact.
Granted I don't keep mine connected all the time so IDK.

I never connect my devkits to a pc. Put the build on a usb stick and load it using xexmenu .
I never use my devkits ,i use a rgh with rg loader.
What is even the point of having an XDK if you're not going to use it? Plus just use neighborhood to transfer files. :/

STiP0

Dead Rising & XDKs
Gold Member
The simple fact is, don't plug the sidecar into your PC. Use your XDK like normal over ethernet, but avoid the Sidecar USBs.

fate6

Lolita Dress Collector
Gold Member
The simple fact is, don't plug the sidecar into your PC. Use your XDK like normal over ethernet, but avoid the Sidecar USBs.
Or get a good PC that wont kill from its USB with good cables scrub :p

I'm confused. Why does using DVDEMU cause the sidecar to die???
The theory is maybe some resister is being fried but we don't know yet, seems Stipo will be the one thats going to check and find out :p

EDIT: @STiP0 Have you tried using the DVDemu since getting that error? or does the whole thing HDD and all not work anymore?

I have gotten that error but ignored it since my kit kept on going like normal.

STiP0

Dead Rising & XDKs
Gold Member
Or get a good PC that wont kill from its USB with good cables scrub :p
The theory is maybe some resister is being fried but we don't know yet, seems Stipo will be the one thats going to check and find out :p
Game Disc Emulator seemed to try to apply a firmware update to my sidecar, it failed twice.
The console worked as normal for about an hour, 4 reboots later and everything, it finally bit the dust after finally rebooting like a 5th time. This could be the true issue. FW update on the sidecar from FF.FF to 61

fate6

Lolita Dress Collector
Gold Member
Game Disc Emulator seemed to try to apply a firmware update to my sidecar, it failed twice.
The console worked as normal for about an hour, 4 reboots later and everything, it finally bit the dust after finally rebooting like a 5th time. This could be the true issue. FW update on the sidecar from FF.FF to 61
Im on .18 and remove the update folders from games before making the ISO(if I remember :D) which might be what has been keeping my sidecar intact.

Actually the disc drive firmware also gets flashed in some updates so maybe thats whats happening? the DVDemu/sidecar gets bricked?

XeDK

Not A New Member
Gold Member
God dam @STiP0 this is your 2nd sidecar you killed. Blow it up and grab one off eBay for $200:smug: