Here are some links you may find helpful

YouTube channels featuring original hardware, not emulation

BomberDino

Original poster
Registered
Aug 23, 2020
AGName
BomberDino
Does anyone know of YouTube channels that make it a point to capture from original hardware? I don't want to make this a debate about whether or not emulation is acceptable. Just for me personally, it detracts from the viewing experience when the graphics, colors, sound, etc are a bit different from what I remember. Even the emulation consoles like Genesis Mini make me nervous. I thought my geriatric hands were failing me, but playing Sonic on an actual Genesis recently was a much better experience. It could have been the original controller, I don't know. In any case, I'd love to know if any of your favorite channels are mostly original hardware.

Yakumo

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Yakumo
AG Join Date
From the beginning (whenever that was)
Every single one of my Retro Core 5 shows uses ONLY original hardware. Check out the playlist here -

Some nice videos are:

There are many shows in the seines covering mane systems. As I said, All are 100% real hardware focused.

x1z36x

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
Xzx123
AG Join Date
Mar 19, 2013
What kind of videos are you looking for? Straight up gameplay, reviews, comedy?

BomberDino

Original poster
Registered
Aug 23, 2020
AGName
BomberDino
Videos like Yakumo's are great. But gameplay (whether playthrough or reviewish) and detailed reviews of singular games are good, too

Awbacon

Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

Shameless plug. Outside of talking about unported arcade games (because I can't buy them all) I only show original hardware and gameplay.

So far I've done the 3DO M2 (including all the arcade hardware), the FM Towns Marty, Hyper Neo Geo 64, CPS 2, and Sega Saturn. Plus some videos on the Apple Pippin. Plus a ton of modding / coding, blah blah

But I started the channel with the intent of only using / showcasing original hardware and games running on it

No Good

Jun 4, 2019
AGName
good
AG Join Date
Sep 9, 2010
Mostly HW recordings, Japanese games walkthroughs

Last edited:

JustAnyone

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
AGName
mindaugasgt
AG Join Date
Jul 10, 2018
shameless self promo as well, various prerelease game build gameplays captured on real hardware

BomberDino

Original poster
Registered
Aug 23, 2020
AGName
BomberDino
Thanks everyone! You are wasting all of my time in the best way possible. The sheer variety and innovation of the 80s and 90s is a lot of fun to revisit. The local variety is especially interesting. I've had friends who grew up outside America and, while I used Apple IIe and had Commodore at home, they used Sinclair Spectrum, Amiga, and Atari ST. There are still some regional differences today based on availability and preferences. Mostly I see this as PC gaming vs console gaming. It doesn't feel the same as the completely different architectures of years past, though.

@JustAnyone, I haven't viewed your channel yet. I had a friend who would play Test Drive Le Mans on the DC all day. I'm sure he would be interested in your channel, too.

I don't like everything on the Sega Lord X channel, but often the video description will say whether original hardware was used or not. This latest video was superb (although I'm not buying his reasoning):

I was looking at some C64 playthroughs yesterday. They are termed "longplays". Is there an honor system that these must be played on real hardware?

Reactions: JustAnyone

DScapades

Sep 15, 2020
Does anyone know of YouTube channels that make it a point to capture from original hardware? I don't want to make this a debate about whether or not emulation is acceptable. Just for me personally, it detracts from the viewing experience when the graphics, colors, sound, etc are a bit different from what I remember. Even the emulation consoles like Genesis Mini make me nervous. I thought my geriatric hands were failing me, but playing Sonic on an actual Genesis recently was a much better experience. It could have been the original controller, I don't know. In any case, I'd love to know if any of your favorite channels are mostly original hardware.

I have a YouTube channel where I review and document obscure nintendo ds games. I record straight from my ds, and honestly, I think it looks better than off of an emulator. Emulated ds games look so rigid and blocky. I have learned to make sure my camera is slightly out of focus otherwise it would capture the scan lines that aren’t visible to the naked eye. It’s a lot of extra work compared to capturing emulated Games, but I think it looks a lot more natural. And I can include the stylus and touch screen, which you can’t really do if you are doing emulation.

Anyways, As an example, here’s a video I did on the DS game based on the tv show House MD.

Gentlegamer

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
Everything on Game Sack is from original hardware, except in cases where the classic minis or the like are being reviewed and compared to the real thing.

Make a donation