Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
So I recently discovered this Japan-only compilation of games made by Yu Suzuki. I don't know if it's obscure, although it commands a premium on Ebay, but it has probably flown under my radar because it was never released over here. Given it's name, there would probably have been a second compilation, if not a third and so on had only the Dreamcast been more successful. Although, they continued to release compilations for the PS2, so why not Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol 2?

Does anyone know what games would have been considered for a second volume?

PopetherevXXVIII

Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
It was all the AM2 games from Shenmue +Power Drift sold with a book.

A vol 2 probably would have had other AM2 Arcade games Suzuki worked on.

Allie

The Original VF3 Fangirl™
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
I don't believe a second volume of Game Works was ever seriously considered, but the first wasn't released until late 2001, so it wouldn't surprise me if a follow-up was to include the original Virtua Fighter, since that was rapidly approaching its 10th anniversary, which AM2 celebrated with the similar Memory Of Decade book and DVD set. Just as Game Works Vol. 1 featured the biggest "Super Scaler" titles, I reckon its sequel might have covered VF1 and Yu Suzuki's other major contribution to what later became known as the Model 1 arcade board: Virtua Racing. If pixel-perfect conversions of those two absolute classics weren't enough on their own to justify such a set existing, maybe they could have also thrown in Virtua Cop and Daytona USA, though I'm not sure the latter would have happened so soon after its 2001 edition.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Yakumo made a video about this years ago. You should check it out, if you’re interested in this. Among other things, he discusses differences between the games included on the disc and other versions.

Reactions: Yakumo and Arcadia

Arcadia

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Take my pick? We'll I'd pick Scud Race and Daytona USA 2, but I'm not holding my breath. 90's racing arcade games are criminally absent from game compilations and re-releases.

Slayer2k8

Registered
Mar 1, 2019
dreamcastcollector.com
I assume thats due to licensing issues for Scud Race & Daytona 2 and many other similar games which either isn't financially viable for a digital release or simply not available by the various right holders.

Make a donation