Ivan Guber

Original poster
Jun 4, 2019
AGName
Ivan GR
AG Join Date
Jul 29, 2017
XL2 said:
Follow up to my video of 2 weeks ago. It's a real hardware test using my USB dev cart to transfer data (which is why you can still hear the cd music while it loads) and a USB capture card (which causes interlacing for some stupid reasons I can't understand). I am testing bullets here and overall collision detection. It's not 100% perfect and I am not sure if I will be keeping the current version of the engine (BSP based). The BSP based engine is causing me a TON of frustrations/problems (like the BSP ray tracing failing like you shoot at an invisible wall), so I am starting to look at already available map editors (Tomb Raider maybe) and fully change the engine...again. Something like the Tomb Raider format sounds nice on paper (so did BSP...), with heightmaps, rooms and portals. It's VERY frustrating : I felt close to start working on gameplay and 3d models! BSP is nice since it's easy to find your current position using it, have portals autogenerated (and then just use a PVS to cull out geometry) you can do raytracing and many useful things. But it requires many divisions and other things the Saturn isn't that good with, so it's not optimal. It seems that the divisions cause rounding errors too and make the BSP fail. Anyway, with portals I can cull out even more polygons, so it's not all bad. Unless someone can give me a hand with BSP based collision (and again it's not optimal, a portal based engine would be better), I'll just change the technique...some 4-5 months down the drain...again! Oh, and before you ask : No, Vasectomy Software is not a real thing

jollyroger

Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
jollyroger
AG Join Date
XenForo says Oct 18, 2008, but actually I originally register in 1998...
I wish I had time to help him to work on the code...
Beyond some good conversations I have with him about techniques and algorithms, that is...

8bitplus

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
8bitplus
AG Join Date
Looks great. I wish more FPS engines on the Saturn were this good back in the days.

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
Impressive stuff, nice to see that the Saturn is also getting some indie/homebrew love!

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Damn, every time I see what he has done with this engine it is all the more impressive. I think it is time to maybe start looking into getting another Saturn haha. But I just got too many consoles as it is, all 3 Xbox generations, PS3 and Dreamcast, as well as Gaming PC, not tons of room for much more lol. 6 systems for me is the sweet spot, but damn super tempted to get another Saturn. Almost feel bad I had to end up selling my last one.

XL2

Registered
Jun 26, 2019
AGName
XL2
AG Join Date
20-07-2017
AI, some animations and some basic gameplay.
I think for the gameplay it will be more like the terrorist hunt mode in Rainbow Six, where you must just kill everybody to move on.
It should make a decent coop multiplayer game as well.

Last edited:

Yakumo

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Yakumo
AG Join Date
From the beginning (whenever that was)
That's is one mighty impressive game engine. Seems to be mostly locked at 30fps too. Great work. I hope this engine will be used in a game at some point.

Solotaire

Registered
May 30, 2019
This looks GORGEOUS! Is there a game to be ported, or a homebrew FPS that this engine is targeting to be used with?

XL2

Registered
Jun 26, 2019
AGName
XL2
AG Join Date
20-07-2017
This looks GORGEOUS! Is there a game to be ported, or a homebrew FPS that this engine is targeting to be used with?
I am making a game with it, I just haven't come up with a name yet, but I know that I will start with a rather "easy" to make concept where you just need to kill all the enemies to finish a map.
It's more realistic than aiming at a game like Powerslave right from the start.
For the next few weeks I will be focusing on pickups, particle effects (blood, dust), adding 1 or 2 other weapons and maybe traps and doors.
And the biggest thing that I've been pushing back is to integrate a new map format.
In other words I still have lot of work to do, but it's starting to look like a game.

Awbacon

Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Super impressive. The framerate looks super solid

XL2

Registered
Jun 26, 2019
AGName
XL2
AG Join Date
20-07-2017
I tested Saturn Quake's E1l1 with AI and pickups to see if it could hold up.
My transformation code still isn't optimized and that map isn't optimal for my engine (lots of overlapping geometry whichs can break the bsp tree), but it runs at 20-30, even with 6 enemies on screen.

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Out of curiosity, so is the Sonix Extreme homebrew game no longer being developed?

Make a donation