• We have added an "AG" Registration date/Username profile option. If you add this upon signup we'll be able to verify faster thanks. (If already joined you can edit under profile settings.)

If you had an account on OG1 you will need to re-register as this is a new start for all.

Asian Sega MegaDrive/GameGear/Master System?/MegaCD? Game List

• Admin

Damien

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
AG User Name
Demon
AG Join Date
Aug 11, 2008
Awhile ago people brought up Asian/Taiwan versions of games and I keep forgetting to make a thread on Asian/Taiwan versions that seem very obscure and hard to come by. More so the later versions with teal/blue/red art and the metallic like logo.

The rarest seem to be MasterSystem/MegaCD versions having never seen any pics. (do they exist?) followed by Asian Game Gear Games.

Here's some pics I've collected over the years from various people/sources.

GameGear
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Only "real" version I've ever seen.

ho9kGS2.jpg
Followed by multiple "Sonic & Tails 2" bootlegs the part that confuses me here is the two pics of the boxed copys have a green background vs the blue in the confirmed bootlegs. Is it possible these are actually real? The only issue with that thinking is they still say "game" which is normally used in bootlegs.
LvpVb4k.jpggWHYail.jpghMyGHPG.jpgFEa2Mqg.jpg

Next rarest would be Mega Drive with the teal, I know @dyer60 has a huge collection and believe he now owns some of these.

2EowqUy.jpg
WApaSVd.jpg3TowFMC.jpg
fS3b7Is.jpgYTi1FVz.jpg

And finally the Mega Drive 32X which appears most common.

CBBfV8x.jpg
u0LVd3I.jpgVjxzqTv.jpgaxUuZip.jpggV6UXYg.jpg

Does anybody have any I missed or know of more? does Mega CD versions exist?

Tyree_Cooper

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
The boxed "Sonic & Tails 2" are definitely fake. There's an obvious off-centre "GAME" logo on the front plastic shell, under the label.
The one in the first photo though, seems to be official, but could be the same fake label on a real cart. I've had some Asian GG games and they all came in a generic case that was used for Asian Game Gear games. Seems they didn't bother making boxes and manuals, after trying with Ecco. I've also seen Tec Toy Game Gear games sold in the same generic cases, maybe unsold stock moved to different regions.

I had 2 other Asian GG games in generic boxes, I'm trying very hard to remember what they were, but I just forgot. Sold them on eBay for cheap many years ago. Maybe they were multi game collections, like the MD ones.... who knows i really can't remember.

My Triple Trouble has a completely different label than your photos, and mine's legit, so either that label is fake, or it could be that this game has 2 asian labels (unlikely but who knows):

japanese for comparison

ive seen a handful of asian megacd games but they were pal with a distributor sticker slapped on the inlay

master system i think so far we only know of one game, mah-jong, also spelled mak-jong as a variant

Last edited:

Trimesh

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
The biggest problem with this stuff is that the line between "real" and "fake" in HK was always pretty blurred. It was common for importers to do things like get games with foreign language packaging (but the game in English) and simply reprint the labels, boxes and documentation. This was technically a trademark violation, but nobody really cared - especially if the actual product was legit.

This is the main reason I never bothered to try and collect HK stuff despite living here.

dyer60

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
Cool thread.

For the Mega Drive they are known in the community as "teal box" release (due to the edge colour of the artwork). As well as Sonic & Knuckles/Ecco Tides of Time/Mega Games 10 there is:

Mega Bomberman

Batman & Robin:

There are of course a load of official Sega Mega Drive Asian releases with different style artwork, most can be found here:

As far as I am aware there are no Master System games with similar artwork and as far as Mega-Cd games there are a few known, however they are essentially PAL artwork games with a sticker, not sure if they are NTSC coded though, for example:

Game Gear is an interesting one, I am only aware of Ecco but as @Trimesh states there are a lot of fakes, who knows, it is part of the reason I love this area of collecting, they are so obscure!

By the way I collect these so if anyone has any drop me a PM.

Last edited:

Solotaire

Reaction score
Im sorry I cant be of any help, but that cover for Dungeon Explorer is amazing.

Trimesh

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
Game Gear is an interesting one, I am only aware of Ecco but as @Trimesh states there are a lot of fakes, who knows, it is part of the reason I love this area of collecting, they are so obscure!
Yeah, it's certainly an interesting market, and even more so back at the time these games were current. It's lost a lot of it's "wild east" character now, though.

For the old products, you can basically put things into 4 different categories:

1) Officially imported product (行貨)
2) Parallel import product (水貨)
3) Modified products (like the reprinting I was talking about earlier)
4) Entirely fake/bootleg stuff

Telling them apart can be a challenge - generally speaking, things with specific HK packaging are official imports, but they might also be grey imports with the packaging reprinted (I.E. 3 in my list). Products that have some foreign region packaging with stickers on them are mostly parallel imports, although there were some cases where the official distributors did the same thing, especially if the volumes were low. Most of the time, the only way you can be sure is by checking the name of the distributor.

Also note that in HK parallel importers have no need to try and hide since what they were doing is entirely legal - there was a case years ago where one of the watch companies (possibly Rolex?) tried to get an injunction against one of the HK jewelry store chains to prevent them from selling gray market watches - they lost the case on the basis that since Hong Kong is a free port then anyone has the right to import, export, buy or sell any legal product - and that hence in Hong Kong any purported exclusive distribution agreement was without legal force.

This is why sites like price.com.hk typically list two price ranges for things. The top one (行)is the price for officially imported products an d the second one(水)is the parallel import price. It's just one of the things that makes HK such a strange place...

HKprices.jpg

dyer60

Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
a
Yeah, it's certainly an interesting market, and even more so back at the time these games were current. It's lost a lot of it's "wild east" character now, though.

For the old products, you can basically put things into 4 different categories:

1) Officially imported product (行貨)
2) Parallel import product (水貨)
3) Modified products (like the reprinting I was talking about earlier)
4) Entirely fake/bootleg stuff

Telling them apart can be a challenge - generally speaking, things with specific HK packaging are official imports, but they might also be grey imports with the packaging reprinted (I.E. 3 in my list). Products that have some foreign region packaging with stickers on them are mostly parallel imports, although there were some cases where the official distributors did the same thing, especially if the volumes were low. Most of the time, the only way you can be sure is by checking the name of the distributor.

Also note that in HK parallel importers have no need to try and hide since what they were doing is entirely legal - there was a case years ago where one of the watch companies (possibly Rolex?) tried to get an injunction against one of the HK jewelry store chains to prevent them from selling gray market watches - they lost the case on the basis that since Hong Kong is a free port then anyone has the right to import, export, buy or sell any legal product - and that hence in Hong Kong any purported exclusive distribution agreement was without legal force.

This is why sites like price.com.hk typically list two price ranges for things. The top one (行)is the price for officially imported products an d the second one(水)is the parallel import price. It's just one of the things that makes HK such a strange place...

View attachment 1841
That’s useful information, I heading to HK in August, this will really help me out. Oh and if you know any good retro stores drop me a PM.

Many thanks.

Opa-Opa

Reaction score
Wow Dungeon Explorer japanese MCD version with Euro Mega-CD font (?), Im confoosed:oops: Is it in english? Probably... and 4Players, wow!