E3 Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion Lounge' started by PixelButts, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Diversity

Diversity I don't fully see yet

I'm not sure. Is this even a "Like or not" type of game? I mean I was really ecstatic about the game hitting PC during the "Games for Windows" series in the mid-to-late 90ies but when I finally played it at home I was a bit shocked because of the stiff controls of the character and the high difficulty. However I did not dislike it for some odd reason, it was some kind of love-hate-relationship between me and the game.

And up to this day the original soundtrack CD is still in my possession giving the game a good thumb up which - I'm sure - a lot of people share with me. It's difficult, its control behavior is clumsy but the story told is immersive and the way the story is implemented into the actual game by using dynamic comic frames and what not is something that made this game one of the gems of its era.

TLDR: No, I don't think you're the only one :D

pawncrackers likes this.
  2. Wombat

Wombat Gold Member

Don't get your hopes up, SEGA Forever is most likely going to turn out as a subscription channel to play emulated classics on your smartphone, tablet or desktop.

pawncrackers, DeChief and Nex like this.
  3. pawncrackers

pawncrackers Member

Wrong! ;) I really admired the style when I first saw Comix Zone in magazines, and continue to enjoy it now. I wonder what they have up their sleeves!

L

BetaGuy64 likes this.
  4. speedyink

speedyink Dev Kit Owner

Yeah it's definitely to do with mobile.. which is an automatic "I'm out"

pawncrackers and DeChief like this.
  5. DeChief

DeChief Gold Member

Me too. :oops:

speedyink likes this.
  6. pawncrackers

pawncrackers Member

I concur.. Maybe Japan has that market over there, but not necessarily over here in the West. You can only hope it's something more substantial.

L

speedyink likes this.
  7. speedyink

speedyink Dev Kit Owner

If they were smart they'd make it available on the Switch too. How cool would that be?

pawncrackers likes this.
  8. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Member

I'm hyped for the new metroid games
    sadly no mention of saturn VC yet

9. pawncrackers

pawncrackers Member

That would be extremely smart, but I haven't supported Nintendo for a long while.. Blatantly milking their user base with countless iterations of DS/3DS/2DS (what?), remake after remake, and reading how old Wii purchases materialize into thin air, not to carry over to other systems was the final straw. Wii U again, was smart, but Switch is an overpriced, glorified tablet with a plethora of issues.

I do have a little more respect for Nintendo, after they announced support of cross play with Xbox and PC players on Minecraft! Now THAT'S a smart decision, that could see other games potentially do the same. It's that level of openness that will pave the future. :) PlayStation need to change their business attitude, as they apparently have zero interest in promoting cross play. Some devs have a different view on things.

Sega's new project is in fact based on mobile - no different to what they've been releasing over the past 10 years on iOS, Android and rarely on Windows Phone.. The other half of me again, hopes for something more.

L

gaming247 likes this.
  10. speedyink

speedyink Dev Kit Owner

And console mid life refreshes are acceptable? I'm sorry, I don't see how Nintendo is exclusive to useless console revisions, or countless remakes. Just don't be an idiot by buying them all. All my Wii purchases are still on my Wii, it doesn't bother me.

The Switch is not just a glorified tablet, If you do think that you haven't played one. I despise phone/tablet gaming in general, playing the Switch is nothing like playing on a 'mobile'.
    I haven't had a single problem with mine, so not sure what that's all about.

11. Miker525

Miker525 Dev Kit Owner

Outside of OG Xbox support I was really disappointed with this E3. Devolver definitely stole the show.

pawncrackers likes this.
  12. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Member

Nintendo delivered big time
    >announced a home console mainline Pokemon game
    >getting a Mario 64 on lsd
    >not only one but TWO metroid games
    Nintendo totally blew microsoft and sony out of the water this E3
    >btw it was funny how microsoft was talking 4k capabilities on their console by showing minecraft. like why XD

13. pawncrackers

pawncrackers Member

DS, DS Lite, DSi, DS XL, 3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS, New 3DS XL, 2DS, New 2DS, not including all the limited editions, from 2004 - present.. 10 machines, all at £130 - £200 price points per unit.

Nintendo had the Wii console, which is in the same vein as Xbox, handhelds were very much in Nintendo's favour, although PSP and PS Vita were the competition.

Xbox 360, 3 revisions, 360, 360 S, 360 E, not including the limited editions.

It's like Capcom with Street Fighter, Resident Evil and Mega Man - they can't stop re-releasing the same stuff over and over. I hope you can see this from my perspective. :)

If you've used a tablet, you've used them all. I happened to try the Linx gaming tablet, and the Switch, and came to the decision that it's not for me. A £90 Linx, or a £250/275 Switch = wallet says no to BOTH, lol! We spend all day in phones, on PC's on TV's, my eyes need a bloody break! xD

Although the graphics are very pretty, I'd rather use a VIta for emulation and a dedicated console for gaming. Wii U was imaginative and died TOO soon. Switch game prices also need a serious look, but that's just my opinion, lol! No beef :) Legit question, what is happening to those LEGIONS of Amiibos?

L

ps- This is what I was talking about when I mentioned 'a plethora of problems'. I also witnessed around 5 malfunctions during various live streams. Like the 360's RROD, this kind of thing shouldn't happen in 2017, lol

14. speedyink

speedyink Dev Kit Owner

No beef or nothing, just gonna try to explain my perspective. Break it down!

Ok so let's limit this to one generation. DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSXL. So the same generation would be the PSP, right? PSP1000, PSP2000, PSP3000, PSP Go. These are all incremental updates, all but the hardcore buy into all of them. I for one, bought a PSP1000, and an OG 3DS. I saw no sense in buying any other versions, as I was a PSP dude back in the day, and now I have a 3DS I can play basically anything from original DS games to brand new 3DS games.

My main point is this sort of thing is no stranger to the industry, regardless of the company. Our job as responsible consumers is to not buy everything that's flung our way.

I've used tablets, I've used phones. My problem with tablets, they're just big phones. Phones don't exactly have games that keep me entertained. I usually just get pissed off at the controls when I get to harder levels, not to mention the race to the bottom pricing scheme allowing for okish titles at best, money grabbing advertising infested freemium garbage at worst. And say I do want to try to play a game with a proper controller. I'm stuck trying to prop the phone/tablet up against something while I use the controller with, you know, two hands.

So..yeah, I know what it's like gaming on a tablet, and the Switch is totally different. The controller clips to the sides, basically making a large GBA, and can be put on the big screen should you want a larger screen, with no screwing around. The games are well designed, with tons of time and effort poured into them. Most importantly, they keep me entertained for more than a week of super casual playing.

Games are expensive, I agree, and I've never owned an amiibo and know little about them, so, I dunno?

So this is like, legit, basically the only video on Youtube where someone has a major problem. Not a whole lot of failures being recorded, except for the joy con disconnect which any people that did have the issue were able to get Nintendo to repair it.
    Let me remind you that the original Xbox 360 had a failure rate of 54%. That is what I call a plethora of problems. What little the Switch has had happen to it is par for any hardware launch.