1. Guest , Please bear with us while we rebuild the site over the coming days.
    A new look for OG has been released.

Featured PSP Moonball (Big Bang Bang) 2003 SCE Tech Demo/Sample for PSP

Discussion in 'Beta Talk' started by Digmac, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Digmac

Digmac Ex Staff Administrator

Today I'd like to present this interesting tech demo/sample made by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2003. It's called Moonball, or Big Bang Bang if you own the UMD, of which we know of only one. From the source code of this tech demo we get the creation date of 9/22/2003, making it some of the earliest known executable code for the PSP. For some reason the UMD that this came from was made late in 2004, which begs the question, why? Originally the sample was made for testing PSP game formatting, and PSP graphics. However it doesn't make much sence that they would need a pressed UMD of such a demo later in 2004 closer to the launch. So then, why keep bringing up the 2003 date? Changes weren't seen in the source code until 6/08/2005, well after this UMD was made. My thinking is the UMD version still uses the same source and is still basically the same demo as they made it in September of 2003, but just on a different medium of testing. It's interesting and debateable to say the least.

As for the tech demo itself, it's fairly simple, with the whole UMD weighing in at 1.53MB, and that isn't a typo. This is possibly the smallest UMD we've ever found. Starting the game brings us to the main screen, and pressing start will start the game. From there we have a crosshair to know where we're shooting, and multi-colored balls that fly up from the water below. The goal is to shoot down all of the balls, although doing so doesn't give you a different result than if you missed some. As the game goes on a detailed moon will sweep over the sky from left to right, giving the demo it's name. Pressing the select button at any time ends the games process and crashes the PSP. That's really it for it, a sample indeed.

Here is a video of Moonball in action on my newly overhauled Proto & Knuckles channel. Don't forget to subscribe for more obscure videos in the future! Thanks guys.

Also, here's an awesome bonus gallery of Moonball (Big Bang Bang) being played on my PSP Testing Tool using the original UMD :D

Special thanks go to @Paulweeze71 for this.

2. gaming247

gaming247 Administrator

An amazing find, and excellent write-up. Very peculiar disc to be pressed so close to launch. Hopefully someone comes forward with more info.

3. Jakeeenator

Jakeeenator Administrator

Very interesting indeed ;)

4. Paulweeze71

Paulweeze71 Administrator

Idk if anyone has had luck compiling the early SDK demos to view them but this was how we determined what it was...

All of the "GRAPHICS" demos on this disc look to be on that very SDK.

gaming247 likes this.
  5. Shovelthumb

Shovelthumb Dev Kit Owner

Nice UMD, I have some others like this with UTST serial. I assume the TST is for TEST. I've seen a Wipeout UMD with the serial and own early Bleach Tech Demo. There's definitely others out there too.

Hope this helps,

Digmac and Paulweeze71 like this.
  6. pato

pato Member

What a misleading thumbnail, the earth is flat.

system2 and Nex like this.
  7. Nex

Nex doesn't even have a devkit Dev Kit Owner

ikr, can't believe people are still thinking it isn't, get real guys

pato likes this.